The Life and Times of my Oppo BDP-105

Mongo171

I'm reading the User Manual. I guess I won't be using optical for audio to my Pre/Pro.

That's one of the reasons why I asked about the Sony earlier in the thread. One thing usually leads to another......and another....... [:)]

I'm reading the User Manual. I guess I won't be using optical for audio to my Pre/Pro.

That's one of the reasons why I asked about the Sony earlier in the thread. One thing usually leads to another......and another....... Smile

I know I need to upgrade my Sony real bad. But, I have to make due until the XMC-1 comes out. I will end up using the optical, anyway. With down mixing to get stereo, I lose the center channel. I will get only reduced resolution Dolby decoding through the optical.

You could also use the OPPO as your processor in the interim and connect directly to your amp.

Perfect for a single source/single purpose setup like a home movie theater.

Bill

That might not be a bad idea. I will have to check that out.

optical to the Pre/Pro

NOTE
x
Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby
TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent through the
coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the same audio track
will be output instead. To listen to high resolution audio formats in their best quality, please
use the HDMI connection if you have a receiver that handles HDMI audio (see page 11) or
use the multi-channel analog outputs if you do not (see page 18).
x
Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical
digital audio output. To listen to SACDs, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.
x
Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, full resolution audio from DVD-Audio
discs cannot be sent through the coaxial or
optical digital audio output. To listen to DVD-
Audio in full resolution, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections

I haven't gone to see the cost difference between the BDP 103 and 105 but SACDs/DVD-As have never been decoded through the optical/coaxial connections and with the advent of HDMI and processors that connect that way, I can't imagine folks preferring having their player decode any of this material unless there is a substantial difference. Are there any of you that have HDMI connections on your AVR or Processor and are still using the analog connections?

Are there any of you that have HDMI connections on your AVR or Processor and are still using the analog connections?

I don't have HDMI on my Pre/Pro. I will be using my 105 connected directly to my amp and using the DAC's from the 105. It will be used this way until the XMC-1 comes out.

Are there any of you that have HDMI connections on your AVR or Processor and are still using the analog connections?

I don't have HDMI on my Pre/Pro. I will be using my 105 connected directly to my amp and using the DAC's from the 105. It will be used this way until the XMC-1 comes out.

I guess my point is that when you upgrade your processor and use the HDMI connections then the BDP-105 won't be doing the audio and purchasing the BDP-103 would give you $700 more towards the price of the XMC-1 with the same results.

I guess my point is that when you upgrade your processor and use the HDMI connections then the BDP-105 won't be doing the audio and purchasing the BDP-103 would give you $700 more towards the price of the XMC-1 with the same results.

That's true and a valid point.

I'm using both the analog and the HDMI features. My HTPC is connected via USB to the OPPO's USB DAC for all of my music listening. Im also connected with the balanced XLR stereo outs and the MC analog outs of the OPPO. This allows me to toggle between stereo and MC depending on the source material I'm listening to and take advantage of the DAC's of the OPPO. (The main cost difference)

All bluray playback is handled thru HDMI to my processor as I like how that's handled with Audyssey and for bass management with the Onkyo. YMMV

That's true and a valid point.

I'm using both the analog and the HDMI features. My HTPC is connected via USB to the OPPO's USB DAC for all of my music listening. Im also connected with the balanced XLR stereo outs and the MC analog outs of the OPPO. This allows me to toggle between stereo and MC depending on the source material I'm listening to and take advantage of the DAC's of the OPPO. (The main cost difference)

All bluray playback is handled thru HDMI to my processor as I like how that's handled with Audyssey and for bass management with the Onkyo. YMMV

My master plan is to use HDMI audio and video for HT and use analog for 2 ch listening. Since I don't have a Pre/Pro with HDMI inputs, I will connect the 105 directly to my amp until the XMC-1 comes out.

You could potentially use a y-splitter and connect the 7.1 analog out on the 105 to the amp as well as the pre-outs from the XMC-1. Would be helpful to a lot of people if we had an idea of the differences in sound quality. I'm on the fence on the 105 because I am not sure how good the DACs in the XMC are going to be. If they are comparable, I am obviously going to use the XMC for all the rest of the features as well. If not, I'd probably end up getting a stereo pre-amp with HT pass-thru to get the best of both worlds.

You could potentially use a y-splitter and connect the 7.1 analog out on the 105 to the amp as well as the pre-outs from the XMC-1. Would be helpful to a lot of people if we had an idea of the differences in sound quality. I'm on the fence on the 105 because I am not sure how good the DACs in the XMC are going to be. If they are comparable, I am obviously going to use the XMC for all the rest of the features as well. If not, I'd probably end up getting a stereo pre-amp with HT pass-thru to get the best of both worlds.

That's the great unknown right now. No one really knows just how good the XMC-1 will be. I would like to at least get a pic of the rear of the XMC-1.

I would hook the 105 directly to a multi channel amp. 7.1 analog out. Save the money on the XMC and use it towards a multi channel amp. The 105 has volume control as well as multiple inputs. I've been thinking about using the 105 as the pre-pro hooked up to my Parasound 5 channel amp. I did it using my Oppo 93 and it worked great. 93 doesn't have multiple inputs so can't use as pre-pro. If my 93 was the only source, I would have done it. Use SPL meter to calibrate speakers.

I would hook the 105 directly to a multi channel amp. 7.1 analog out. Save the money on the XMC and use it towards a multi channel amp. The 105 has volume control as well as multiple inputs. I've been thinking about using the 105 as the pre-pro hooked up to my Parasound 5 channel amp. I did it using my Oppo 93 and it worked great. 93 doesn't have multiple inputs so can't use as pre-pro. If my 93 was the only source, I would have done it. Use SPL meter to calibrate speakers.

I already have a 5 ch amp. Only running a 3.1 setup right now. Need to get me some surround speakers. My Pre/Pro is outdated...doesn't have HDMI connections. I will be getting the XMC-1, if it ever comes to market. The 105 can be used as a Pre/Pro. However, it is limited on inputs. I will be getting an SPL meter to calibrate my speakers. So I have a Sony TA-E9000ES for sale. Won't put it in the Garage Sale section as not to step on the other guy's toes. Will be putting it on eBay.

Edit: My 105 went by me and is in Syracuse, NY! [:S]

Edit: My 105 went by me and is in Syracuse, NY! Tongue Tied

Ha, I'd of thrown a spike chain in front of the truck.

Son of a biscuit! Or drop it off on the way by. I guess they did hold up their promise of delivering today. It is on a truck, doing its rounds, heading to my house today! [:P]

Already pulled my Pre/Pro from my rack and ran the HDMI cable from the TV. Just need to hook everything up, run the power cord and watch a Blu-ray!

Since you already have a 5 channel amp, I would work on the rear speakers for 5.1 setup. Try that setup and see if you like it before spending money on a new pre-pro. It will allow the stereo setup you want for music and HT as well. SACD's will play just fine. The 105 will play the source as intended. What 5 channel amp are you using? Would you use the same amp with the XMC-1. Something to try out before getting the XMC-1.