Indoor antenna options for FM and AM

whell

Need some assistance from any of you Radio junkies that might be lurking around these parts!

I work in an office, with a Window that does not open, but have a fairly decent set up in here with a good quality tuner (Yamaha T-85). Reception is horrible, and I'm looking for suggestions for improving reception indoors. Both FM and AM are important.

I think I'm doing OK with FM reception, but if there are any suggestions to improve things over using a basic dipole antenna, I'd appreciate it.

No luck at all with AM reception, though. I'm using the manufacturer's stock plastic AM loop antenna, and have tried different orientations, but little if any improvement.

I've seen some of the Jensen and Terk "amplified antennas", but I've heard that these offer little improvement over the conventional antennas that I'm using. Is this true?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

I have a Terk powered antenna, (one of the $50 range models) and it does boost a poor FM signal...but AM, hey I have no idea. When I bought it, the salesman told me that it would not be much help if you weren't getting some sort of signal to start with.

Whell,

For AM, I like a good water pipe ground hooked up to the ground terminal, and a 100ft straight wire for the antenna terminal. However, in an office, I suspect that's a little unreasonable.

You could try hooking a wire to the antenna terminal (leave the loop antenna too) and hook the other end to the center screw on an electrical outlet plate. I do this makeshift antenna when I'm just trying out a radio - sometimes it's surprisingly good. Five minutes and 10ft of wire.

Regards,

Andy

Whell,

Like you I also have a Yamaha T-85 tuner 1987 vintage and have always been happy with it.But,ever since I moved into my new home 3 years ago, the reception has been less than stellar.The tuner is always trying to "hunt" for the cleanest reception with its IF tuning and its quite annoying as I lose reception while its searching.

I know the tuner is considered one of the best around so I know its not the tuner itself and that has lead me to look at different antennas lately.I had a Terk model for the last 15 years and while its ok it just too direction sensitive-you have to move it around much too often as well as adjust the gain strength.

I am in the process of doing a attic mounted antennae and I'll keep you posted of the results.

Jeff

LOL! No, junkie. A rotor is out of the question. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try wiring a line to the center screw of an outlet. I'm assuming that the wire will attach to my tuners "ground" antenna connection?

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD