New TV inbound!!!

Shodrewken

The Samsung fought hard, but it finally gave up the ghost yesterday right after watching the Bronco's game. I've been giving my wife loving hints that this one was on its way out, and if she wanted I would make the sacrifice and do research for a new TV [6]. This would usually get me a set of rolling eyes, but I finally got the green light. Popped over to Best Buy today and luckily they priced matched the Panasonic TC-P60GT50 I've been looking at. Should be here on Friday with free home delivery. Will post pics once I get it wall mounted. Friday can't get here soon enough [:D]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sammy was gonna be my next choice if this one didn't work out. My buddy actually bought both to decide between the two, he ended up keeping the Sammy because of the free 3d glasses and his wife liked how it looked better than the gt50. I'm glad I was able to see both in a home setting before I bought mine because I did prefer the gy50 over the Sammy but ill have to make that finally decision when I get it on Friday.

Well even if the Broncos lose again this weekend, at least they'll look good doing it =)

I'm a huge Peyton fan, as a matter of fact I drafted him in my FF league and he's having a heck of a year so far. This is a big game for them this week, hope they can pull it off.

Well even if the Broncos lose again this weekend, at least they'll look good doing it =)

I'm a huge Peyton fan, as a matter of fact I drafted him in my FF league and he's having a heck of a year so far. This is a big game for them this week, hope they can pull it off.

Actually Manning is the reason why we root for the Bronco's. it's actually kinda funny my wife is the big football fan, I'm starting to become one. The Manning boys are her favorite players, she says they seem like they would be really nice guys, lol.

The Sammy was gonna be my next choice if this one didn't work out. My buddy actually bought both to decide between the two, he ended up keeping the Sammy because of the free 3d glasses and his wife liked how it looked better than the gt50. I'm glad I was able to see both in a home setting before I bought mine because I did prefer the gy50 over the Sammy but ill have to make that finally decision when I get it on Friday.

without going into pros and cons on either tv (there's plenty of that on AVS) just be careful of IR with the Panasonic, especially during break in. that tv is still very prone to it. just letting you know, so that hopefully you won't have issues. if you haven't gone to AVS already I would recommend avoiding it at least until you make up your own mind on what you think of the set. it's very easy to get influenced and to start looking for problems you might otherwise not have noticed. that's been my problem. I only brought up ir becauseit seems to be avoidable with proper care, and its not covered under warranty.

btw, the newer Samsung 3d glasses work with the gt50. they aren't quite as nice, but they are less than half the cost.

without going into pros and cons on either tv (there's plenty of that on AVS) just be careful of IR with the Panasonic, especially during break in. that tv is still very prone to it. just letting you know, so that hopefully you won't have issues. if you haven't gone to AVS already I would recommend avoiding it at least until you make up your own mind on what you think of the set. it's very easy to get influenced and to start looking for problems you might otherwise not have noticed. that's been my problem. I only brought up ir becauseit seems to be avoidable with proper care, and its not covered under warranty.

btw, the newer Samsung 3d glasses work with the gt50. they aren't quite as nice, but they are less than half the cost.

Yeah I've been on the AVS forums, did a lot of my research on there. I figured being diligent about avoiding static images I should be fine. A quick story about IR, my local BB had the E8000, the E7000, and the GT50 side by side playing a blu-ray of Harry Potter 6 and all three were left on the menu screen and had some pretty noticeable IR. I showed the BB rep and he had all of the TV's do their respective IR cleanse. I left while they were doing their thing, and came back about 15 minutes later and the IR had gone down almost to the point where it wasn't noticeable anymore. He said one more IR cleaning and the set should be fine. So I came in the next day, and unless they swapped out all three TV's they all looked fine. What sold me most on the Panny was the black levels it was putting out and the brightness it delivers. Plus it had an extra hdmi plug on the back, which was another feature I was looking for in a new tv. And luckily I purchased warrenty and BB does cover IR/burn in.

Good looking out though for the 3D glasses, I'll probably do something like that when and if we start getting into 3D movies.

cdub5 how do you like your E7000 so far? How's the brightness on it? And was the IR really bad on the gt50 you got?

I did have some ir on my gt50, but I was more referring to the many stories I read about on AVS. I actually returned it due to s really dull, blurry unsharp pq when watching non 1080p/bluray material, which I watch a lot. many gt owners complained of this, while some didn't notice it. to me the Sammy has a much sharper pq on all content. the blacks are better on the gt50, but I'll take the sharper pq. for me the tv has great brightness, and my tv is in a moderately bright room. the main issue with the Samsung is that many many people complain about the tv buzzing. unfortunately after trying two of them, they both buzzed. I don't notice it most of the time, and learning to live with it when I do. still can be annoying at times. just use my klipsch to drown it out. that being said, I do really like the Samsung. I have the 60" e7000. only bringing this up because the op said he's already been on AVS researching, so he's probably read about all these issues already.

cdub5 how do you like your E7000 so far? How's the brightness on it? And was the IR really bad on the gt50 you got?

I did have some ir on my gt50, but I was more referring to the many stories I read about on AVS. I actually returned it due to s really dull, blurry unsharp pq when watching non 1080p/bluray material, which I watch a lot. many gt owners complained of this, while some didn't notice it. to me the Sammy has a much sharper pq on all content. the blacks are better on the gt50, but I'll take the sharper pq. for me the tv has great brightness, and my tv is in a moderately bright room. the main issue with the Samsung is that many many people complain about the tv buzzing. unfortunately after trying two of them, they both buzzed. I don't notice it most of the time, and learning to live with it when I do. still can be annoying at times. just use my klipsch to drown it out. that being said, I do really like the Samsung. I have the 60" e7000. only bringing this up because the op said he's already been on AVS researching, so he's probably read about all these issues already.

Well glad you ended up with something that you liked! I actually remember reading some of your posts on AVS and saw the pic you took of the gt50 and the e7000 side by side, that actually looked really cool [H] Now, most importantly what Klipsch speakers did you end up with? [:D] For me and my entertainment setup my speakers are the most important aspect of my system, how are you liking them so far?

Iv had nearly every tv by samsung,panasonic,sony since they started bringing out LED technology, from my time and continued use of new tv's i have to say once you have had a plasma (calibrated right) there's no going back. Dark scenes in movies become difficult and distracting with washed out blacks from most LED's, though i do give props to sonys 929 with best quality LED i have ever seen on a LCD. Panasonic 50 series steal my vote with absolute best accuracy and black performance.

Grats on your TV

Iv had nearly every tv by samsung,panasonic,sony since they started bringing out LED technology, from my time and continued use of new tv's i have to say once you have had a plasma (calibrated right) there's no going back. Dark scenes in movies become difficult and distracting with washed out blacks from most LED's, though i do give props to sonys 929 with best quality LED i have ever seen on a LCD. Panasonic 50 series steal my vote with absolute best accuracy and black performance.

Grats on your TV

You grabbing one of those OLEDs when they come out? They definitely are not a part of my immediate future, but this kind of new technology is always very exciting for me and I am always looking forward to hearing some reviews.