Onkyo TX-NR809 - Issue?

kapsnb01

I've run it with and without my Carver amp, not a lot of difference at moderate volume. Once you get it cranked you can tell the Onkyo was clipping a bit. What I meant earlier is that if you run the Audssey you can turn it all the way up and you don't get anywhere near "loud". I'll work on it again soon.

Something sounds off to me...with mine, I've not had this issue at all. Audyssey set the fronts at -4.5 and the center at -3.5, and the setup sounds significantly louder and fuller after running Audyssey than prior to running it. I'm only running mine as a 3.1 system right now. Just so you know (in case you didn't), after it asks for the 3 listening positions, you can continue to add listening positions. I think you just have to select continue or something like that. I ran mine on 5 or 6 positions.

I saw earlier that you mentioned you could turn it up to 100 and it wouldn't seem loud, I can't hardly get mine much above 70 for fear it'll blow out the windows. In actuality, it's very loud at 60. Not sure what's going on with yours, but something really seems off from what you've described.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also does the Audyssey set equalization of the various Hz bands? Mine does nothing to those settings.

I'll take a look at it tonight when I get home. To be honest, I played around with so many screens and such last night that they're all running together! [;)] But, I'll give it a look and let you know what it's showing.

I used the Audyssey long setup and it sounds horrible at those settings.
Sounds sort of distant or hollow.
Also turning system up to 100.0 is not all that loud with 250+ watt amp.
I would have thought the same thing, but it is dramatic how much better it sounds.

I'm only running 2.1 and I don't think it really knows what to do about it.
I'll continue to look at tuning settings. There is a lot there.

Just bought this AVR myself last week, and I too was having issues with the sound not being loud enough. The Yamaha rxv-671 that it replaced would be turned up to -12db to -10db max for watching movies. With the Onkyo I had to turn it to -6db to -4db for the same movies, and it still didn't seem as loud. Not sure if you have tried this, but what seems to of fixed the issue for me, was going into the setup Menu. Go to the number 4 option called "Source Setup". Once in there go to option number 2 called "Intellivolume". You can raise or lower the volume for each source. So if you're on the BD source adjust to your liking, but you'll have to do it individually for each source. Your settings do save. My overall volume for each source increased significantly. Hope this helps, and that I'm not repeating something that has been advised already.

My question for the forum is I purchased this AVR with hopes of using external amps, ex. Emotive XPA 3, in the future. Will this honestly make a difference or, since these speakers are so efficient it doesn't really help? I'm currently running rf82ii and rc62ii. Thanks for your thoughts and advice

cdub5 -- nice avatar -- my father-in-law was Director of Player Personnel (Head of Scouting) for NY Giants from 1980-2002.

He had a couple of rings too!

I changed the settings you suggested to +6db will try it out for a day or two.

I reran the Audyssey and it came out about the same. It seems sort of distant, like it is sending some of the sound to the non existent center/surrounds.

Too tired to mess with it anymore tonight.

Your father in law sounds like a great man. Tell him I say thank you for two SB wins and a third appearance that........well let's just not mention that one. Hope something works for ya. Hopefully it's just a lemon, and your Amazon replacement will work flawlessly. Fingers crossed.

I thought that was the purpose of the Audyssey -- Just what does it do?

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in, but I think the EQ that Audyssey is defaulting to "off" is the parametric, which can be adjusted manually. Page 50 of the manual has a note under equalizer that says that when Audyssey is turned on, it's settings prevail over the equalizer. So, there are 2 equalizer sets, manual and Audyssey's. Maybe I've missed it so far, but I haven't found the screen where one can adjust the Audyssey specific EQ settings, (I doubt it exists). If you go to Audyssey's web site, it's obvious that the program is doing significant calculations to flatten out the response. I have yet to find anywhere in the menu or in the manual that tells you where you can adjust Audyssey's specific calculations though.

Edit: Nice call Tas...beat me to the punch! [;)]

I will try this at 10 and 15db -- I haven't testing with B-ray movies

¦Reference Level

Audyssey Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset

??0dB:

This should be used when listening to movies.

??5dB:

Select this setting for content that has a very wide

dynamic range, such as classical music.

??10dB:

Select this setting for jazz or other music that has a

wider dynamic range. This setting should also be

selected for TV content as that is usually mixed at

10 dB below film reference.

??15dB:

Select this setting for pop/rock music or other

program material that is mixed at very high listening

levels and has a compressed dynamic range.

Movies are mixed in rooms calibrated for film

reference. To achieve the same reference level in a

home theater system each speaker level must be

adjusted so that 30 dBFS band-limited (500 Hz to

2000 Hz) pink noise produces 75 dB sound pressure

level at the listening position. A home theater system

automatically calibrated by Audyssey MultEQ XT will

play at reference level when the master volume control

is set to the 0 dB position. At that level you can hear the

mix as the mixers heard it.

Audyssey Dynamic EQ is referenced to the standard

film mix level. It makes adjustments to maintain the

reference response and surround envelopment when the

volume is turned down from 0 dB. However, film

reference level is not always used in music or other nonfilm

content. Audyssey Dynamic EQ Reference Level

Offset provides three offsets from the film level

reference (5 dB, 10 dB, and 15 dB) that can be selected

when the mix level of the content is not within the

standard.

Note

If Dynamic EQ setting is set to Off, these technologies

I would consider resetting the unit and starting fresh with the entire set up.I would disconnect everything, reset, then reconnect one source.I would do basic set up, then plug in mic to finish audyssey.

Thanks that is next, I don't have that much done in the way of customization.

Everyone acts like you just run Audyssey and your troubles are over, with this unit, not by a long shot.

Chris over at Ask Audyssey has replied to some of my questions over there.

Stupid question.

Why would you even run Audyssey for a 2.1 setup.

You would want your left and right channels balanced in volume and you add a little boost to the sub or just turn up the volume knob on the sub to get it to your liking.

My 818 as a pre/pro and Anthem 5 channel amp at only 125 per channel will break your eardrums at about

70 on the volume knob. Never tried it in 2.1 but shouldn't be any different.

I haven't run room correction either, just tweaked the rears about +5 to adjust for distance.

Sounds wonderful.

Stupid question.

Why would you even run Audyssey for a 2.1 setup.

You would want your left and right channels balanced in volume and you add a little boost to the sub or just turn up the volume knob on the sub to get it to your liking.

My 818 as a pre/pro and Anthem 5 channel amp at only 125 per channel will break your eardrums at about

70 on the volume knob. Never tried it in 2.1 but shouldn't be any different.

I haven't run room correction either, just tweaked the rears about +5 to adjust for distance.

Sounds wonderful.

I really agree, for 2.1 just calibrate the channels equal at any +db. I was just thinking about whether the unit has any issue in operation but you really need 5.1 to try full audyssey.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

Last night I found out the receiver was resetting the sub cut over to 40Hz after running the Audyssey.

Also I set the Reference Level to 15db since my direc TV and Blu-Ray music is coming in at lower levels than a movie (Blu-Ray).

Now it the dynamic equalization works at moderate volumes and I can get it pretty loud. I was listening to some rock at 0db and it was shaking the house.