How bad/good are Radio Shack subwoofer drivers for DIY subwoofer?

fs1

Nothing to write home about.The Rat Shack had atwo good drivers(8" and 10")car units made in Canada that could be considered serious a few years ago.All the newer stuff they carry is plain and does not stand out in any way.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I don't think there is an easy answer. There are some booklets which they publish by a teacher from the New York City School system.

Good works as tutorials and hats off to the fellow. Very important that he put together an educational program with the support from RS. He is cut from the mold of one of my high school teachers which had a profound influence on my life.

On the other hand, it seems to me that the RS drivers are not in the same league as, for example, the Titanic design which you see in Parts Express. Pretty much hard core with plans and analysis beyond what RS is providing. So it might be a better way to go.

If I may chide: One thing that these good teachers don't do is pose a terse question, and then say "Well?"

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 06-17-2002 at 11:19 PM

well, i'm not a good teacher Smile.gif

hmmm....these RS drivers are, i think, Pioneer branded drivers. so what kind of bass (loudness, tightness) can i expect from them in a properly designed sealed enclosure... this question applies for the 12", and the 8" and 10" Ears was talking about?

on the other hand, how much better would the Adire Shiva 12" driver or the Audax 10" Aerogel be, again assuming a good sealed enclosure calculated using relevant parameters of these drivers?

• Like 1

fs1,

What are you looking to build, what's your budget, and expected outcome?

This will help you to pick a driver to meet those requirements.

Personally I would stay away from the RS driver. Proven designs are: Adire, BluePrint, Dayton, & a few others.

I went with a dual Tempest sonosub and couldn't be happier. This sub is TRULY awesome. VERY accurate & loud & simple to build.

Do some research on the HomeTheaterForum. Good luck..Mike

LOL, Sorry Jim but you made me laugh.When did the woofer blow ? Was it while you were watching The Phantom Menace ?

BOOM !!! OooH ! There goes Quadinaros'RS power coupling !cwm27.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

I was actually planning to get an entry-level 12" sub like a KSW-12 or JBL PB-12 when I transfer my HT in my living room (I'm currently using a JBL 8" in a small hallway).

I'm planning to spend around $500 for a new sub. If I go the DIY route, for $500 will I be able to make something much better than the KSW-12 or PB-12?

This message has been edited by fs1 on 06-20-2002 at 01:25 AM

• Like 1

fs1,

YES you can do VERY well for $500 in a DIY sub. Go over to the HomeTheaterForum and do some research in the DIY section. LOTS of info.

I believe there's also a few kits in that price range if you don't want to build from scratch.

A single 15" Tempest with a PE 250watt amp will blow away anything on the market for under $1k. You could easily build that sub either as a traditional box or a sonosub for under $500.

If you want to go commercial SVS seems to be the way to go, but I HIGHLY recommend DIY. If I can answer any more questions let me know as I learned a lot while building mine...Mike

Parts Expresss>

Parts Express

Any questions?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Ackkk...unfortunately, PartsExpress doesn't ship internationally...but AdireAudio does. Hmmmm...I wonder how much shipping would be on the Tempest though.

This message has been edited by fs1 on 06-23-2002 at 10:48 AM

• Like 1

Why don't you edit your profile and tell us where you live?

Thats too bad, Parts Express is cheap and has woofers from $10 to $500.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Try SVS CS series. You then have the flexability to use whatever amp you want. It is sort of like DIY, only you have the experts at SVS doing the really hard work of cabinet and driver matching. Plus they are on sale this summer!

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

SVS 25-31 CS: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

Sub amp: Onkyo M-5000

-------------------------