Heresy with a sub?

cyto

I have a pair of Heresy II that I have modified quite a bit and the bass is pretty darned good, just not really low.

For those that have added a sub to a pair of Heresy's I have a question:

What sub did you use and did it really make that much difference?

Thanks

David

I have a set of home built subs that I run with my Heresy III speakers. I find this combination awesome. I cross over at 85Hz to the subs in all formats.

The NHT 1259 is an excellent sub driver, but is no longer made.

The subs are driven by their own 300W/ch amp.

I am looking forward to the Emotiva XMC-1 when it comes out as it has independent DRC for each sub which is needed when you have one sub in a full corner and the other in a partial corner with a doorway.

What sub did you use and did it really make that much difference?

I have used three different subs with my Heresy I's in a 2-channel setup-----Paradigm Servo 15a, Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature, and a Klipsch RSW-10d. All were great but the RSW was king in musicality in my 13 x13 room.

Here is a wonderfully musical subwoofer for sale right here on our beloved forum.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/168808.aspx?PageIndex=1

Same drivers as my RSW-10d but with one extra(2) passive woofers.

Bill

I have been wanting to try a sub first as I may not like the result.

I have two Emotiva subs in my HT, I would try one of those but they only have RCA and XLR inputs.

My integrated tube amp only has speaker level outputs

Can I attenuate the signal from the speaker level output so it would be compatible with the RCA inputs on the Emo sub?

Sub will make a big difference with the Heresy's. i had two sets of heresy's and now down to a single set. Invest in the sub, you wont turn back. I used a KTSW15, was great. I've also tried a paradigm pw1200 as well. If your using 2 channel, it should be lickity split to integrate.

If you want to try a sub on a budget, buy an old home theater in a box and only use the sub with your Heresy's. I bought two Onkyo HTIB systems, kept the 2 Onkyo SKW-530 Subwoofers and sold the other pieces. I think they both work with the Heresy speakers quite well.

That isn't a bad idea. Space is my main issue (WAF), I need something small.

I could go for two small subs and put one behind each Herersy.

That isn't a bad idea. Space is my main issue (WAF), I need something small.

I could go for two small subs and put one behind each Herersy.

I would jump on this deal asap.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/549185018

Small, sealed(2 passives/1 active) and a great price.

Klipsch SW308

549185018_1?$vdc_normal_image$

Vanns is great to work with IMO.

Bill

My integrated tube amp only has speaker level outputs

Disregard my suggestion of the pair of Klipsch 308's, I missed your statement here about only speaker level outputs.

But, I f you can find a Paradigm X-20 crossover on the used market, problem solved.

NEW Paradigm X-20 Subwoofer Crossover

NEW Paradigm X-20 Subwoofer Crossover

I had two of the X-30 crossovers(no speaker level inputs) and it was a wonderful piece of gear.

Bill

Cyto, I have a pair of H3s in a very large room and added a Velodyne DD15 sub to fill in the bass which they can't quite produce. The result is great! Positioning the H3s with respect to the rear wall was very important for a balanced sound. Corner placement of the Heresies is not an option in my room, so that's where the DD15 lives. I do not have any deficits in the low frequency department, except for the room suck-out at around 64Hz which I cannot correct.

post-46771-13819825231098_thumb.jpg

I don't think small subs are useful beyond desktop PC's, and really don't care for speaker level crossovers that were not designed specifically for the speakers used.

There might be a good way to use a sub with your integrated amp, but I don't know its specifics, types of outputs etc.

I'm looking for a sub myself for use with Forte or Heresy speakers, and dual long throw 12" drivers are the minimum I am considering.