The Life and Times of my Oppo BDP-105

Mongo171

What 5 channel amp are you using? Would you use the same amp with the XMC-1.

I'm using an ATI AT1505 5X150. I would use the same amp with the XMC-1. Well, it's going to be some time before my name is called for an available XMC-1. I see that people have been signing up for them since the beginning of last year. I will see how I like my setup without a Pre/Pro.

Well, here we go. My 105 finally arrived from its trip from Mountain View, CA. The was in perfect shape. Guess that's why people recommend FedEx.

It was packed well and no damage. I let it settle to room temp while I hooked everything up.

The sound was the first thing I noticed. It is AWESOME! I still need to do setup on the audio and video. One blaring thing is that my system doesn't go to China. I want it to dig deep so I can go to China! Note to self: Self, you need a better sub!

Then I realized that no video was coming through. In my excitement, I hooked up the HDMI cable to the input on the back! I switched that out and got video. It doesn't look as good as the HDMI coming from my cable box. I guess the break-in will take of that, I hope.

post-57579-13819830923552_thumb.jpg

Congrats Mongo. Looks real nice.

Your ATI amp is a beast of an amp. I can see why you would want to keep it. Last year I had my Oppo 93 hooked directly to my Parasound multi amp at 80wpc. Speakers were Cornwalls front and back. It sounded great with music. My main need. HT was pretty good too. My problem was the 93 was my only source. I needed 3 more HDMI inputs. Eventually bought Anthem MRX-500 HT receiver. Wonderful receiver. Still had the stereo sound I needed. HT was even better. ARC calibration software with calibrated mic. If the 105 had been available, I would have bought it. Almost the same price as 105.

I think the 105 hooked directly to the ATI would be a killer combo. Get yourself another pair of Chorus' for the rear. Try it out for a while. You might change your mind on the XMC-1 and save yourself some money.

Enjoy that killer setup.

Congrats Mongo. Looks real nice.

Your ATI amp is a beast of an amp. I can see why you would want to keep it. Last year I had my Oppo 93 hooked directly to my Parasound multi amp at 80wpc. Speakers were Cornwalls front and back. It sounded great with music. My main need. HT was pretty good too. My problem was the 93 was my only source. I needed 3 more HDMI inputs. Eventually bought Anthem MRX-500 HT receiver. Wonderful receiver. Still had the stereo sound I needed. HT was even better. ARC calibration software with calibrated mic. If the 105 had been available, I would have bought it. Almost the same price as 105.

I think the 105 hooked directly to the ATI would be a killer combo. Get yourself another pair of Chorus' for the rear. Try it out for a while. You might change your mind on the XMC-1 and save yourself some money.

Enjoy that killer setup.

Thnx, iwander. My amp is a beast. Weighs over 90lbs! I think I will have enough HDMI inputs to accomplish what I need. All I need to do is get another cable and run it from the cable box to the 105. I'm even thinking of getting rid of my tuner, since I will have Pandora streaming. That's probably the only bummer about the 105...no room correction. But, then again, it is "just" a Blu-ray player.

Haven't had the setup jamming, yet. Will probably do that tomorrow once I get the audio dialed in. I would get another set of Chorus II's, but I just don't have room for them. I'm thinking either KG series bookshelves or a dipole speaker from another series. Time will tell on the XMC-1. Right now, I see no need for it. Have my eye on an SVS PC-13 Ultra!

It doesn't look as good as the HDMI coming from my cable box. I guess the break-in will take of that, I hope.

Nice Mongo! You're gonna love it. Make sure you use HDMI 1 out as it has the Qdeo processor.

The HDMI 1 output is driven by the Qdeo video processor while the HDMI 2
output is direct from the main SoC. The
main SoC performs video decoding, de-interlacing, scaling and 2D-to-3D
conversion, and the Qdeo video processor can perform further enhancements such
as noise reduction, contrast and color enhancements.

Have you tried hooking up your cable box's hdmi out to the 105's hdmi in? When you get it burnt in (I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone needing to do this for better video), it might even get your cable better quality. I forget who it was, but a member recently posted screen shots of the oppo vs ps3 playing blu-ray and i was actually very surprised at the difference in video quality. It's what sold me on eventually having to get one.

Have you tried hooking up your cable box's hdmi out to the 105's hdmi in? When you get it burnt in (I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone needing to do this for better video), it might even get your cable better quality. I forget who it was, but a member recently posted screen shots of the oppo vs ps3 playing blu-ray and i was actually very surprised at the difference in video quality. It's what sold me on eventually having to get one.

I am going to hookup my cable box's HDMI out to the 105 once I get another Redmere cable from Monoprice. I heard of the burn-in from the AVS thread on the 105. They never really talked about which it was needed for; audio or video. Audio sounds fine now. I'm going to lower the xo point to 40Hz tomorrow and see if can get more bass from my mains. My sub isn't really doing much...only goes down to 35Hz. I think the comparison was done by reference_head or ivanhurd.

Nice! You are giving me Oppo envy!

It really is a nice player. It has so many options, it's rediculous! Try to find a dealer or another Forum memeber with one and get a demonstration. Either the 103 or the 105 is quite worth the money and the hype!

My 105 has been running continuously for over a day. I can honestly say that the video is markedly better. I guess the "burn-in" period is correct on this. I will let it play for another 2 days and then set it up. That way I will get the best results.

After 2 days of burn-in, I started futzing with my 105. First thing I did was get the wireless internet working. I listen to Pandora all the time when I am on the computer. It was a trip to hear it on my setup through my C II's! So much better sounding. I know some don't like Pandora because of the sound. I guess my ears aren't as sharp. [;)] Going through the Setup Menu, I noticed the ''Upgrade Firmware" option. For the heck of it, I selected it. Sure enough, my 105 was running on an older firmware vesion. The word I had heard was the 105 was being shipped with the latest firmware version. Guess this isn't the case. I'm going to suggest to Oppo that they include the firmware date on the screen along with the firmware version.

Next thing I did was to fart around with the speaker settings. I disconnected my sub from the 105 and turned it off in the Audio Settings. Set my mains to Large, center to Small... got my bass back. Now, I have a sub that I need to get rid of that only goes down to 35Hz. Oy! Later this summer, I will probably be getting the SVS PC-13 Ultra. It will be quite a step up. Until then, I will only run a 3.0 system. Just need to figure out which surrounds to get. They will be my next purchase.

This is for all of the 105 owners:

I have been reading the AVS thread on the 105. I started on Page 1 and got to Page 15. I quit after that with over 120 pages to go. The one question I do have is did they ever fix the lip sync problem? Last I read was that the 105 (and maybe the 103) had a 75ms delay in the audio versus the video. Was just wondering if they put out a firmware update for that.

No, firmware update helped. Another ffirmware update to address Lipsync is due out week after next.

Got a tip off AVS replaced 6' HDMI cord with Radio Shack HDMI cord problem solved for last hour multiple channels.

Got a tip off AVS replaced 6' HDMI cord with Radio Shack HDMI cord problem solved for last hour multiple channels.

Thnx, BE36.

I didn't use the provided 6' HDMI cable. I will be running 15' HDMI's from Monoprice with the Redmere in it. Guess I will just throw away the 6' cable.

Scott

This is for all of the 105 owners:

I have been reading the AVS thread on the 105. I started on Page 1 and got to Page 15. I quit after that with over 120 pages to go. The one question I do have is did they ever fix the lip sync problem? Last I read was that the 105 (and maybe the 103) had a 75ms delay in the audio versus the video. Was just wondering if they put out a firmware update for that.

No, firmware update helped. Another ffirmware update to address Lipsync is due out week after next.

Only worked for a couple of hours after a hard reset . . . Lip sync still off just not as much.

• Like 1