What tools are needed TT and vinyl?

MH: There are always exceptions. While it is difficult for me to imagine a TT that would not benefit from a high mass platform, it is metaphysically absurd to debate what another person hears, and ethically iffy to doubt they hear it. As to my "Dream" turntable, that would depend upon whether it is post-lottery win or reality based. Sticking with reality, my plan if purchased new, was a Rega Planar 3. However, when budget permits, I suspect I will haunt Ebay for the same money and hope to get a Michel or Micro Seiki or something else trully spectacular (Linn included) for the same money. Right now, I've my eyes on a couple of candidates (see me off list if you want to know...I don't want any competition on them!) on Ebay as temporary solutions that will mount the SME 3009 II arm my audiophile angel is bestowing on me. If I get same up and running in the next couple of weeks, I'll report thoroughly. For cartridge, I am limited to my own stock for budgetary purposes at the moment. I've a Stanton 991 I am not sure I can get a stylus for, the Grado Signature (old line, not the pricey new one, for which I shall get a new stylus and use. It's the one my wife immediately liked and heard a major difference from the previous. Also a Shure M91ED, an Empire 880, also not sure whether anyone is making a stylus for, a Stanton 681EEE, same situation, and a Shure M44 outfitted for 78. Actually, I HAVE my dream TT for 78's: Empire 598 Mk II with a Grado ZF3E+ running through an Audio Alchemy phono stage. Can't imagine them sounding any better. I'd originally intended to use the Empire as my main TT, but could not figure out the micro adjustments on it. They are plenty close enough for 78's, however.

There's a ramble for you. Jeff started this thread to try to get back to TT/vinyl maintenance, and here we go again!!!!

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: Timeless

Chris-What the hell is that supposed to mean?

fini

edit: Uh, you see, this is what I was talking about...This post was intended to be placed immediately following Chris' post. There it might have been funny... Here's me digging a (post) hole to crawl into...

This message has been edited by fini on 06-14-2002 at 12:23 PM

Thanks for the information guys. This is exactly what I am looking for. I would have never thought of a bubble level but it makes perfect sense. I like the idea of the scale too. Keep the ideas flowing. I am going to have to invite Dave over to demonstrate his record washing method.

How about turntable mats? Any recommendations?

Humm all this is making me understand why people like CD's Smile.gif but I am willing to forge on and see what the results are. I think at first I am sure I will just throw the vinyl on and not worry about it. However it is great to get recommendations for the next steps.

Laters,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

Jeff, you've really hit the nail on the head. The following is true of the audiophile community in general, and peaks in the LP area:

The equipment freaks, always listening for what is WRONG with their system, and never satified until they find something to fix.

The music freaks: always praying NOTHING will break through the music veil to annoy them and cause them to have to diddle with something.

Now, remember, at both ends this is a HOBBY, and there is absolutely nothing wrong or right about either side. I'm sure either extreme is happy doing what they do, and the majority switch sides from time to time as their attitudes and experience changes.

I started out in, and have largely remained, on the music side. I've said many times if I could get a little black box that was flat from DC to Light and had only a volume control, I'd sit and listen to it until I died. Sure, I get SOME degree of pleasure from the equipment, but I generally just want to get it working right and leave it alone.

Since you are just getting started with records, I suggest you relax, not worry too much, get your Kenwood set up with the least hassle possible, and enjoy. If the other bug is going to strike, it'll get there without any help!

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: Timeless

Mats were just brought up. My MMF-5 just has a felt mat and although I just love the table the records have a tendency to bring the mat up with them when removing. Without paying 90.00 bucks for a SorboGel mat is there any cheaper alternatives. Maybe a rubber mat off a garage sale table?

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

McIntosh C-15 Preamplifier

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer

Transparent Audio Cabless>

Rowoo,

I had a MMF1.2 for a couple of weeks and noticed the felt mat problem (sticking to records) you spoke of. I zapped the mat with a Zerostat gun I use on my records and it stopped happening. Some of the above posts talk about antistatic devices. You might want to try one. Although I must admit feeling kinda stupid using an antistatic gun. Standing there, pointing the "gun", nothing visual happening and my 8 year old son asks, "Dad, what are you doing?". I reply, "Going off the deep end son.".

Regards,

Chris

------------------

2 channel

Klipsch Cornwalls (1978)

Cary CAD 300SEI amp (WE 300B's, various NOS 6SN7's)

Arcam Alpha MCD cd player

Accuphase T-101 Tuner

Clearaudio Champion TT

Rega RB250 ST arm (Six Stream wire and cable)

Benz MicroAce Cartridge

EAR Phono Stage

HT

Klipsch KG2.5 (front & rear)

Klipsch KV2 (center)

Klipsch SW12 (sub)

Marantz SR7000 receiver

Toshiba DTS DVD

JVC SVHS VCR

Sony Hi8 VCRs>

This message has been edited by cjk1026 on 06-14-2002 at 02:02 PM

That's exactly right, it's JUST static causing the felt to cling to the record. The Zerostat Gun is not cheap however but it works like a charm. Someone made off with mine and I need a new one. IT comes in handy, especially for what you mentioned above as well as keeping lint-dirt-etc from sticking to your vinyl.

Linn actually recommends the felt mat as the best alternative with their tables although others have reported good results with the cork platter device from Ringmat.

kh

I was never so apprehensive about any "high end voodoo" purchase in my life than when I bought the Ringmat and had it shipped over here from England about 3 years ago. Man oh man--EIGHTY BUCKS for a piece of paper with some cork rings glued to it. I felt so ripped off when I opened the package.

BUT!

Then I put in on the Thorens, popped on a Jimmy Smith LP (still remember the one--Blue Note #1551) and almost fell over with how crisp and clean and SNAP! right-on everything sounded.

Worth every penny (at least on the TD-124).

I might have to see if I can find one of those static guns used. I have seen them on ebay before. I knew static was the problem just wondered if there was any cheap tweaks to help that problem. The Music Hall has a glass platter so they must have felt the felt mat was the best type mat for this unit. I've seen much lower priced tables with rubber type mats. I think the static gun might be the best route. Thanks guys......

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

McIntosh C-15 Preamplifier

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer

Transparent Audio Cabless>