Tube amp advice

XxCowboyxX

Hey guys I have some down time in between moves and I am considering giving tube amps a shot. I'll be powering forte ii's. I have heard that a SS amp with a tube pre amp "sounds" the same as a tube system. I was going to run a crown amp to them with gobs a power. I see where people put new tubes in their amps. With some tubes so expensive how often do y'all replace them? The integrated tube amps have a huge appeal to me because I like the idea of having it all in one box. I'd definitely need a suggestion on a good model if I go integrated tube amp since it seems a lot of them are made in china(doesn't bother me) but I don't know anything about the brands. Heck I guess other than mcintosh(usually out of my price league) I don't know much of any brands in the tube world. I'm open to suggestions.

I have heard that a SS amp with a tube pre amp "sounds" the same as a tube system.

This is not quite correct. While a tubed pre can certainly add something or other to the presentation, it won't mimic how a tube amp interacts with your speakers (which is arguably more responsible for the "tube sound").

I'm a cheapskate when it comes to tubes. I like the tube thing, but I refuse to spend ridiculous amounts of money. I would suggest a refurbed Dynaco ST-70 or Scott 299. They are typically a few hundred used, and a thorough going through will be another few hundred. Forum member Craig NOSvalves performs this sort of service, and these amps in top form fetch $600-$900 or so. They work fantastically well with forte II, and don't churn through tubes. If class A flea power is your thing there are affordable options like Decware (US made, lifetime warranty).

Ditto Ski Bum...

ST70 is probably the finest overal price/performance amp of all time, both when new and now as well. They don't get a lot of respect...probably as much as because they don't cost a fortune as any other reason...but to my ears more dollars just buys bragging rights. I've owned my ST70 for around 40 years through many other fine amps and still have it while the others have gone. I use Frank Van Alstines Super PAS4i preamp, which is based on the Dynaco PAS4 and features an excellent phono stage.

Of course, the Scotts, Eicos, etc also are outstanding in the integrated realm...but I still like separates for the same reason as the old days. If one goes down, you still have the other half whilst you replace or get it fixed.

Dave

Thanks for the reply guys, it never ceases to amaze me how nice everyone has always been on this forum. I wish I had people in my area to listen to systems and such with. Heck I have been to the Hope factory many times and only live 30 minutes from it. What do yall think about that Dynaco he posted. Heck if yall think it looks good I don't mind taking a risk on buying it and possibly getting a damn good piece of gear I will keep for a long time.

The characteristics of the amp you choose will depend on many factors including the size of your room, how far from the speakers you listen, the type of music you listen to, how loudly you listen, the presence or absence of reflective or absorptive surfaces (book cases, carpets, curtains, etc.), and so on. It's very difficult to make a blanket amp recommendation because the sound you are seeking is likely to be different from what someone else prefers. The Dynaco is a good amp, but not phenomenal. And, the unfortunate side of going with vintage equipment is that once you buy it it's yours whether you like it or not. If you decide to purchase a new amp, try to do so from a dealer who offers a money back guarantee. There are different types of tube operating parameters which can deliver very different sound qualities and output power (i.e. single ended triode, single ended pentode, push-pull triode, push-pull pentode, ultralinear, and others!) Tube longevity can vary very significantly depending on how the circuits are arranged (some output tubes need replacement after 2 or 3 thousand hours, and others can last 10 thousand hours or more), and the cost of replacement can be minimal or very high depending on the tubes used. So, that may be a consideration as well. Perhaps you can locate some forum members within a reasonable drive who can bring over their favorite tube amp for you to audition. That will help you narrow down the choices a bit.

The integrated tube amps have a huge appeal

I found a TAD-60 on Craigs list for under 500 well worth looking for.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?ramps&1129061242&read&3&4

Now if you come up with a tube pre consider a used pair of "tube Like" TAD Hibachi mono blocks for
$5-700 you
might give them a shot. Used with a tube pre amp I'ts tube amp on the
cheep. I have a center channel so I run three with ether a TAD-150 or
McIntosh C2300 pre amp. Love them!

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ramps&1295202119&openflup&13&4

If your ever through Chicago and have the time to stop by PM me.

Btw, with those speakers you listed, you really don't need gobs of power. On integrated amps I like that its all in one. You could also try checking out H.H. Scott amps - (beautifully made with high quality iron in the transformers) of which I have a 299C and just received from Craig a 299D which is a big secret for my son, along with a pair of Cornwalls. 30 amps a channel and it's way more than enough for me.

Hope this helps.