best center for belle's

crustywon

so what you are saying is that because I dont have room for 3 belle's in a row in my room I sould not even have a pair of them? Just looking for some help with sonic matching.

You won't find a center in the size you're looking for that can keep up . Is there an issue with a tv stand or entertainment center that rules out a proper center ?

I was going to pick up a pair of Belles and didn't know what would match up sonically for a center. No room for a 3rd Belle in front. C-7, RF-7, Academy? Suggestions?

Academy. You're going to lose a lot of fidelity and extension on the low end, however. Better is a Heresy, if you can shoehorn it in, but its LF will have higher modulation distortion than the Belles.

You can try running without a center speaker if the distance between your fronts is too short for a third Belle in the center to set your television upon, but you will lose some intelligibility in spoken dialogue. Recommend putting the electronics to one side in order to accommodate a better center speaker.

Chris

We're not saying because you cant fit another Belle, you shouldn't buy them, I've personally had Belles as left and right, and you'll be very happy with them. I've also used several of the suggestions above as a centre channel. La Scala and Heresy. I am currentlyl using a Heresy as a centre with my Jubilee's(hopefully for only another month or two.)

I wouldnt use anything less than a Heresy as a Centre in your case. I should also mention that i have my centre turned way up(+ about 4dB), in order achieve the balance i was looking for. Heresy is not that big, i'd try to get out your shoe horn and fit one in if possible.

The Heresy is a decent compromise is size vs sound for you.

I was going to pick up a pair of bells and didn't know what would match up sonically for a center. No room for a 3rd belle in front. C-7 rf-7 academy?suggestions?

My experience with an Academy between two LaScalas was not good. They simply drown out the Academy. I might not have had everything adjusted properly... then again, I seem to recall cranking the center channel up to the max in my Yamaha. Been a long time.

I finally sold the Academy's (I had three) and went phantom.

I think it's going to be a matter of tradeoffs for you. If you are restricted on size then it is what it is... if you can do something different then bigger will be better. The closer you can get in size to the Belle's the closer you'll get to matching sound.

The Heresy is only about 15 to 16 inches wide, you should be able to fit that between a pair of Belles. The Heresy is the only small speaker that's going to be a sonic match for the Belle (and even then - on some real explosive tracks...the Heresy can reveal that it is inferior to the Belle - having that small issue with my CW-H-CW front stage).

I picked up an acadamy for now but trying to get the tv wall mounted then I can go bigger and lose the tv stand. All in this picture is different now except the tv. Belles on the way, Sunfire cinema grand on the way, Krell HTS in place, Acadamy center in place. was thinking of 2 more acadamy's for rear l/r. open to suggestions.

post-55654-13819827434824_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am so non HT savy I don't know if modern HT gear allows for a phantom centre but that used to be my first choice (a very log time ago). This is what happens when people decide they want it all but also decide to compromise everything. I want a stereo and I want a HT. Good for them but it don't work that way. In a HT the centre channel is the single most important loudspeaker period. Pick your poison. In a balls to the wall theater set up all the loudspeakers shoud be the same loudspeaker after that everything else is a compromise. Then you hear the how do I make the best job of this mess kind of question. I think that the Klipsch RF series are probably represent the best available set of compromise's that most folks are going to be happy with. I vote to move the Belle's into another room and system for two channel use only. But that's just me. I think the Klipsch guys know how to knock up a pretty good surround system in a tidy and compact package at a good price. Better than that and you have to decide to stop screwing around or you are just kidding yourself and wasting money. Best regards Moray James.

Crustywon: that is a fine looking set up and reminds me a lot of the first time I heard a Klipsch loudspeakers which were a pair of Belle in a set up not much different looking from yours but that was a very long time ago. Thanks for posting you photo brought back great memories. Best regards Moray James.