HT 3.1 set up???? which speaker to choose?

InVeNtOr

hey guys,

i'm going down to a 3.1 (at some point) and i wanted suggestions. yes, i can use my RF-7's/RC-7 and i'm sure i'll love it. i am also not sure i can't fit those 3 into an "open floor plan." i was thinking of the RB-61/RC-61 or possibly getting the RC-64 if i can find a deal on it, when i'm about to pull the trigger.

here's the catch, i would really like to try out a KLF20 for the 3way, but i want a really good center. i also am a MOD nut, so i want play with these and change stuff out. i would love the speaker to have a front port because i'm sure wall space is going to suck.

to me, it almost sounds like i need to build a speaker, but i don't think i have the talent for that. i wouldn't know how big/small to make it, parts, or doing real tests with equipement.

to me the RB-61 route would be the easiest and simplest. i've already heard them, i owned them for a little bit, andi like them. i could do a crossover upgrade, binding post, internal wire, and be done.

anyways, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and will help me make my final decision.

oh, if it matters i plan on using the same gear in my sig. (processor, amp, sub, cables, wire, etc.)

This is a tough one since RB 61's are so different from the RF 7's and KLF 20's. But, if you are into MODs. why not get the 61's for fun and not be out of a lot of money and a smaller channel. Now mention building a speaker and someone on this forum will tell you how, lol.[:|]

my work computer would not let me respond!

anyways, i agree, a RB-61 would be a great cheap choice that i can mod. did klipch ever make a 3-way book shelf speaker? i couldn't find one, or at least something that said "3-way".

Weren't Heresy's considered bookshelf speakers?

klipsch hersey 2: DIMENSIONS: 21.375" (54.29cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm) x 13.25" (33.66cm)

that's not that bad.

klipsch RB-61 II: DIMENSIONS: 15.4 (H) x 12.3" (D) x 8.5" (W)

yeah they are bigger, but not like double the size....

i believe i have heard these before. i need to find someone in OKC that owns a pair and would let me listen to them. what's the going price on these? i have 2 options right now, Hersey 2 for $375 and Hersey 1 for $350 (both of those are a pair). i also know there are a ton of mods you can do. i don't know them off the top of my head, but i can ask you good kind people for th info.......

CECAA850,

thanks for the suggestion, if i want a "3-way" "bookshelf like" speaker, that's going to be my first choice. i simply didn't think of the herseys. can the Academy be used as a center channel? i have seen a 5.1 hersey set up, i assume another Hersey is best for a center. i would like to have a typical rectangle type center speaker, but i'm sure i can make it work if i have to.

• Moderators

An Academy is not terribly smaller than a Heresy

Academy DIMENSIONS: 23.25" (59.06cm) x 11" (27.94cm) x 10" (25.4cm)

Heresy ll DIMENSIONS: 21.375" (54.29cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm) x 13.25" (33.66cm)

No wonder why Academys are hard to find, they were only made for 2-3 years, didn't realize that.

before i dive too deep into this, are herseys even good for HT? i know that's open ended, but what i am trying to find out is, if i could only have 1 type of speaker, is that the best choice? i listen to ZERO music and i am a pure HT guy. i even moded my 7's to be crisper (with out harsh of course) just to make them the ultimate HT speaker. i have spoken to people on here who have a hersey 5.1, but they really liked that speaker.

i guess it comes down to, will a RB-61 out preform a hersey in a 3.1 HT environment? i know ears, room, and gear play a huge part, but i want to look solely at the performance of them.

there is a seller right down the street, if he doesn't sell his herseys (ver. 1) before i get my 7's here, i would really like to A/B them.

another question, i know most people like vintage gear with herseys, but if i am only using emotiva gear, how does that compare? i know any Reference speaker would blend well emotiva, it's the heritage line i am worried about.

• Moderators

before i dive too deep into this, are herseys even good for HT? I would think, the only thing they lack is real bass and should do great with voices

i know that's open ended, but what i am trying to find out is, if i could only have 1 type of speaker, is that the best choice? i listen to ZERO music and i am a pure HT guy. i even moded my 7's to be crisper (with out harsh of course) just to make them the ultimate HT speaker. i have spoken to people on here who have a hersey 5.1, but they really liked that speaker.

i guess it comes down to, will a RB-61 out preform a hersey in a 3.1 HT environment? i know ears, room, and gear play a huge part, but i want to look solely at the performance of them.

I would be very surprised if the RB-61 would out preform a Heresy, that's just me. We do have some RB-75's here and listening to them I would like the heresy more if I could only have one or the other. I think that mid horn gives it a edge. although it could just be all personal choice I actually never put the two side by side.

there is a seller right down the street, if he doesn't sell his herseys (ver. 1) before i get my 7's here, i would really like to A/B them.

That would be great if that could happen, it would make things easier to decide.

another question, i know most people like vintage gear with herseys, but if i am only using emotiva gear, how does that compare? i know any Reference speaker would blend well emotiva, it's the heritage line i am worried about.

I could be wrong but It seems like the biggest complaints with Emotiva, amps especialy is when they are put with really highly effecient speakers like the Khorn or Jubes= 402 horn, sometimes they hum or buzz. the lower power amps from Emotiva like the UPA never seemed to have that problem, just a guess from reading older post.

Also they were mostly using them for music, which is not you goal, it may help for ht, could be why many like them for HT ?

After reading here when I first joined I was looking for some Heresy's for Ht, none came up anywhere close, I ended up finding 4 Forte ll's and a pair of originals for HT. Later got some original Heresy's and a set of ll's , but just kept the Fortes for Ht

Good luck and hope you get to hear the Heresy's, that should give you a good idea which way you want to go.

before i dive too deep into this, are herseys even good for HT? i know that's open ended, but what i am trying to find out is, if i could only have 1 type of speaker, is that the best choice? i listen to ZERO music and i am a pure HT guy. i even moded my 7's to be crisper (with out harsh of course) just to make them the ultimate HT speaker. i have spoken to people on here who have a hersey 5.1, but they really liked that speaker.

3 Heresys would be great . . . As long as you have the a great sub to make it 3.1 . . . Just not a lot of bottom end in the small box . . . But again, if you like to mod . . .

I have the RB61s and several pairs of Heresys . . . As soon as I got a taste of my first Heresys, my RB 61s were immediately demoted from HT service and migrated to my wife's office as her office speakers.

IMHO, a pair of RB61s could never match a pair of Heresys (at least mine did not). They are just in two different leagues.