was I screwed on ebay?

montigue

I have a question, I recently bought a KLF 10 from a guy on ebay that had 6 positive transaction's. He described the speaker as having two scratches on the outer paneling and that the speaker had never been used.

Well I got the speaker yesterday and noticed the box looked like it went to hell and back. After openeing it I noticed a couple of severe cracks. One next to the driver and the other on the back. The baffle even has some damage from an impact that caused one of the cracks. There is also chipping around the edges. The grill has two holes in it as well.

I paid $230 with shipping included. The speaker sounds great but I was wondering did I pay too much?

------------------

Klipsch 5.2 mains

Klipsch 4.2 rears

Klipsch KLF C-7 center

Mitsubishi 55" HD widescreen tv

Toshiba pro scan DVD audio player

Sony Hi-Fi VCR player

Harman Kardon AVR 65 receiver

SVS 20/39 subwoofer w/Samsom S1000 amp

Feedback reflecting six positive transactions is not that significant. I doubt the seller insured the shipment, unless their ad stated so, or you paid specifically for insurance.

If not insured, get an estimate of repair costs, inform the seller of damages and ask that amount be refunded.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Sounds like UPS might have done some damage to it. I recenty got a pair of 20's from ebay and one of them had a big chunk taken out of the corner. Pieces were still in the box so it was obvious that it happened during shipping.

Next time you might want to ask for a few pics before you buy....Mike

Well the guy is sticking to his story saying that when they left his possesion they only had two scratches. I know that shipping from Utah to California there is no way the speakers could have acumilated that much damage. This will be put on UPS I guess.

Just makes me angry because if the seller would have stated all of the damage in his description he probably would have got about half of what I paid. I seen a few other action's on ebay that had signifigant damage simular to this one, going for about $100.

------------------

Klipsch 5.2 mains

Klipsch 4.2 rears

Klipsch KLF C-7 center

Sony Hi-Fi VCR player

SVS 20/39 subwoofer w/Samsom S1000 amp

A rating of 6 certainly is not much of a track record for an eBay seller. But IMHO most sellers of good audio equipment on eBay are honest. And you can almost smell the ones who are not. My guess, based on the few facts presented by you and my experience, is that the speakers were indeed in the condition advertised when they left the seller. Of course, as always, buyer beware.

You are deluding yourself if you "know" that your speakers could not have sustained the damage you described in shipping. I guarantee you that speakers can get totally trashed on a trip from California to Utah. UPS is notorious for rough handling of, and damage to, packages. And the MDF that speakers are made from nowadays will not take much of a bump without failing. Speakers have to be packaged very well and should be insured for full value.

You can file a claim with UPS. If you did not pay for additional insurance, their limit is $100. They may deny even this if they feel the speakers were not adequately packaged.

My feeling is that the seller is to blame for the damage because he did not package the speakers properly. Most people simply do not know how to package speakers properly for shipping. Collecting from the seller could be problematic, though.

Montigue- If you indeed bought these on ebaY and you get a determination from the Useless Package Service that the packaging was good and hence won't pay out for damages, you can file a fraud report with ebaY against the seller for selling you speakers in a condition other than what was described in the auction. EbaY insures members through Lloyd's of London for $200 per transaction, less a $25 deductible, for fraud. There are windows of opportunity that you must jump through so timing is everything here. Stay on top of it.

Additionally, for future claims take pictures of the speaker box and contents BEFORE UPS comes to look at it. They will need to take it from you and will issue you a receipt for the item. YOU WILL NEVER SEE THIS ITEM AGAIN!

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 06-16-2002 at 09:42 AM

Even if the seller insured the item and UPS honors the claim you may not see the insurance money. The check is written to the seller who bought the insurance. It also take a couple of months to settle a claim. UPS will probably deny the claim first and then you'll have to fight. An easier solution is to ask the seller to send you 50.00 as compensation for the damaged speaker. Then you can build a new box for the drivers (if u are handy). This is always the chance you take when you buy on Ebay. Don't get me wrong. I've bought 3 pair of Heresys, three amp, a preamp and speaker wire without any trouble. I've been very lucky. UPS is probably at fault if the box had physical damage to it. Good luck.

Trader,

I was actually thinking about asking the seller if he would refund me $50. That sounds fair too me. I kind of doubt he will do it but maybe its worth a try.

I dont understand why does the insurance money go to the seller. This is grossly unfair. I bought the speaker outright and should have rights to any claim. this doesnt make sence to me at all.

Now I really regret leaving positive feedback for this guy. I should have waited until this was all settled. GGGRRRR!!!

------------------

Klipsch 5.2 mains

Klipsch 4.2 rears

Klipsch KLF 10 Horned converted center channel

Sony Hi-Fi VCR player

I have had a couple of claims paid out by UPS insurance. In both cases I had purchased something that UPS damaged in transit to me. In both cases I spoke with the claim investigator and the insurance checks were sent to me not to the seller (the seller agreed that the check should go to me also).

In one case I had already paid for a replacement part that was damaged and UPS only needed a copy of the receipt to reimburse me.

Take good photos of the box and the damage to the speakers. File a claim and be rational with the claim investigator and you should be okay.

Good luck!