How to recone a K-33 woofer

mustang guy

• 11 months later...

I bumped this up for a friend who is going to (thinking of) reconing a speaker. It really isn't that hard to do, and even though this was for K-33's, I think it would apply with about any standard speaker. For me the biggest things I learned were proper alignment, order of teardown rebuild, and glues used.

• 4 months later...

Thank you, you are very kind!

I have had no formal education as a trainer. I was just a guy who was hell-bent on learning how to re-cone and searched everywhere for instructions. From all the information I gathered here from Bob Crites, from youtube, and from elsewhere on the web, I put together what I felt was the best overall method for reconing with this type of kit. I decided at the beginning I would share this information with my friends here on the forum. I didn't want to leave gaps in the instructions, so I asked myself if there were things missing. I filled in the missing material, and published it.

A video would have been better, but my son is at college, and he's the one with the GoPro. If a picture is worth a thousand words a video is priceless.

Mustang Guy... I just now went through this thread. First, kudos for doing it.

Second.... C'mon man, take the watch off while you're working on this stuff!!!

You're just asking to bang it up on something. (ask me how I know)

• 10 months later...

Mustang Guy, This is a great thread, nice work.  I have ordered recone kits from Klipsch for two 1976 vintage square magnet K33's.  After reading the thread twice I have a question.  When did you remove the business cards from the voice coil?  I can see them removed in your photos but not sure when to remove and how.  My concern is having some of the epoxy glue get on the cards and not being able to get them out of the former. I'm not as steady with my fingers and hands as I once was.   

Edited by toolz

Very nice tutorial. I've done some smaller home speakers and a few re-foam jobbies, but the 4-part woofers are a lot tougher to do than drop-in's (Peavey all in one basket) or 1-piece.   I have two JBL 2245, EVM15L, K49 and 4x K47 that need reconed. Probably start with the el-cheapo Pyle 15 I got out of an old LSI for practice before the spendy ones! 

Mustang Guy, This is a great thread, nice work.  I have ordered recone kits from Klipsch for two 1976 vintage square magnet K33's.  After reading the thread twice I have a question.  When did you remove the business cards from the voice coil?  I can see them removed in your photos but not sure when to remove and how.  My concern is having some of the epoxy glue get on the cards and not being able to get them out of the former. I'm not as steady with my fingers and hands as I once was.   

That's awesome. I did not know Klipsch still had kits available. 

The voice-coil cardboard will be protruding through the spider sufficiently enough (about 1/4") to not get epoxy on it.  A dry fit before this step is a good idea! If you are worried about being shaky, you could have somebody with steadier hands do this step. This is a crucial step, and I would advise NOT removing the cards yet, as they keep everything perfectly aligned.

Once you put the bead of epoxy around the spider/core you shimmy the cone down onto it as directed. You are gluing the voice-coil, the spider, and the cone with the same application of epoxy. I'd wait about 15 minutes before removing the cards. 

After that, you can run a thin bead of epoxy above the cone to attach it a bit better to the voice-coil core. I kinda figure this is the part you were worried about gluing the cards to the cone.

I hope this clears things up for you.

Yes, it does.  BTW the Klipsch sales rep had to check to see if there were and more recone kits available, so it is possible they will be not be available after the current stock is depleted.  I had two kits shipped out. 

Edited by toolz

Very nice tutorial. I've done some smaller home speakers and a few re-foam jobbies, but the 4-part woofers are a lot tougher to do than drop-in's (Peavey all in one basket) or 1-piece.   I have two JBL 2245, EVM15L, K49 and 4x K47 that need reconed. Probably start with the el-cheapo Pyle 15 I got out of an old LSI for practice before the spendy ones! 

I tried to make a drop in out of a K33 kit, and I ended up throwing it away. As it turns out, the speaker frame and former are the perfect jig. If I were gonna make drop in kits, I would probably just skip the step where you glue the spider to the frame. Basically you glue the VC to the spider to the cone and when it's dry lift it out. 

This is related to what the previous poster was talking about. This step is the most important step in the recone. I think that's why they make drop in kits. 

I will take a look at that when I get the kits and fully understand how all of the pieces fit together before I attempt to use the glue.  Using the frame and former as a jig makes sense.   

It does make sense if you are assembling multi part kits and reselling them, but not for you.  Remember, you will eventually be gluing the surround to the frame, and that is yet another alignment that can go wrong. If the voice-coil rubs when you are done, you failed and need to throw it all out and start over. I know this from experience.  :)

MikeRam,

The Klipsch part number sent to me was 151162.  However I have a pair of the older high basket K33 and this kit may not fit. I am working with CS to make that determination. The paper cone in this kit is very thin and light with no butyl on folds of the surround. 

Edited by toolz

MikeRam,

The Klipsch part number sent to me was 151162.  However I have a pair of the older high basket K33 and this kit may not fit. I am working with CS to make that determination. The paper cone in this kit is very thin and light with no butyl on folds of the surround. 

Hmmm. Have any pictures?