50watts McIntosh vs. 125 watts Emotiva

The Dude

Guest David H

Dynaco is another brand I would like to try sometime.

Dynaco's are very nice, one of my favorites is the ST-35. The Dynaco kits are fairly easy to buiild if you are so inclined.

They will go nicely with your SP6.

Dave

Dynaco's are very nice, one of my favorites is the ST-35. The Dynaco kits are fairly easy to buiild if you are so inclined.

They will go nicely with your SP6.

Dave

1 which kit are you referring to as I found 2 different ones.

2nd the ST-35 appears to be a push pull el-84, how does this compare to other push pull EL-84 amps such as the H.H. Scott 299(wait the H.H. Scott is a EL-84 push pull right). I know the H.H. Scott is a integrated, and has a lot of filtering stuff going on. As the ST-35 looks a lot more simplified.

At one time I had two Dynaco 40 wt tube power amps, then later had on long term loan a McIntosh 30 wt tube power amp and a McIntosh 40 wt tube power amp.

• The McIntosh amps measured better (only Harmonic Distortion at full RMS power was measured).
  • The Dyna and McIntosh sounded about the same, rather warm and effortless, and with more than enough power, and I like it loud.
  • BOTH sounded subjectively better than any Solid State power amp I've had (Luxman, Yamaha, and NAD), although the Luxman integrated SS amp came close.

Isn't the MC2505 solid state? I'm not sure a lot of this about McIntosh tube amps apply.

I would think the difference mostly comes down to the variation in the frequency response due to the outputs via transformer taps sounds better to some folks. It is likely the Emotiva is flatter but less pleasing due to being flatter. The other issue is that the UPA amps are not considered giant killers as the XPAs seem to be better accepted for higher quality sound.

"I would think the difference mostly comes down to the variation in the
frequency response due to the outputs via transformer taps sounds better
to some folks. It is likely the Emotiva is flatter but less pleasing
due to being flatter."

The MC2505 measure dead flat down to 10hz or so, as do most amplifiers.

Yet amplifiers with the same measured frequency response can (and do) sound very different from each other.

All older amplifiers will benefit from having the small electroltics replaced, and some bypass caps added.

Even though this changes no measurable performance specification, it will change the sound more than you can believe.

Jackhammer bass from an amp with a DF of only 14?