Skype help needed.

CECAA850

I wanted to set up my PC (Windows XP) with Skype so my wife could visit with my daughter who's moved out of town. I ordered and received a camera from Monoprice and installed Skype. I can see and hear my daughter and she can hear and see me. The problem I'm having (and can't figure out obviously) is that the image I should see of myself while I'm talking is black. I'm referring to the small box in the lower right hand side of the screen. When I go to the video section of tools, it's black there also. If I try to adjust anything, it says windows has encountered a problem and shuts off. I've googled and checked Skype help but haven't seen this particular issue reported. I don't see anywhere to turn this function on or off either.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Carl

Carl,

Hope you get it going to your satisfaction. My wife and I have enjoyed skype to no end visiting with our daughter and grandchildren. Very cool that you are getting it set up for your wife.

Latest iteration is my daughter having skype set up on her iphone. That is really convenient for skyping.

Carl, Do you have the latest video drivers installed? Sounds like an opengl problem.

OK, Craig, you may be on to something as this is definitely not a new computer. How exactly would I find out what type (brand?) drivers I have?

Skype is a great tool, can even play games together or transfer files while you chat. Used it for a few years until the house went apple and now we run facetime but its the same idea less the file transfer and games. Bummer on the issue. Sometimes reloading the software helps. I had an auto rotate issue on my tablet pc for a while when using it until I did a fresh reload of windows. Hopefully u get the bugs worked out, then you can hook it to your tv and the entire family can enjoy

Grab this: http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Run it to find out what video card you have (eg ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series)

Go to the apropriate website ATI= http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

NVIDIA= http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Download and install the driver which is apropriate for your video card. If all else fails, open the case and look to see what specific video card you have. Then you can go to the manufacturer website and download theirs.

Be sure to create a "Restore Point" with Windows before doing the install, in case the driver does not work properly so you can roll back the install.