Tung oil

laager

Thanks John: I have seen too many times people who simply do not understand and so do not believe in the danger of these air drying oils many of which are used in fence and deck stains (linseed oil for example) and they can be very dangerous and can cost lives. I don't take offence I simply wanted people to understand that this is for real. Most of the time when you mention spontaneous combustion people immediately think of spaceemen and ray guns and they laugh it off. I like to laugh too and I like to find the lighter side of a situation when I can, I only want to impress the seriousness. I appreciate you posting with your recollection of the fire in your garage when you were a youngster. Best regards Moray James.

Most "country folk" seldom laughed off spontaneous combustion, since they were all too familiar with hay barns burning down due to hay which was baled before it was completely dry and then stored in lofts. Modern "country folk" don't see this as often as it was preveiously seen, due to round rolled bales pretty much taking the place of rectangular bales, but generally stored outside instead of in barns.

I have seen more than my fair share of spontaneous combustion due to rotting vegetation in enclosed spaces and rags and such loaded with combustibles and improperly stored.

-Andy.

Does anyone use Tung oil on their enclosures? If so, for the veneered enclosures, are you diluting it and at what ratio?

Straight up, wipe on - wipe off, buff with clean rags, let dry one day. Four or more coats to start. chris

I agree, and that's the way I use it on furniture. Great stuff, it provides a hard durable finish.

Does anyone use Tung oil on their enclosures? If so, for the veneered enclosures, are you diluting it and at what ratio?

Straight up, wipe on - wipe off, buff with clean rags, let dry one day. Four or more coats to start. chris

The stuff I used was pretty much the same thing. Works great!