Just ordered a Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Youthman

• Moderators

Yes, I've enjoyed the AVR55, AVR60, AVR70, AVR80 and 430that I have owned. All of my HK's were much older and pre-hdmi. I'm just hoping their newer stuff is as good as the older gear.

Spoke to seller, it shipped out this morning. Should be here by next Tuesday. [:D]

I'm looking forward to hearing something new, but hopefully familiar sound. I've never had a chance to hear how they sound for HT with the HD Audio formats. Looking forward to it. Now I'm like a kid getting ready for Christmas.......waiting....waiting....[:D]

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if I like the 3600 over the UMC-1, I will need to buy something that will allow me to "trigger" the amp when the receiver powers up.

You've probably done the research already, but this works well. I have used it to switch on an external amp with an HK 730. The lights are VERY bright but one can place it out of sight.

Back on topic, I'm also looking forward to your comparison. Before my UMC-1 I really enjoyed an HK AVR525 for about 7 years.

Knorbu and River, I do not believe the Emotiva ET-3 will work for my situation because there is not a trigger out on the 3600 to feed into the ET-3....or am I missing something?

Youth, it can work as it is also is like a wall wart meaning it can also be triggered using the switched outlet on the back of the HK.

So you can use

a basic wall wart

or use a ET-3

or use a Belkin PF-60 power conditioner (which I recommend for it's many other benefits as well)

Each of these feature a 120v trigger which you plug into your switched 120v outlet (on back of the HK) that then outputs a 12v trigger to use for your amp.

Both the ET-3 and Belkin PF-60 have built in wall wart capability and have special 120v trigger inputs designed for this.

• Moderators

I gotcha. I was thinking you had to have an "input" connected for it to send an output signal, not just power on.

While I'm waiting for the 3600 arrive, I looked up the newer model 3700 to see if it had trigger and it does...but I also noticed it was a measely 17lbs. I thought it was a typo so I looked at the owners manual and it says that too. How do they go from 44lbs to 17lbs and increase from 85 w/ch to 110 w/ch? They must be making some sacrifices somewhere right?

^ yep, plug it directly into the back of the receiver.River is right about the lights being bright ,however it's nothing a strip of electrical tape won't cover.

Rich Guy, when I was looking for a solution to turning my amps on with a trigger,I looked up wall warts and couldn't find any products. Is there a technical name for those to use in a search?

Mark

I gotcha. I was thinking you had to have an "input" connected for it to send an output signal, not just power on.

Actually the ET-3 and PF-60 have a special input for this, it's not just a power ON.

But the 12v triggers work by using either normal 12v trigger inputs or special 120v trigger inputs.

Rich Guy, when I was looking for a solution to turning my amps on with a trigger,I looked up wall warts and couldn't find any products. Is there a technical name for those to use in a search?

There probably is a more technical name, but they are commonly called wall warts or power packs. It is just a 120v to 12v converter but the important part in using one as an amp trigger is getting the 12v end to have a 1/8" (3.5mm) plug. The most common wall warts you find on electrical devices all over your home which use wall warts use a different type of 12v cable end. You can buy wall warts with the correct cable ends or often universal cable ends online or from Radio Shack usually about $20-$30.

What a basic wall wart looks like, 120v power pack with a 12v cable but most don't have the proper 1/8" (3.5mm) plug on the end, you need to find one which does.

Posted Image

• Moderators

Is it Tuesday yet ? [:@]

Well you have a few day left, pick out a few things you are already are familiar with and listen a few more times before the change, can't hurt, if nothing else it will take your mind off of the date. [:P]

Thanks, that helps seeing one. I went to Radio Shack when I was looking and the guy I talked to just gave me a blank stare when I asked him.

I don't think it would have fit on the back of the 354 without routing a bunch of cables over and under it. But it's good to know for future stuff.

Mark

• Moderators

Thanks, that helps seeing one. I went to Radio Shack when I was looking and the guy I talked to just gave me a blank stare when I asked him.

Radio shack is not what it used to be, before it was a good place to buy parts and pieces to work on things, today they sell a couple of wires, phones and some junk and very little else. I think the requirement to work there is the ability to sell phones and phone service contracts.

My amp is about 10 years old so the 12v trigger isn't even a 3.5mm plug but a positive and negative terminal. So regardless of what I get, I'll have to cut the tip, strip and use bare wire.

This makes it easy for you to use almost any old unused wall wart you might have from some old electronic device . Read what the wall wart outputs to be sure it is in a compatible range, 12v triggers will work with a very wide range so almost all will work, the wall wart should have its output written on it.

I don't think it would have fit on the back of the 354 without routing a bunch of cables over and under it. But it's good to know for future stuff.

Mark

With the PF-60 power conditioner for the 120v trigger you would only be plugging in a standard sized 2 prong plug in, not the bulky wall wart, so the fit is much nicer. Note this is a special cord used just for the 120v trigger and not the PF-60's main power cable.

I am not sure about the ET-3 it may be similar to a bulky wall wart sized plug, maybe not I haven't seen exactly what it uses.

While I'm waiting for the 3600 arrive, I looked up the newer model 3700 to see if it had trigger and it does...but I also noticed it was a measely 17lbs. I thought it was a typo so I looked at the owners manual and it says that too. How do they go from 44lbs to 17lbs and increase from 85 w/ch to 110 w/ch? They must be making some sacrifices somewhere right?

I used to think that way too until I got this QSC PLX amp, it only weighs 20lbs or so and it puts out 425 watts a channel. I don't know how these pro amps are doing it but the residential market needs to pay attention. I hate moving my Emotiva amps!

I used to think that way too until I got this QSC PLX amp, it only weighs 20lbs or so and it puts out 425 watts a channel. I don't know how these pro amps are doing it but the residential market needs to pay attention. I hate moving my Emotiva amps!

That's funny, since I think I read on AVS that HK is borrowing their new amp designs from Crown. Hence the higher power and lower weight. The HK's supposedly sound pretty damn nice...

Seriously I think a lot of the weight is from heavy heat sinks to get rid of heat. I think many pro amps use fans which make things much lighter but can add noise especially in a smaller room home type environment. I see some of the new budget Emotiva line have fans now instead of larger heat sinks, fans are cheaper to produce than large heat sinks.

• Moderators

If that's the case, we won't be able to do the lift test to help determine how good the unit is. LOL

Honestly, if they can make a powerful amp much lighter, I'm all for it. It was a royal pain moving around my 85lb parasound amp. It's a beast. I'm just glad it has handles on the front of it. [:D]

Is it Tuesday yet dtel? [:P]