Which to buy?

SaveTheRhinos

So I'm ready to buy a home theater system or speaker system. My pops uses Klipsch and I'm from Arkansas and his speakers sound fantastic. He has two Heresy speakers from the 80s that sounds fantastic. I'm torn as to what to do. Should I roll with a reference system or a set of Heresy speakers, or perhaps something new? I'm looking to spend about 2,500 on the speakers. I'm pretty partial to the wood finish as opposed to the black finish, but I've never seen the black finish in real life so perhaps I would like it. I realize 2,500 isn't a lot to spend, but I just graduated from college and am taking a year off to furnish my apartment for dental school. Any advice would great. I could probably be convinced to spend a little bit more if it were a 7.1 system. Idk, any thoughts and feed back would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Rhino.

Rhino -

First off, welcome to the forum!

My advice would be to listen to as many speakers as you can so that you can find out which ones you like and which ones you don't. If you're not married to the idea of buying new, you can get a lot more bang for your buck buying used. But, you need to be patient and wait for the right deal to pop up.

Do you have a receiver to power them? Will you be using them more for movies vs music? Any size or space concerns? These answers will help in guiding you to the right set as well.

Thank you for the quick response. I'm not opposed to buying used in the slightest as long as they were well maintained. They will be in a typical apartment or small house and I'll be by myself so I'm not really concerned about space. I don't have receiver to power them yet, but my father uses an Onkyo Integra Tx-85 so I figured I would go with Onkyo although I haven't picked a model out yet. The speakers will be probably more for movies. I do listen to a lot of "music," but my music isn't really music according to my father (I listen to Hip-Hop and I don't consider that to require as much range as say classical music). I do like some Frank Sinatra and big band stuff though.

So you think I should go with Heresy?

If possible, I'd try to give the Reference RF-63 or RF-83 a listen, maybe the RF-7, the Epic CF3 or CF4, Forte, Heresy, and Cornwalls all a listen if I were in your boat. The trouble will be finding them to listen to, but you may find that you like one far better than the others. Easier said than done, I know, but speaking from experience, when I bought my first set I hadn't listened to anything else. I had no idea what speakers sounded good, and what type of sound I really liked.

Had the RF-62 system that I really liked, and have heard a lot of the other reference speakers. Some really good speakers in that line, but when I heard my Epic CF3s...I was hooked. Effortlessly fill a room and have a little more forceful presence than the reference that I've listened to. Strictly my opinion, but just what I prefer. Your tastes and results will undoubtedly be different...which is why I'd try to listen to as many as possible...even though it might be difficult.

Good luck with your search!

You can drive up to Kansas City if you wanted. I have 42's 52's 62's 63's all in the reference series as well as icon wf-35's which are awesome speakers for the price. Newegg sells them at a huge discount. You could get a full 7.0 set for 1400. That would leave 1100 for a killer sub and a descent receiver. If you want you could come up and hear anything you wanted. I am currently not working so am almost always free.

Not sure what sound you are after. The heritage to me are a little more forward and in your face. If that is your thing for music then the icon w is not for you. But if you like a little more laid back sound then the icon w is an awesome speaker. If I didn't already have my living room setup as well these would pull double duty for my smaller theater for sure.

You will get plenty of recommendations on what to buy but, strongly consider the size of the speakers, Khorns, Bell's, Cornwall's, Epic's, KLF's, RF 7, RF 83 and RF 63 are very large speakers and need a bit of room to sound good. They also have fairly strong bass that will travel through walls if you will be in an apartment. Some of the smaller Klipsch with a sub will also sound great. Oh, and welcome to the Klipsch community. I like the ideal of the RF 62's. Check out : Let's see your Home Theater tread.

I am leaning more towards the reference 52 and getting the two extra speakers to make it 7.1 or the 62s and not making it 7.1. Is amazon a good retailer for this? Which retailers if I buy new do you recommend?

look up user panacea engineering on here. He is a member and a dealer. Or you can call mike at acoustic sound design, he gives great prices too. You will save money with either option over buying at amazon and both are authorized dealers.

Rhino,

If you are near Hot Springs, AR, I would check out Solutions Home Entertainment. They carry the Reference line of HT speakers. They have a room set up to listen to. They also carry the Heritage line that you can listen to. They don't have the Klipschorn though. They are willing to work with you on prices.

I am leaning more towards the reference 52 and getting the two extra speakers to make it 7.1 or the 62s and not making it 7.1. Is amazon a good retailer for this? Which retailers if I buy new do you recommend?

look up user panacea engineering on here. He is a member and a dealer. Or you can call mike at acoustic sound design, he gives great prices too. You will save money with either option over buying at amazon and both are authorized dealers.

I will second looking up Panacea Engineering. Very helpful and extremely knowledgeable ,not knocking the others mentioned , just haven't dealt with them.

Guest Teresa Wright

If you are going Reference, the smallest I would go is RF-62's. My room is pretty small, but, when I listened to both-52's-62's-at the dealer, the 62's were alot better to my ears. But, I just bought some Heresy's and like them better than my RF. Just my .02

Rhino,

I'm thinking about unloading my La Scala's. They are '78 models in very good condition (9+/10). They are raw birch that are stained a light brown/golden color. If you are interested, let me know, I can send some pics. I also have most of the components for a single La Scala.....I was planning on building one (short version) for center channel. For the pair, and the components for a center, they would be hard to beat for HT...or music. I'm in Little Rock.

Hogfan