J. River Media...

SWL

Have used it for a couple of years. Very happy with it for audio and video. Easy to use, not buggy, and excellent audio controls. Just upgraded to MC18 the latest version a couple of days ago, seems like they have improved it a little over the MC16 I had been running.

I have version 16 installed on my living room HTPC. I like it a lot. It puts Windows Media Center to shame. I bought it primarily for it's ability to play FLAC files without a lot of futzing with it.

Yes... I know that WMC/WMP can be made to play FLACS but it's more effort than I want to put in to it. Especially when there's a drop in app that will do all the heavy lifting for me.

Recommended!

I currently use version 17 and have been a long time user. I have yet to find a better system to play my .flac files. Those files are now housed in an unRaid based NAS box and streamed to my HTPC, which uses JRiver MC. The server functions of JRiver are excellent for allowing me to access my music for my HTPC, housewide audio and my iPad and Droid. I use the Gizmo app to control my JRiver MC server remotely.

The whole system works extremely well. I keep hoping someone whith the knowhow will develop a linux based server for unRaid....then I wouldn't need the HTPC to stream my music to the pre-amp.

I am currently not aware of a more capable and flexible media center software.

Easy to use, not buggy, and excellent audio controls.

I agree. Easy to use and the sound quality is excellent. However, mine has been buggy....the main reason I started the thread. I've had it for about a year now....started out with version 17 and upgraded to version 18 a couple of months ago.

The only real problem I've had with it is that it freezes up. It got to the point where I went a couple months without even using it.....so I'd switch over to Spotify. I go back and forth.

The last few days it has been working very good. No freeze ups. There have been a few updates that I downloaded and none of them seemed to help.......but hopefully this last one fixed the problem.

Again, the sound quality is awesome on my system. Darn near as good as my Jolida tube cd player. I use Spotify and J. River mostly because of the ease of use, flexability and the opportunity to find new music.

I read somewhere that J. River is coming out with an "audio only" version. Any truth to this?

The only real problem I've had with it is that it freezes up. It got to the point where I went a couple months without even using it.....so I'd switch over to Spotify. I go back and forth.

I have occasionally had a freeze issues, but only with an older Pentium machine (I have it running on 4 desktops and 3 laptops). On all the other machines it runs fine. I wonder if it is more of a processor issue than a buggy software issue? Don't know about an audio only version. I am not sure what the advantage would be. BTW if you want it to sound as good as your Jolida get a good tube DAC. If you get a good one it might even sound better.

I installed it but removed it within a week. I now use mostly Foobar. Perhaps there was a default setting or I made a wrong setting change because it started modifying all my FLAC files. I found that it was deleting the images I had embedded in the FLAC files and automatically installing its own. Since I interrupted the process it left some of my files without images.

Something I want any player to do for me is let me see the music by FOLDER NAME. I have everything named the way I want it by folders and I don't need itunes, J. River, or any other application telling how I have to view my music. I didn't find a way to get past how it will show any album with "Various" artists multiple times and with only the one song. Does anybody else hate this? Their support folks didn't offer any help or even answer my email.

I know J. River is supposed to be a good sounding application. In my experience these players do not sound the same even when set to identical output methods. I don't know what they could be doing differently with the file they are playing. The difference is slight but so far Foobar has sounded the best to me. Too bad I couldn't get past my issues with J. River because it seemed to sound pretty good too.

BTW if you want it to sound as good as your Jolida get a good tube DAC

Next on the list! In the meantime this little HRT Music Streamer ll+ is doing a fine job.....completely exceeded my expectations. [Y]

Well, after giving JRiver such a glowing recommendation I now have an issue with it. I just upgraded to MC18 and have discovered that any (all?) of my wav files are in the MC library with Chinese characters instead of English. A little research on their forum reveals my situation is not unique. Still a great program and I am sure they will fix the bug but what a PITA in the meantime. [:@]

Sorry to hear your issue. The other day I was looking at upgrading to version 18, but reminded myself that over the years I have learned to avoid being an early adopter of software...like Windows or almost anything else unless I must have some feature or other.

Hopefully you can get your problem worked out.

Sorry to hear your issue. The other day I was looking at upgrading to version 18, but reminded myself that over the years I have learned to avoid being an early adopter of software...like Windows or almost anything else unless I must have some feature or other.

Hopefully you can get your problem worked out.

The good news is that I still have MC16 running as well.