Will Crites Upgades to La Scalas Hurt the Match with Heresy II Centers?

Xki

I'm considering upgrading my 1971 La Scalas with new crites A/4500 cross overs and CT125 tweeters. My questions is since the Heresy IIs I use for centers are crossed at 6000k and the crites A/4500 will drop the mid to 4500k, will I loss any timber match between the La Scalas and the Heresy IIs?

If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate your thoughts.

The other option is to go with a new AA or new caps in the crossovers and still get the CT125 tweeters. These original crossovers are 42 years old and I KNOW they need help. Plus I want to get past the 17khz limit of the original tweets.

Thanks!

I think the sound is already different enough that it won't affect it much.

I made the switch in my L+R Klipschorns to A/4500 + CT125 but my center La Scala is still recapped AA with K77. Doesn't bother me.

Or should I say didn't bother me before but now that you made me think of it the ODC will kick in! [:@]

If anyone cares I have 3 a/4500 hz crossovers I would part with. 2 Diy versions that match exactly to the ones Crites builds just mounted to different boards, and 1 built from Crites. Hey what do you know Peter needs 1, and Xki needs 2. Pm me a offer I can't refuse, and all will be happy.

Hmmm.....

Still wondering about the timber match. I guess I'll PM ya with some questions. This stuff always happens to fast.

If anyone cares I have 3 a/4500 hz crossovers I would part with. 2 Diy versions that match exactly to the ones Crites builds just mounted to different boards, and 1 built from Crites. Hey what do you know Peter needs 1, and Xki needs 2. Pm me a offer I can't refuse, and all will be happy.

That's what I was thinking. Even though the timber is pretty darn close with some EQ, I think the benefits of the upgrades far outway any negatives if there are any.

Thanks

Since they are not a timbre match now, changing the crossover isn't as critical. If you had 3 matching Lascalas and wanted to change the network in the center, then the answer would be yes. With H2's, the answer is no. Go for it.

I dropped a pair of CT125 into my Heresy. I have also installed a good number of Bob's ti diaphragms into K79's. I have to say that I was very much surprised and pleased with the CT125 as it sounds very much like a K79 with ti diaphragms. So I think that if you upgrade your H2 to ti diaphragms you will have a very nice match. Hope this helps best regards Moray James.

I hadn't considered that. I'm happy with the K-76 in the H2s. The higher output than the K-77 in the La Salas is really easy to hear. I was hoping the CT125s would be better than the K77s. If these Crites are that much different in overall tone than the K-76, I might have to get ti diaphrams!

I dropped a pair of CT125 into my Heresy. I have also installed a good number of Bob's ti diaphragms into K79's. I have to say that I was very much surprised and pleased with the CT125 as it sounds very much like a K79 with ti diaphragms. So I think that if you upgrade your H2 to ti diaphragms you will have a very nice match. Hope this helps best regards Moray James.

Oh boy! Here I was just going to improve my mains and now I'm thinking 4 CT125s would be best. 2 for mains, 2 for the HIIs.

What I will do is upgrade the La Scalas and see if there is a noticable mis-match. I suppose there is always the option of a 3rd La Scalla even though there is no room for it. And If I get that bigger display even the Heresies will be hard to fit. OH! I know! An acoustically transparent screen! Problem solved.

May need to rob a bank. I'll give my wife the bullets, she already has a gun. Ain't this fun?

maybe I am deaf but I find the CT125 to sound very much like the Ti diaphragm in a K79 and that was a big surprise to me and I expected it to sound well like a phenolic which I don't think it does. Maybe it's the fluid in the gap I don't know. Best regrds Moray James.

Timbre will be much more imacted by different driver/diaphragm types than the crossover point. Either stay phenolic across the front or change them all to Ti, but don't mix.

Not meaning to hijack, but does magnet material matter here as well or mainly diaphragm.

A few months after I got my 1974 La Scalas, I replaced the K-77s with CT125s and the old "tin-can" caps with Bob's Sonicaps, and the sound was much improved.

The La Scalas don't sound exactly like Heresy IIs anyway, so I'd just go ahead.

Also, I upgraded the centre (now rear centre, since I got the front centre Belle) Heresy II to a Heresy III, and it sounds a bit different from the Heresy IIs it sits between. The sound is more clear, and the bass goes a bit deeper, so I've go no complaints about that.

Down the road, I plan to upgrade all the Heresy IIs to current H-3 spec.

Keep it comin' guys.

From the comments here and all the other posts over the years I've determined:

1) The La Scalas will sound much improved by a) getting the cross overs back in spec or upgraded. B) CT125 upgrade is worth it.

2) I shouldn't worry too much about timber match since I'm dealing with it now and it doesn't 'really' bother me.

3) I shouldn't mix phenol and tites because there is a difference that is clear.

4) HIIs are ok but HIIIs are noticable better.

So, I think it will be crossover upgrades for sure and 4 CT125s. I'll EQ and see if I can get to the point where I don't notice differences during listening sessions. And if that can't be achieved, I'll settle for what I get or search for a sigle La Scala for the center - funds permitting.

Thanks for the input! I'm out-of-pocket for the nect 10 days so I won't be able to do much except check in and see if anyone has more to add. BTW: The wife said she would not rob the bank. Venus and Mars thing I guess.

A few months after I got my 1974 La Scalas, I replaced the K-77s with CT125s and the old "tin-can" caps with Bob's Sonicaps, and the sound was much improved.

The La Scalas don't sound exactly like Heresy IIs anyway, so I'd just go ahead.

Also, I upgraded the centre (now rear centre, since I got the front centre Belle) Heresy II to a Heresy III, and it sounds a bit different from the Heresy IIs it sits between. The sound is more clear, and the bass goes a bit deeper, so I've go no complaints about that.

Down the road, I plan to upgrade all the Heresy IIs to current H-3 spec.