Various La Scala questions:

Boomzilla

I've ordered some "Type A" crossovers from Mr. Bob Crites for my La Scalas. Since ALL of my speaker wires are terminated with banana plugs, what's the best way to add banana jacks to the La Scala?

My La Scala cabinets are beaten up. I'm contemplating either using wood putty to fill the gaps and then just painting the cabs, or wrapping the whole darn things in wood-look contact paper. Any suggestions on refinish?

Audio Advisor, Amazon, and others sell an inexpensive 16wpc Chinese hybrid amp called the Qinpu A-6000. The amp uses a pair of tubes for the preamp stage and a pair of solid-state chip amps for the main outputs. I have vintage La Scalas and am curious to know if anyone else has tried the Qinpu with the La Scalas? My system is a bit odd since I'm running a subwoofer with the La Scalas, but that shouldn't affect the sound of the Qinpu.

Thanks Y'all - Boomzilla

OK...first off...banana plugs issue: The crossover networks have screw connections on them, but maybe Bob can build onto them a banana plug for you, just ask him...he is pretty amenable about things like that. If that can't happen or is too late to happen, then just get a banana plug unit on an "L" bracket and put it into the top housing rear, and connect it to the crossover outputs...pretty simple fix...after a trip to Radio Shack. BUT, keep in mind, that by doing this you have slightly increased the resistance in your circuit by adding another connection into the circuit carrying the amplified signal to the drivers. More connections equals more distortion, even if you DON'T necessarily hear it!

As for your beaten up cabs issue...if you need a fix NOW, then what the fix is, and how much it will cost is entirely up to you and your budget. If, on the other hand, you can wait a few months to a year or so...then I may be able to help solve your problem...but not at this particular point in time. And my help may be out of your budget arena.

As for the "Inexpensive" Chinese-made tubed pre-amp/chipped amp 16 WPC deal...just "how much" is "inexpensive"?? You may find that 25 twin-powered WPC from a "Back-in-the-day" receiver pushing your scalawags...at even more of an "inexpensive" cost...better fills your needs...once you have heard it...just ask around or do a search for "HK 430" on the forum, if you are wondering what I mean. I am sure there are some forum members near enough to you who have one, since it seems the market has been cornered by the forum members on these little HK units for about a decade now...LOL!

My La Scala cabinets are beaten up. I'm contemplating either using wood putty to fill the gaps and then just painting the cabs, or wrapping the whole darn things in wood-look contact paper. Any suggestions on refinish?

When you fill cabinets....plan out what type of finish they are and what you will use....silicon based products (filler) does not work well with lacquer paint, filler in general does not look good if you plan to stain and not paint. Between the effort, tools, supplies, health risks, etc.....if you have the chance of buying replacement cabs...I would go for that....or of course...if you can build them yourself.

post-22082-13819823046964_thumb.png

You may find that 25 twin-powered WPC from a "Back-in-the-day" receiver pushing your scalawags...at even more of an "inexpensive" cost...better fills your needs...once you have heard it...just ask around or do a search for "HK 430" on the forum, if you are wondering what I mean.

Andy, you are surely going to run the price up on these again... [;)]

but depending on the budget, this is excellent advice.

Bruce

Id love to know your budget for amps.

You can have a true SE tube amp built for you for less than $500. For 600 you can build a Dyanco Clone ST35 (17watts) that is a realy audio gem

See Dynakitparts.com. if you want origonal or search Triode electronics if you want to build 1 based on DIYtubes ST35. Same iron, 2 different approaches.

I have ordered alot from both vendors. Dynakit parts is amazing in his level of documentation. If you can soder get his kit...

I can solder. My shortage isn't ability or cash - it's time. I'm busy enough that I'd prefer to spend my free time, what little there is of it, listening rather than soldering.

My problem seems to be solved, though. A local guitar shop says they can fix my VTL compact 100 monoblocks. If so, I already know that they match the La Scalas perfectly. That leads me to the only other issue:

I need a preamp. Since the VTLs work just fine with a solid state front end, I'm looking for solid state preamps that have built-in analog bass management. I know Emotiva makes two. Anyone else?

Thanks! - Boomzilla