KPT-8001 or KPT-1201 as rear surrounds?

psg

Hi bobdog,

Your setup probably sent me in this KPT direction in the first place.

Good point about the frequency response, unless that if considered compensated for X-Curve? I need to ask Klipsch here. Can anyone PM me Roy's email?

I see the comment above about American Cinema Equipment. I can vouch for their fast, efficient service on anything "Pro". I think most of us have found that a lot of Klipsch dealers seem to be barely interested in selling the Heritage line these days, much less dealing with getting Cinema or "business line" speakers.

• Moderators

I think most of us have found that a lot of Klipsch dealers seem to be barely interested in selling the Heritage line these days, much less dealing with getting Cinema or "business line" speakers.

Yeah, over the years most dealers have moved away from those lines and have moved towards the reference, icon etc lines. I'm guessing this is either due to profit margin or maybe just the demand for the "older" speakers are not as high which again points back to a financial situation.

I've spoken quite a bit with W.C. at Panacea Engineering and I know his heart is to help preserve the Heritage and Cinema line. He's a great guy who has a huge passion for Klipsch. Give him a call to see if he can help out.

You should be fine with the 8001 models unless your room is very large. I have a 7.1 setup and as a general rule not many movies send information to those speakers. However, we always want the biggest and baddest, so the 1201s are a consideration. I have the 1201s for my rears and am very happy with them.

post-10337-13819802910624_thumb.jpg

Thanks Rudy,

The cut-sheet says that the input connectors are five-way binding posts. What are those?

As far as I can tell, they're traditional posts. They'll accept bare wire, bananas, eyelets, etc.

EDIT, looked it up:

Banana plugs, inserted into the open end of the binding postPin connectors, inserted into a hole drilled through the metal post and clamped by the screw-down portion of the binding post.Bare wire inserted through the same hole and clamped, orWrapped around the metal post and clamped.A lug terminal inserted around the metal post and clamped

Ah! So posts that work 5 ways! Got it!

Thanks Rudy,

The cut-sheet says that the input connectors are five-way binding posts. What are those?

As far as I can tell, they're traditional posts. They'll accept bare wire, bananas, eyelets, etc.

EDIT, looked it up:

Banana plugs, inserted into the open end of the binding postPin connectors, inserted into a hole drilled through the metal post and clamped by the screw-down portion of the binding post.Bare wire inserted through the same hole and clamped, orWrapped around the metal post and clamped.A lug terminal inserted around the metal post and clamped

Having seconds thoughts about the positioning...

I was sitting in the HT couch, looking at the back wall, and figured that the right rear surround (left when looking backwards) would be way too close to the center. So i think that speaker should go on the other side of the door. Since it will be close to the side wall, maybe angle it out a bit? On the plus side, I eliminate the entire speaker that is in the way (and maybe even move the projector back closer to the rear wall). Maybe I could even stay with plain old Heresy in that case! (?)

Am I better off saying with truly centered 6.1 intsead of this 7.1?

post-15702-1381980295074_thumb.jpg

Peter,

If you now have Heresy's as surrounds, what would the additional two REAR surrounds offer, that you are not getting now. If I understand correctly, you are using the single Heresy as a rear (something) and I am sorry for not completely understanding its purpose. If it is a rear Center, that is fine....I just do not know what an additional rear set would offer in a room of that size.....

Hey WC,

The idea is to replace the single Heresy II with two (perhaps slimmer and lower profile) speakers to move to 7.1 configuration from 6.1, and to get that large center rear Heresy II out of the way. I'm not sure what you mean by room of that size; it's 18 feet deep, 20 feet wide at the fron, and probably 16 to 17 feet wide at the back wall.

bobdog, thanks for the pic!