Amplifiers and volume control

christ1

I am thinking about getting a seperate amplifier for my three front speakers with the surround speakers connected to the receiver. I am confused how the volume is controlled because some sellers talk about remotes with the amp, but they never seem to have them. Does it basically work the same way as a powered sub connected to the preout on the receiver? Using the receiver volume control changes the volume of all speakers including the sub in unison, so if the front three speakers are sent via the preouts to a separate amplifier then the volume would change in unison the same way, right? Thanks.

• Moderators

My Parasound amp has Level Controls for each channel. Below is from the manual.

Level Controls
Each channel has its own rear mounted "set and forget" input level control. Your amplifier will
sound best with these level controls set to maximum, where they are effectively out of the audio
signal path. However, if your preamplifier has very high gain, and its volume control cannot track
properly for left-right channel balance near its minimum position, it may be necessary to reduce the
input level control settings on the amplifier. When using the HCA-2205A in a THX installation, each
level control must be set at maximum to correspond to 0 dB THX reference level.

post-27215-13819802435562_thumb.jpg

It all depends on which amps you are going to get I have some vitage amps and I turn the gain to the max and let the avr's pre-amp set the correct signal for all the speakers Some vintage amps don't have gain control, so the pre-amp with determine the signal to be sent to the speaker. All speaker volume are controled via the avr. I hope that helps. Either way you should not need separate remotes for everything

Yes that answers my question.

I was confused on how does the amp "know" how much amplying to do. I guess what I was missing is that the preamp part of the receiver modulates the signal to the amplifier, which does not matter whether it is an internal amplifier (receiver) or a separate amplifer. Each channel is modulated in the same way so that the speakers stay in balance (assuming they were calibrated when first set up). If the amp has a gain control then that is a way to change the amplification manually but is meant to be used only when calibrating.

Thanks.

I would really consider this:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/3317854941.html

Audiophile ACURUS A200X5 Power Amplifier - $700 (BURKE)

Date: 2012-10-05, 9:38AM EDT
Reply to this post Reply to: vvvqr-3317854941@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Absolutely mint condition, including original box and manual. Upgraded my system with another 7 channel amp. Now I can not afford to have two amplifier. I am the original owner. Any question call me at (703) 830-0981

5N85O05H43ne3K43Ncca59663951cc35914e2.jp
I currently have one and just sold one to a guy in Virginia. I own three Acurus amps and have owned a total of seven over the last few years. Never an issue with any of them. Forum brother Ajoker2c has one also and is very pleased.
Acurus amps are built rock solid in the USA.
Bill

I would really consider this:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/3317854941.html

Audiophile ACURUS A200X5 Power Amplifier - $700 (BURKE)

Date: 2012-10-05, 9:38AM EDT

Reply to this post Reply to: vvvqr-3317854941@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Absolutely mint condition, including original box and manual. Upgraded my system with another 7 channel amp. Now I can not afford to have two amplifier. I am the original owner. Any question call me at (703) 830-0981

5N85O05H43ne3K43Ncca59663951cc35914e2.jp
I currently have one and just sold one to a guy in Virginia. I own three Acurus amps and have owned a total of seven over the last few years. Never an issue with any of them. Forum brother Ajoker2c has one also and is very pleased.
Acurus amps are built rock solid in the USA.
Bill
Fantastic amp for your needs. I found one local after talking with Williand and am solo thankful I did take his advice. It's a beast and the soundstage is great on it with more then plenty of headroom