The thx ultra 2 incredible.

MichaelandKlipsch

Ok wanted to give my first impression/review of the THX Ultra 2 setup in my room.

Side note (Youthman what we spoke about over the phone my goodness you were correct if I could remove my statement about not being impressed with the 2 channel music listening I would!)

So I wont use any words like these are 100% better than the 83 set up or anything like upgrade over my Reference setup as I equally loved that setup just for slightly different reasons.

Also I only have this setup on 5.4 as of yet my last 2 KS-525 Dipole surround backs arent in yet and may be another week before I can install them.

To start off the sound is very different in comparison to the RF-83s RC-64, RS-62 setup. One of the first things I noticed was before I ran room calibrations with the New Anthem Amp new THX speaks and all of the room treatments I have installed was that these were slightly more power hungry than the 83s. Not drastically so as they are still a more sensitive speaker than most @ 97db but once I ran room calibrations and went in and tweaked everything just a touch I was ready to be WOWed. They certainly didnt disappoint. The visceral car chase scene in Wanted, the older special effects sounds from the original star wars trilogy, some of the low bottom low sounds from the lord of the rings trilogy and I also popped in the Dark Knight Rises for some deep guttural bass. My god these things dont care what you throw at them or how loud you enjoy to listen to movies. I had my listening session last night at about -10 db to -8db so not quite reference and the room calibration had them all set to around -4.5 etc. but one thing I noticed over my reference speakers is that the detail at high volumes was astonishing. They sounded just as good @ -8db as they did at -25db. They also have a big sound to them. I have read this before in several reviews and they were correct. The speakers create a very big sound very cinema like and in your face. The Mids. and Lows were more noticeable as well but this may be due to all the headroom created by switching to a separate amplifier. I felt like I was sitting in a huge theater at the Regal etc. The bass of course has always been phenomenal. but I have had all 4 THX subs for quite some time so I knew how they would be. Having them positioned in the correct spot for my room front and center about 4 inches from each other almost one in front of each theater seat made my Sweet spot for Bass widespread across the listening area. No matter what seat I sat in I felt and heard what the subs had to offer. The THX subs seriously deserve a review themselves lol. So far out of every speaker I have heard for home theater these have me feeling the closest to a movie theater/Imax presentation and the clarity and force from this setup has me simply astonished. I am extremely happy with my move to the THX ultra 2 line but will always love my Reference setup from before. One last note Id like to say is I would like to tip the margin slightly to the reference/83s I had for being more versatile and handling music a little better. The music is ok on the THX line but sounded warmer and more inviting on the 83s. The music soundtracks from the blu-rays such as Lord of the rings and Star wars did sound more accurate and theater like on the THX speakers but for 2 channel listening the 83s win my vote. Now to add the last 2 KS-525s and enjoy till the upgrade bug bites again and I add the A2 Anthem Amp.

Ill be picking up a pair of RF-7iis in the future to complete the music listening and for a nice pair of floor standers downstairs.

I was ready to be WOWed. They certainly didn’t disappoint.

I was ready to be WOWed. They certainly didn’t disappoint.

It is a pleasure to hear that the hard work getting the THX system up and running has paid off. That is a beautiful system, enjoy. It is funny to re-watch some of your favorite movies and discover new sounds.[<:o)]

• Moderators

The music soundtracks from the blu-rays such as Lord of the rings and Star wars did sound more accurate and theater like on the THX speakers but for 2 channel listening the 83s win my vote

You need to try a DVD concert video or Blu-ray concert, in multi channel, Br concerts is harder to find.

That should be a big surprise with music, if you don't have any ask about the kinds of music you would like and everyone could give you ideas of the better ones..................if you don't have some already ?

Glad your liking the sound, you did a really nice job there is no reason it should sound any other way. [Y]

Just a follow up. I have done some serious listening in the last 2 days. Took off yesterday via a sick day. I just cant understand how these THX ultras sound so huge. The 83s were wonderful but these KL-650s are half the size and they sound gigantic. I watched a few clips from saving private Ryan, then I wanted a heavy effects scene to see how pans and transitions would be handled with this setup and popped in the first Transformers on blu-ray and watched the last 20 minute scene. Needles too say Im really happy with the decision. I miss the music I got from my 83s but I primarily in the theater room watch blu-rays 90% of the time. Im just totally blown away by the discrete details heard with this and the Anthem. Just ordered some real Brown Velvet Theater rope Railing and Brass Scone lighting for the hallways up to the theater. Going to do some last minute Cosmetic changes Sunday and next week the last 2 speakers arrive so surround backs here I come.