LaScala upgrades and crossover question

Ki Choi

Hi Klipsch Gurus:

I need your advice on few things:

1) What is the latest or most recommended Klipsch factory crossover? Is it AK-3?

2) What is the most popular crossovers for LaScalas here? Greg's, Al's (Universal or ES)

3) Bob Crite has nice Cornwall bass bins with his woofers. I kind of wan to keep the LaScala bass bin unless you tell me the Cornwall with Crite woofers are better.

My mid driver will be BMS 4592-MIDs with Greg's Fc260 horns and tweeter will be Beyma CP-25/JBL baby cheeks or other options I have - I would try and decide.

Currently, I am crossing over the LaScalars at 75Hz with an electronics crossover driving a pair of subwoofers with good results. Would Cornwall bass bins would let me get rid of the subwoofers? As I understand it, it goes down to 30hz.

Thanks,

Ki

Ki,

I'm listening to LaScalas with Crites Type A/4500 crossovers (with Erse caps) the sound is very good to my ears. Also am using a sub with LaScalas. It's a Cambridge Soundworks P1000 crossed at around 50hz.

One thing about the Cornwall or Cornscalas, the bass will be powerful and good, but it is not horn loaded. It's a subjective preference, of course, but some folks prefer the very low distortion of horn loaded bass.

If you have not yet bought said items... you might consider the 'JubeScala' and turn the speaker into a 2-way. You can use the Klipsch K510 horn with the K69 driver or the huge K402 horn with the same K69 driver. The K402 is used with the Jubilee as you may know.

You already have an active so that part is done.

Taking my Khorns from a 3-way setup to the 2-way Jubilee was the most significant step I made with regard to the speaker turning into "one voice" and not seperate drivers. My Khorns (with Al's ES networks) required about 30' before the three drivers merged into a single voice. The 2-way is probably ten feet so it sounds better while actually being in the room with them!

The JubeScala is also a 100% Klipsch system that has been engineered & tested in their lab so you are still listening to a Klipsch speaker!!

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

[:D]

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all who took time to respond to my post.

My MID drivers are BMS 4592NDs and they will be mounted on Greg's Fc260 horns and although the BMS has its own tweeter, I will be utilizing Bill Martinelli 800Hz tweeter horns (with three hole mounting) and would like to get your advice on the optimal 1" HF drivers. the crossover will be the A/4500s I got from member here.

After reading previous threads on adding the 4" ported bass bin space for the La Scalas, I had an idea of turning the cabinet upside down, removing the tweeter and squawker, cut open the section between the bass bin and the top hat (it was already marked with pilot holes and lines from the factory but it will be bare to put a saw in the space...), seal the back, cut holes for the ports and set the Fc260 and tweeter horns on top (was the bottom...)

Thanks,

Ki

Guest David H

Some routers will fit.

Yes, they will, I used a 1.5hp Dewalt with a flush cut bit, worked perfectly.

I really like the sound of the ported Lascala.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

I will go to the Home Depot tonight and look for one that will let me squeeze it into the tophat space to cut out the opening to the bass bin.

Ki

Some routers will fit.

Yes, they will, I used a 1.5hp Dewalt with a flush cut bit, worked perfectly.

I really like the sound of the ported Lascala.

Dave

You might have access to a jig-saw that would work too.

I have a 35 year old Craftsman 5/8H router with a 1/4" collet, it's very small. I use a two-flute panel cutter that has a built-in bearing and starts its own hole.

"What are the crossover points and slopes for Klipsch Type AL crossovers in my LaScalas?"

It's not that simple.

You have the electrical response of the network, plus the acoustical response of the drivers, the sum of which defines the transfer function.

Type%20AL.jpg

The type AL was the least favored network for the LaScala.

Type%20AL-3.jpg

The AL3 was a better network.

Thanks for the schematics.

Currently, I have the stock AL crossover and A/4500 I bought from a member here.

Although BMS 4592NDs I have have both mid and HF drivers and have 6.3Khz simple BMS crossover for 4592ND.

The 2" Fc260 horns are from Greg.

Choice HF drivers I have on hand are Beyma CP25s with recommended Xover point of 5Khz< and JBL 2404H with

recommended Xover point of 3Khz<.

If built in BMS HF drivers are not to my liking, I plan to use Martinelli 800Hz horns with BMS 4550 1" HF drivers.

It seems I need different crossovers before I start experimenting with which HF drivers I like better...

Thanks,

Ki