Black Hawk Down

the goods

I bought this DVD yesterday and it is awesome! The surround effects are amazing. I wish it had a dts version to go along with the dolby digital version but the dolby digital sounds great. I would definitely have to say it's the best sounding dolby digital disc I own. This is a must have for your show off collection.

------------------

the goods

I watched it in a SDDS movie theater some time back, it had great sound effects. Smile.gif

BTW, do you have "Saving Private Ryan" on DVD? It has some really nice sound effects. Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Panasonic TX-36P500X (36" Direct View 16:9)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

By the way, what is your home theater setup? Which speakers, A/V receiver, etc. do you have? Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Panasonic TX-36P500X (36" Direct View 16:9)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

KAin, I do own the Saving Private Ryan dts version. You will find no argument fom me that it is reference material. But as far as dolby digital discs, Black Hawk Down is as good as it gets.I can't even begin to imagine how good it would sound if it was in dts. Go get it! You won't be disappointed. As far as my system, it's not audiophile but it sounds good for my needs:

Marantz SR7200 A/V Receiver

Sony DVPC660 5 disc changer(for dvd's only since it won't support cdr playback)

Marantz CC4000 OSE 5 disc cd changer(great piece of gear)

Fronts: SB2 bookshelf

Center: SC1

Rears: SS1

Sub: Def Tech ProSub 100TL 10" sub(Awesome sub)

------------------

the goods

boa12, I would have to say that I think as far as sound goes it tops the Matrix. Movies with lots of gunshot effects are always favorites of mine and they are non-stop in this one. Don't get me wrong, the Matrix has a great soundtrack as well but I still feel Black Hawk Down is the best Dolby disc I own at this point. High praise I know but it is deserving. Check it out and you'll see what I mean

------------------

the goods

boa12, If it comes out in dts, I'll just buy that version too. If I were you I would go ahead and buy it now though. It sounds that good. If it comes out in dts I would think it would be several months down the line. Just my 2 cents

------------------

the goods

Wow, it's out already? Geeze seems as though it just came out... I was thinking about trying to find a theater it was playing in.cwm12.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

I purchased this movie (Black Hawk Down) yesterday. The war scenes are amazing but the sound track is NOT that good. If you are looking for a movie to show off your killer sub, this is NOT the movie. There are more than 2 hours of non-stop action,gun fire and explosions but my dual RSW-15 felt sleepy and hungry. It just doesn't have the sub intesity of the The Matrix or Saving Private Ryan. But the movie itself is nice. IMO.

This message has been edited by peterm on 06-18-2002 at 09:38 AM

peterm, I couldn't agree with you more. I realize this film has won an award for it's sound track but this disk did not hit a home run with me as far as the punch it should have.We are in the minority when it comes to our opinion concerning the sound on Black Hawk Down. I just can't bring myself to agree with some of the reviewers ,that I have the highest respect for ,who have applauded this movie's sound. Yes it is loud but not as dynamic as I thought it should of been.

When I mention the subject to some people who's interests in home theater are the same as mine they look at me like I'm from outer space. CLULESS ! I KNOW YOU'RE READING THIS. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! Anyway perhaps the DTS version will be better. If so why didn't they get it right the first time. The information is there . Why not have a better mix on the DD 5.1 version.Of course it is difficult to compare any film to a Saving Private Ryan DTS sound track but give us a break.

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

rented it on sat & have to agree, the strong, lower bass (LFE) could have been done much better. i forget where but somewhere toward the end there was a bit of real strong, low bass & I thunk hey where was this the rest of the movie. copters are always good for the surround though.

yea hopefully they come out w/ it in dts & w/ a newer, better mix (more LFE).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-18-2002 at 11:06 AM

I find most people are so easily impressed with war flicks for home theater. Jeez could there possibly be an EASIER genre to impress. Oooh...gunfire and bombs...oooh it's loud, it must be a good movie to show off my subwoofer. It's just too easy. Monotonous gunfire/bombing may be loud and have good LFE(most of the time) but is that something you really wanna endure for 2 hours? I found myself constantly turning the volume up and down on these kinda flicks because the gunfire is, well it's gunfire and the dialogue is completely drowned out. It's very hard to find a compromise volume-wise. Apocalypse Now stands out though for having inventive sound in a war movie.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

This message has been edited by synthfreek on 07-28-2002 at 01:10 PM

I think better LFE mix provide realism. You feel as if you're part of the movie. That has always been the goal for these latest technologies. Showing off your subwoofer is another story. If you don't like your couch to shake, there is always a volume knob on your sub. Monotonous or not is a matter of preference.

Normally I wouldn't harp on the plus or minuses of a particular movie but this one won the Academy Award for sound.Everyone is commenting on the bass and LFE.

I can accept a movie that has a weaker mix in that area. It's more than that. The surrounds aren't very active either.The movie sometimes sounds like I have the receiver in All Stereo mode. I have movies that were relesed 6 years ago that have better dynamics and separation. Don't get me wrong I liked this film and I don't compare DVDs sound tracks to each other based on how well the gunfire ,bombs and helicopters sound.If anything the fronts and dialogue are more pronounced with this DVD than most.The story is history the movie is entertainment.Just my opinion. I own the DVD and will watch it many more times. cwm12.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

i confess i'm an LFE junky for where its applicable. thought they did an excellent job on the dialogue considering all the background noise. & got none of that scratchy, crackling voice distortion here as with quite a few others, especially w/ dolby.

obviously they don't give oscars out just for LFE. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page