Oppo BDP-93 vs Denon DBT-1713UD

ivanhurd

My birthday is coming up and I'm looking at what to get. My first choice is a second sub, but if the dealer won't give the same deal as before, my second choice is a bluray player so I can finally enjoy my Dark Side of the Moon SACD...The main reason I'm looking at the denon is because I've heard the denonlink is beneficial for one reason or another since I have the 4311. Any reason why I should go for the oppo instead? They both have the same MSRP. I suppose if I was to go for the oppo, I would end up just waiting for the 103 to come out...waddayathink?

Any idea when the 103 is supposed to come out? That one has some excellent features that may come in handy in the future. From the oppo website:

The BDP-103 represents a marked evolution in OPPO's design and engineering. New to this model are exciting features such as 4k video up-scaling, 2D to 3D conversion, dual HDMI inputs and MHL compatibility. A new dual-core System-on-Chip processor delivers quick startup and fast disc loading speed. With improved network streaming applications and an enriched media playback interface, the BDP-103 is a versatile player that delivers quality picture and premium sound.

Might be worth the wait. Or just wait for an equivalent Denon. I've just read a lot of good about the denonlink and it might be worth it to get it for that reason.

Hrmm...my bday is in October...tough choice there. I'm still opting for a second sub first methinks. I should also probably upgrade my TV before I upgrade my bluray player...and I guess I should have clicked around a little more to see that release date. I bet that 105 is going to be a beast.

• 3 weeks later...

Wifee let me open my bday present a couple days early and she got me the Denon, and I am excited to use it. I'm already listening to Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1 and it's pretty freakin awesome. I can't wait to start expanding my SACD/DVD-Audio collection! My woman is the bomb.

• 2 weeks later...

Had problems with the denon, it wouldn't connect to netflix. I called their techs and they couldn't help me so I sent it back and ordered the oppo 103. It turns out that denonlink isn't actually included in the 1713, so the only reason I wanted it ended up not being an option after I did more reading about it. I'm thinking the oppo will be a better deal with more future proofing. It should be in on Tuesday, looking forward to it =^)