Sandy Destined to Destroy the East Coast

John Warren

THIS is the one I have (I didn't buy it there though). It comes with a transfer switch but my electrician had to supply a disconnect which was extra.

This is mine: http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/Common/pdf/specsheets/a-1555.pdf. The transfer switch and disconnects were part of the package from the vendor (Kolb Electric). This is a very commercial-oid installation, with the large, 450-lb. unit itself, a big slab of a transfer switch hung off the house exterior next to the electrical service entrance *see below), and gas piping and rubber hose (to reduce vibration) to run the required 5' from the house. I could use a nice isolated corner of my yard (which not everyone has) on the other side from the driveway.

98b2e7e6-da8f-4435-9a84-c555beb21970_300

Of course, I did the smidgen of needed coordination between the two contractors, rather than use an expensive local turnkey firm.

I have gas heat, gas stove/oven and a gas water heater. My dryer is electric but I've never tried to run it on the generator. Typically you monitor what you run while on the generators power and try to keep things to a minimum. I could live without a dryer for a few days. AC startup loads my generator also. If you're on generator power for extended periods, run your home temperature as low as you can get it and shut the ac off. Manually cycle your ac on when the temp gets uncomfortable. That eliminates excessive start ups.

THIS is the one I have (I didn't buy it there though). It comes with a transfer switch but my electrician had to supply a disconnect which was extra.

This is mine: http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/Common/pdf/specsheets/a-1555.pdf. The transfer switch and disconnects were part of the package from the vendor (Kolb Electric).

Yours is air cooled also with a v-twin of virtually the same displacement as mine. The rubber supply hose came with the generator in my case. I thought it odd that I had to run 1 1/4" pipe to the generator and then bush it down to 1/2" (3/4", I can't remember) to accept he hose connection. I was lucky however as I had already swapped out my gas meter for a larger one and ran 2" pipe back to where I installed a 400,000 BTU heater for my spa/pool. I had left a tap there just in case. I have a slab that's large enough for my generator, pool heater, pool pump, polaris pump and sand filter for them to sit on and keep them off the ground.

Thanks guys. I have no central air so much less load. I do have a electric dryer but I won't run it when I am on generator. I believe I was seeing at home depot the 4000 dollar one. Well I wonder with the natural gas piping now that I think I probably have to get larger size. As for placement I live on a hill so I have no pooling of water. Hell my sump well is bone dry even with the hurricane and no power.

Yours is air cooled also with a v-twin of virtually the same displacement as mine. The rubber supply hose came with the generator in my case. I thought it odd that I had to run 1 1/4" pipe to the generator and then bush it down to 1/2" (3/4", I can't remember) to accept he hose connection. I was lucky however as I had already swapped out my gas meter for a larger one and ran 2" pipe back to where I installed a 400,000 BTU heater for my spa/pool.

Yes, I wonder if air-cooled is why mine is noisier than I thought it'd be. A 12" or 14" rubber hose came with mine, but I got an optional 24" hose instead for better vibration decoupling. The gas meter and pipe sizing was decided and arranged for by the gas contractor, as there are several ins and outs in deciding how long and how big the pipes should be, how many corners a pipe has to turn (each turn raises pipe diameter and gas pressure needs). I couldn't begin to do or decide any of that myself, although my situation is less complicated than yours. I'm impressed with how much you did yourself.

The generator gas entry probably has a fixed diameter. Gas transmission volume seems to depend on a combination of pipe diameter and length, so many feet of 1.25" pipe ending in a 1/2" hose may be par for the course.

This is a pic (probably to slightly different scales) of the generator, transfer switch, and the inside control box.

98b2e7e6-da8f-4435-9a84-c555beb21970_300

Yes, I wonder if air-cooled is why mine is noisier than I thought it'd be.

Yours is actually rated 4 dB quieter than mine and I really don't find mine objectionable. The water cooled ones are quieter still.

EDIT, maybe I think it's quiet because my previous generator had a 10 hp Tecumseh motor powering it[:P]

Yours is actually rated 4 dB quieter than mine and I really don't find mine objectionable.

A 3 dB difference is barely audible, and 4 probably is, too.

My generator has a lot of noise and vibration. Vibration is part of the noise spectrum, and they just moosh (sp?) together indistinguishably for me. The heavy vibration equals a strong low-pitched noise, that was propagated right through the hard clay soil into the foundation and into the structure of the entire house. I don't think Cummin's noise/vibration control is what it's cracked up to be.

One factor that almost no one but I have is an inner-ear hyperacusis. The generator could stir this up by running as little as 15 min.! No one else could hear this, and yet it just about drove me out of the house. I asked the vendor for a solution, and even called Cummins -- but no one could offer help.

The gas contractor, Ralph Smith of John G Edwards, knew the answer immediately -- a cork-and-corrugated rubber vibration-absorbing sandwich under each corner of the generator. See http://www.embelton.com/divisions/cork-rubber/

Air Compressor Cork/Rubber Vibrations Pad (1 Qty)

How did he know? His wife has Meniere's hyperacusis, like me! It's a tough disease to live with.

The devistation reminds me of pics of local hurricanes. The political aspect of this makes me sick. The fact that there is a political aspect to this makes me sick.

Didn't Rahm Emanuel say the following several years ago.... "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

This concept makes many of us sick...

Odd that this concept hasn't been played out with the Benghazi tragedy.

• Sad 1

"You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

Depends on one's POV, but I don't think we're seeing a no-crisis-going-to-waste activity with the hurricane. Where do you see that?

I think you're looking at the wrong party re Benghazi. Just MHPOV, I guess.

With the hurricane and all, evangelicals could be forgiven for wondering just whose side is God on, anyway?

• Thanks 1

"You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

Depends on one's POV, but I don't think we're seeing a no-crisis-going-to-waste activity with the hurricane. Where do you see that?

I think you're looking at the wrong party re Benghazi. Just MHPOV, I guess.

With the hurricane and all, evangelicals could be forgiven for wondering just whose side is God on, anyway?

You are right regarding one's POV.

I believe that I see examples of this being exhibited by the two main actors in the "big" race. Nothing degrading, however their most recent actions "could" be seen as self-promoting.

I believe that I see examples of this being exhibited by the two main actors in the "big" race. Nothing degrading, however their most recent actions "could" be seen as self-promoting.

Absolutely agree.

In my humble opinion: Obama has a lot of ground to make up in very weak upper management ability and being a poor convenor and reconciliationmeister of different views and interests, and his actions were aimed at narrowing that gap IMO. Republican leaders have a lot of ground to make up in trying to muscle and bully their way back into total power (pres, house and senate) with attack politics and wedge issue polarization, and having a principal aim of denying the pres a second term at ANY cost, including voter suppression fraud and denial of women's basic rights.

The aforementioned gap won't be closed by this election, unless some of the guilty parties are soundly spanked by the voters. There are so many unknown variables in this election that it seems like it could go either way.

Things at stake include Supreme Court governance for generations to come, and the likelihood that the country will have an economic boom by 2016, which will favor the party in power at that time, which could possibly favor it in many elections to come.

• Confused 1

I believe that I see examples of this being
exhibited by the two main actors in the "big" race. Nothing degrading,
however their most recent actions "could" be seen as self-promoting.

I don't see how individuals can honestly perceive
the President's actions in the wake of the storm as some sort of calculated
self-aggrandizement. It becomes more clear in the case of the
challenger, whose response was to orchestrate a largely staged event
replete with political propaganda.
  • Like 1