RB-81's ??

crIII

I am using a set of KT-LCR's as main's in my home theater. I would like to upgrade but my speaker size must stay under 30Hx13w. I am considering the RB-81's based primarily on the higher powers handling capability. Would this be a note worthy upgrade?? Other suggestions?

well it seems like you would be a little shorter, narrower, and deeper. but you would gain some low end with a lower frequency response, and a higher sensitivity so a little more volume from the same amp you already have. i have never heard either speaker. but i know i have read lots saying the rb-81ii is basically a tower speaker. so i would say you would probably be happy, plus with that model you can buy singles. any smaller and you would have to buy two pair. make sure you buy from somewhere like acoustic sound design to get the best price. you have to call them. they will give you a killer deal over the phone.

I have them set up as my rears...can't really say much as using them as fronts, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it if I had to for space reasons.

+1

I have the older 81's as rears as well and love them! Before mounting them I switched out my RF-35's fronts with the 81's and they work fantastic as fronts combined with my RC-64. Even with the one woofer they filled out my 13 x 22 room for both HT and 2 channel.

I have rb-5's, basically the older rb-81's and i'll tell you this, on my harman kardon 2 channel receiver....the bass output and the speakers full range output will put a majority of floorstanders to shame. I wouldnt hesitate ever owning a pair if space is a concern. The rb-5's are rear ported which is a good and bad thing. Good because it can use the rear wall to create bass response and negative since they shouldn't be hampered by being kept in an enclosed cabinet. The front firing RB-81's eliminate the cabinet issue at the expense of using the rear well to help deflect the ported bass wave.

I have rb-5's, basically the older rb-81's and i'll tell you this, on my harman kardon 2 channel receiver....the bass output and the speakers full range output will put a majority of floorstanders to shame.

I second that. I have owned two pairs of RB-5's and absolutely loved them. I currently own a pair of RB-35's(my third pair) which directly preceded the RB-81's, and love them also, not as much as the RB-5's but pretty close. The 81's supposedly are smoother and more refined than the 35's so I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Bill