Expanding 5.2 system

TasDom

Hey folks,

I'm contemplating adding front wide and front heights to take advantage of the Audyssey DSX feature. Hoping that anyone with this may chime in with their opinions.

Obviously I would have to add an additional amp and speakers. I would get another XPA-5 but unsure which speakers would be the best match to blend with my current set up if I go this route.

Maybe I would be better off to just go 7.2?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions........

Go big and get two more rf-7ii's! That would be cool. I honestly am fine with my 7.2 and if I were your best friend I would maybe advise against those extra channels and amp and maybe push you towards some killer dual subs. Pb-12 plusX2 would certainly envelop you more into the movie. Just a thought...

These RB-61II's would be perfect for heights or wides.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/168304.aspx

Lots for sale (Lowered Prices)

Updated/lowered prices to include
shipping in CONUS. Feel free to make offers. I will discount prices if
buying multiple items. For pickup, my zip code is 16803.

Klipsch RB-61 II - $300 (Free stands if picking up)

Bill

I honestly am fine with my 7.2 and if I were your best friend I would maybe advise against those extra channels and amp and maybe push you towards some killer dual subs.

I would definitely agree with this. Though $600.00 for twin RW-12d's is a killer deal, and really hard to pass up if you are subless, a better quality sub will do wonders for your system.

Bill

I have a 9.2 system for a fairly large space with front height speakers. They are great for listening to certain types of music and TV. I have tried Klipsch bookshelf speakers and the WDST speakers and not much of a difference in performance for me. I use RS 35's because they fit my family room better. My avr is a 7.1 so the front height or surround back speakers are used with different movie sources and the avr switches automatically to the correct format. I like the 9 speaker setup. I use a 200/400 watt Yamaha M 70 for the front height speakers. I had VS 14 as front height speakers in the past with my Icon V system. The preamp sets the signal so no problems with blowing speakers. Dolby Atmos is coming out with ceiling speakers for more natural effects such as rain and things from the sky I like the height speakers with music that I want to hear the midrange and vocal as a major emphasis. They are also great for a little more laid back listening compared to the sound from the RF 7's. The killer dual subs is great if your system is mostly for movies. I use mine for music mostly.

I honestly am fine with my 7.2 and if I were your best friend I would maybe advise against those extra channels and amp and maybe push you towards some killer dual subs.

I would definitely agree with this. Though $600.00 for twin RW-12d's is a killer deal, and really hard to pass up if you are subless, a better quality sub will do wonders for your system.

Bill

I know these subs leave a lot to be desired but since the addition of xt32 they are really sounding quite good. (I actually got 2 new for 300.00 total) My biggest challenge is the half wall directly behind the sofa. If I could just add a couple of rb's far enough back I would call it a day with 7.2

Maybe a couple of side surrounds would work but was just curios as to what benefits front wides / front heights would add to the movie experience...

For movies the height and wide speakers are like other surround. It all depends on the movies. Height channels help with spatial imaging if they are 3-4 above the main speakers. They also help with overhead effects such as footsteps upstairs and booms from the air. More BD have 7.1 content over the last couple of years. Wide carry similar information. Schu, for 2 channel I use stereo mode. If the speakers are set to Large, the two mains play. If they are set to Small then it is 2.2 stereo. I use the DDPLIIz for most of my TV watching and most of the effect are located to the front stage. Height channels are usually recommend over wides. Remember that 97% of a movie is in the main 2 channel also. This allows people without surround channels to enjoy the movie. The surround channel stuff is extra and a movie can be enjoyed without them. A lot of what we add to our systems is just extra! The key point is, if you don't have, you most likely won't miss it. Television is limited to 5.1 so any 7 channel effects are matrixed.

Movies with front height effect:

Highly Recommended for Front Height Effects:
Matrix Revolutions
Blade Runner!!!
Top Gun DTS WOW!
2012 Audio Euphoria
Twilight Saga: New Moon
Ninja Assassin
U-571 and even better to test ur Subwoofer
the animated film 9 Lots of great sound!
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Last Castle
Rambo (2008)
Twister
Wall-E
Star Trek
Point Break
Death Race
Terminator: Salvation
IMAX Fighter Pilot
IMAX Super Speedway
The Notebook (the rain scene on the lake)