a day of electrical work prep = post hurricane sandy

Guest " "

• Moderators

That is alot of work, it's always a pain to go behind someone else.

They changed the code here in the last few years, ground on one bar, neutral on another, but they require a bar between the two. About all it did was make it look better really.

The code states within 6' of any point on a wall. Which means 12' between receptacle. You do have to run a 4 wire for 220V circuits. If you choose to run 3 conductor runs for 120V circuits you have to use 2 pole (220V) breakers because you are sharing a neutral and must turn BOTH legs of that circuit off because the neutral is a current carrying conductor. If this is NOT a sub panel the grounds and neutrals MUST be bonded, if this IS a sub panel the grounds and neutrals MUST be separated.

But they are connected with a metal bar which they require, I would think they should be separated if they wanted a real change, separate the ground form neutral. I must be missing something ?

yes , exactly. The nuetral runs to the typical point in the service box. The grounds however run to the new ground bar. This allows ground faults to go to ground with out having to flow against the current in the neutral bus.

post-22082-1381982806999_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

But they are connected with a metal bar which they require, I would think they should be separated if they wanted a real change, separate the ground form neutral. I must be missing something ?

yes , exactly. The nuetral runs to the typical point in the service box. The grounds however run to the new ground bar. This allows ground faults to go to ground with out having to flow against the current in the neutral bus.

Ok that explains the idea, I have asked many and that is the first time it seems to make sense to me. Really the old way didn't make much sense either but it was the standard for a long time. Thanks

Good luck with everything I know how much work it is, worked on a few houses hear after similar, the mud removal and then mold was the worst part, one day you will look back and all the work will be done and with luck never repeated.

If this panel is bonded then it makes absolutely no difference which "bar" your grounds or neutrals land on. They would both terminate at the same point- that's essentially what bonding means. I'm not quite sure why you ran a ground wire to your receptacle circuit- did the M/C not have a ground or a bonding wire in it? If it had a green wire in it then (obviously) that is your ground, but if it had a bare wire in it then you could use the flexible metallic conduit for your ground then you wouldn't have had to run those ground wires.

did a little work on the rats nest today. I mounted all the MC cables into the top of the box and ran the wires thru and trimed to the needed length. I needed a 220 line and two 20 amp 120 lines right away. The 220 line is going out to a sub-panel out in the trailer. The trailer is 8.5X18 and it's the shop for the restoration work. FEMA round two is happening tomorrow. Between insurance companies, FEMA, and SBA....they really keep you busy with inspections.

post-22082-13819828314662_thumb.jpg