Best amplifier for RF 7 classics

franticsled

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well after many hours of playing I have decided I do not like the sound of the m-70. I hooked back to the RX a1000 and sounds much better to me, but still on the bright side and can still hear the hiss on some tracks for 2 channel. I have considered doing the crossovers but will have a couple hundred in that with very noticeable...... but not day and night results (per what I have read here and elsewhere) I think my next move is going to be an amp as I planed from the start of this thread that way if I don't like it I can always resell or use it elsewhere. So I will be looking for an amp, used of course and have thoughts on adcom ,parasound, rotel or??? I know I want one on the warm side....with good bass but on the other hand my RX A1000 will feed the signal so how much will that shape the sound of any brand or model amp? I do a lot of movies/tv but listen to lots of music as well. Maybe I need two systems one for music and one for HT Any thoughts??

You was right, pulled a woofer out and found one wire unhooked!! However, I reran the setup and it still set it at +7.5. Sounds much better now. Now that the 7's are back on the avr I will run setup again to see if anything changes......... not sure why it would but its worth a try. I cant see anything being wrong with the speaker as it sounds good

I reran the setup and it still set it at +7.5

You are smarter than your AVR, even if it has more sensitive ears.

Try dropping the levels manually by 7.5 db on all channels. This should bury any residual upstream noise. You will get more useful range on your volume control, too.

Guys I have the RF7's like a lot of members. I think people should look at the spec sheet for this large floor standing monsters. The spec sheets states 250watts RMS, this is an understatement. I am running 375 to each one of mine and they will take way more on the LF side. The way I have found to get the best performance from mine is to Bi amp. Running them this way really makes everything flat and nice!. The problem I had with my Mac only on the RF7's it would sound great at low volumes but when turned up the horn would over power the LF to the point it seemed obvious to me. If think about electricity following the path of least resistance or the sensitivity after the power hits the crossover the horn will be louder every time. Using two channels of amplification on each you have two separate sources so the horn does not rob from the LF drivers, or when the LF drivers ohm dips the horn is not affected. Let me explain the 375 Mac MC250 (250x2) runs the HF on the RF7s and NAD 925 (130x5 give or take) runs the LF. This has given me such a good result I don’t normally have my Paradigm Servos turned on. This is just what has worked best for me I really want to get another amp to run the LF side that is a better match for the MAC something that will put out closer to 250 so everything will be equal. Feed the monsters!!!!!!LOL

Guys I have the RF7's like a lot of members. I think people should look at the spec sheet for this large floor standing monsters. The spec sheets states 250watts RMS, this is an understatement. I am running 375 to each one of mine and they will take way more on the LF side. The way I have found to get the best performance from mine is to Bi amp. Running them this way really makes everything flat and nice!. The problem I had with my Mac only on the RF7's it would sound great at low volumes but when turned up the horn would over power the LF to the point it seemed obvious to me. If think about electricity following the path of least resistance or the sensitivity after the power hits the crossover the horn will be louder every time. Using two channels of amplification on each you have two separate sources so the horn does not rob from the LF drivers, or when the LF drivers ohm dips the horn is not affected. Let me explain the 375 Mac MC250 (250x2) runs the HF on the RF7s and NAD 925 (130x5 give or take) runs the LF. This has given me such a good result I don’t normally have my Paradigm Servos turned on. This is just what has worked best for me I really want to get another amp to run the LF side that is a better match for the MAC something that will put out closer to 250 so everything will be equal. Feed the monsters!!!!!!LOL

Jeff,

That was a mouthful of techno jargon but it does make some sense. It does surprise me you are letting my NAD amp(yours now[:P]) drive the low end and the beast McIntosh drive the mids/highs. I know the NAD does have good bass drive capabilities but I guess I can understand using the Mac on the tweeters because of it's reputation for being very smooth and controlled.

You ever going to make it down to our neck of the woods?

Bill

I am running my highly modified Heresy 3 with a pair of modified Quad 405 stereo amps, one amp per channel so in a vertical bi amp configuration and augmenting the bass with a pair of HSU 10" subs with excellent tesults. Vertical bi amping is a definate jump up in performance. I also recently did the same with a pair of Yulong Amp 1's which are small analog 2x40 watt stereo amps again in vertical configuration with excellent results on the H3.The Yulong only cost $350.00 the pair delivered tax and duty in, very nice. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

These are my modified Heresy 3 up on custom designed 22" high four post Skylan Stands

post-46582-13819828298848_thumb.jpg

Ok you lost me with vertical bi amping.......I had thought about bi amping from my RXA1000 and putting a resistor or something external on the hf to tone them down with out spending a lot..... Not sure if this would work. My son loves the speakers and everyone else thinks they sound great but I have way more senitive ears then everyone else does I guess because the hf is just piercing and all mudded together in my opinion. They play loud, no doubt about that. I have the RXA 1000 and the M-70 amp. as well as an older JVC receiver I thought about trying just to see if it is the yamaha amps with klipsch that are the problem for me. Let me know. Thanks

I am running my highly modified Heresy 3 with a pair of modified Quad 405 stereo amps, one amp per channel so in a vertical bi amp configuration and augenting the bass with a pair of HSU 10" subs with excellent tesults. Vertical bi amping is a definate jump up in performance. I also recently did the same with a pair of Yulong Amp 1's which are small analog 2x40 watt stereo amps again in vertical configuration with excellent results on the H3.The Yulong only cost $350.00 the pair delivered tax and duty in, very nice. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

These are my modified Heresy 3 up on custom designed 22" high four post Skylan Stands

Guys I have the RF7's like a lot of members. I think people should look at the spec sheet for this large floor standing monsters. The spec sheets states 250watts RMS, this is an understatement. I am running 375 to each one of mine and they will take way more on the LF side. The way I have found to get the best performance from mine is to Bi amp. Running them this way really makes everything flat and nice!. The problem I had with my Mac only on the RF7's it would sound great at low volumes but when turned up the horn would over power the LF to the point it seemed obvious to me. If think about electricity following the path of least resistance or the sensitivity after the power hits the crossover the horn will be louder every time. Using two channels of amplification on each you have two separate sources so the horn does not rob from the LF drivers, or when the LF drivers ohm dips the horn is not affected. Let me explain the 375 Mac MC250 (250x2) runs the HF on the RF7s and NAD 925 (130x5 give or take) runs the LF. This has given me such a good result I dont normally have my Paradigm Servos turned on. This is just what has worked best for me I really want to get another amp to run the LF side that is a better match for the MAC something that will put out closer to 250 so everything will be equal. Feed the monsters!!!!!!LOL

Jeff,

That was a mouthful of techno jargon but it does make some sense. It does surprise me you are letting my NAD amp(yours nowStick out tongue) drive the low end and the beast McIntosh drive the mids/highs. I know the NAD does have good bass drive capabilities but I guess I can understand using the Mac on the tweeters because of it's reputation for being very smooth and controlled.

You ever going to make it down to our neck of the woods?

Bill

That was my thought as well, never owned either of the amps, but more power to the LF as the HF is already more than enough!!

Ok so I have two stereo amplifiers that's four channels of amplification right? One stereo amp is used to run one speaker which has its crossover split into two sections (bass and mid/hi). So amp number one uses one channel to drive the woffer and the other channel to run the mid/hi section the other stereo amp does the same think for the other speaker. this is what is called vertical bi amping.

The alternate would be to use one stereo amp to run the left and right woofers and a second stereo amp to run both mid/hi sections. This is know as horizontal bi amping. If you do not have matching amps this is the way to go otherwise the vertical mode has the edge.

If you amplifiers have independent gain controlls then you can adjust the level of your mid/hi sectiom. I think that if you were to hear what a modified Heresy can sound like you would be amazed. That said the K700/K702 mid horn ios what it is and even with modification it is not up to better horns with similar modifications. I would suggest that you look to a Forte ll or next better a KLF20 or best a CF3. Any of those will be a big jump up from a Heresy, Heresy ll or a Heresy 3. Though the H3 is the best of the Heresy by a wide margin. I hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

I know there are some others using Yamaha Amps to power the 7's, Have any of you guys tried other amps that are considered warmer .......what are your thoughts as I have several manufacturers that have been suggested. I talked to my local dealer and they said the older yamaha amplifiers or "Transistor Amps" as he called it where known to be very bright and Yamaha in general new and old are not a good match. He also stated they do not demo klipsch and yamaha unless requested....... I think I know why now!!! He suggested mac but thats out of my price range and second choice would be rotel, but they sell both products so I am wondering if the guys there are right or steering me toward what they sell!

Ok so I have two stereo amplifiers that's four channels of amplification right? One stereo amp is used to run one speaker which has its crossover split into two sections (bass and mid/hi). So amp number one uses one channel to drive the woffer and the other channel to run the mid/hi section the other stereo amp does the same think for the other speaker. this is what is called vertical bi amping.

The alternate would be to use one stereo amp to run the left and right woofers and a second stereo amp to run both mid/hi sections. This is know as horizontal bi amping. If you do not have matching amps this is the way to go otherwise the vertical mode has the edge.

If you amplifiers have independent gain controlls then you can adjust the level of your mid/hi sectiom. I think that if you were to hear what a modified Heresy can sound like you would be amazed. That said the K700/K702 mid horn ios what it is and even with modification it is not up to better horns with similar modifications. I would suggest that you look to a Forte ll or next better a KLF20 or best a CF3. Any of those will be a big jump up from a Heresy, Heresy ll or a Heresy 3. Though the H3 is the best of the Heresy by a wide margin. I hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

I own classic RF-7's Not Heresy but I have thought about klf 30 or rf 83's never heard either speaker tho so if anyone has a pair of either in the toledo ohio area let me know i would love to check them out!!!!

With horns the bigger the better so long as we consider the horns to be well designed bigger will always be better. Two ways will integrate over a shorter (much shorter) distance than a three way will. The KLF all have stock poly tweeter diaphragms which need to be upgraded to phenolic or titanium to appreciate them. If you like your RF7 I imagine that you will love theCF3 as it has a larger horn that that used in the RF7 but it does need to be raised up so that the centre of the horn is at your seated ear level. Rev one of three in the CF series are considered the best of the lot but a rev 2 can easily be turned back into a rev 1 by adjusting the vent length.

One of the members here Youthman has just picked up a set of very nice CF4 and is comparing them in his set up with a pair of RF83 I believe you might want to chek out his thoughts on the comparrison. Best regards Moray James.

Link to Youthman's thread

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/170914.aspx

Best of luck on your journey for information you have come to the right place.I don’t think you can find a better place to chat and learn or find better people. When people ask me about HT or just stereo equipment I say you most define your expectations.

Mr Land to address you post my favorite setup was using the B&K on the LF and the MAC on the HF. But I just can’t see breaking up the B&K pieces they look just so good in the workout room. And they sound so good on the KP’S

The rule still applies that the smaller the driver the more output with less power. This is why I like using the Bi amp setup. Guys by no means do I listen to this at full volume. But being able to have that much headroom gives you the ability to turn up the volume hear more of the music at all volume levels and not increase distortion. When I was in college I worked for a Paradigm dealer he always said distortion kills speakers. Using an amp that produces 200watts is great but you have to look at distortion at max power or when you have one of those days and you turn it up past your normal listening level.LOL it could be whatever kind of music Take this job and shove it, Pour some sugar on me (that one is for my wife) Hotel California. No matter. In my understanding headroom is the ability to increase DC current from the amp or source with out directly increasing distortion. Yes it will increase but not like when you are pushing amp to it limits. I have to say this, these are just my experiences and the way I like to run my system. In the HT world the way signals vary from dialog to explosions it is nice to have that extra power in reserve for when it is needed.

I am running 375 to each one of mine and they will take way more on the LF side. The way I have found to get the best performance from mine is to Bi amp. Running them this way really makes everything flat and nice!. The problem I had with my Mac only on the RF7's it would sound great at low volumes but when turned up the horn would over power the LF to the point it seemed obvious to me. If think about electricity following the path of least resistance or the sensitivity after the power hits the crossover the horn will be louder every time. Using two channels of amplification on each you have two separate sources so the horn does not rob from the LF drivers, or when the LF drivers ohm dips the horn is not affected. Let me explain the 375 Mac MC250 (250x2) runs the HF on the RF7s and NAD 925 (130x5 give or take) runs the LF.

When bi-amping speakers, the LF or bass driver requires 1.5x or more power than the HF drivers. Most people will use the more powerful amp on the LF component of the speaker. The trebble will sound louder and not be matched to the LF sometime when driving an amp/avr to the limits. The trebbel is then 3-5 db louder than the bass. This is usually not the horn or HF driver robbing from the the LF driver, it is the amp running out of steam. I have heard RF 7 brightness, the problems seems to be the preamp/amp/setup when this occurs. I use Yamaha amps and the sound is not bright. I have tried vertical and horizontal bi-amping. As M. James stated there can be some benefit to vertical bi-amping. How much is the question.