The Life and Times of my Oppo BDP-105

Mongo171

This is for all of the 105 owners:

I have been reading the AVS thread on the 105. I started on Page 1 and got to Page 15. I quit after that with over 120 pages to go. The one question I do have is did they ever fix the lip sync problem? Last I read was that the 105 (and maybe the 103) had a 75ms delay in the audio versus the video. Was just wondering if they put out a firmware update for that.

No, firmware update helped. Another ffirmware update to address Lipsync is due out week after next.

Got a tip off AVS replaced 6' HDMI cord with Radio Shack HDMI cord problem solved for last hour multiple channels.

Only worked for a couple of hours after a hard reset . . . Lip sync still off just not as much.

Well, that ain't right. I wonder if Oppo knows their HDMI cables are bad. What type of discs have the lip sync problem...DVD's or Blu-rays? I haven't experienced any lip sync issues with my setup. Still need to run some DVD's through it.

Lip sync issues are very common and normally not caused by a bad cable. Many receivers and pre-pro's have adjustable delays to correct lip sync issues. I think mine has 2 or 3 different settings (millisecond delay times).

EDIT, I just read the prev page where you got it to change with a cable. You still may have a setting in your receiver to address it.

Lip sync issues are very common and normally not caused by a bad cable. Many receivers and pre-pro's have adjustable delays to correct lip sync issues. I think mine has 2 or 3 different settings (millisecond delay times).

EDIT, I just read the prev page where you got it to change with a cable. You still may have a setting in your receiver to address it.

I'm going to check the settings and see if there is an adjustment. I contacted Oppo and they said a firmware update is coming by the end of the month. From what I read on the AVS Forums, it's about 75ms of delay.

Firmware update for lipsync? I have not had that issue for years. It is possible the prepro/avr could correct. I thought oppo was the end all for dvd players ? I would think beta testing would have solved that long ago? Eh...just thinking out loud, I'm sure they'll fix er up, for sure next generation.

It is possible the prepro/avr could correct.

I'm running the 105 directly to my amp. The delay is caused by the Oppo. They have known about the problem since last November. My only problem is with the cable box to the 105. All of the formats I have tried in the player are fine.

I see, is there a reason for no prepro or you just want the shortest path? Sorry if I may have missed it in an earlier post.

The PrePro I had before had no HDMI on it. It was about 14 years old. I never had a Blu-ray player, so I got the Oppo 105. I read on the AVS Forums that it can be used without a Preamp. So, I just hooked it up straight to my amp. It has various inputs and quite a robust audio/video section. Specially, the analog audio.

So you're using the analog outs? From what I've read, if all you use is digital out, it's identical to the 103 as far as performance is concerned, no??

Yes, I am using the analog outs. That is what separates the 105 from the 103. Digital circuitry is the same for both players.

So you're using the analog outs? From what I've read, if all you use is digital out, it's identical to the 103 as far as performance is concerned, no??

Yes, I am using the analog outs. That is what separates the 105 from the 103. Digital circuitry is the same for both players.

That's odd then. Normally lip sync issues are in the digital realm (typically).

That's odd then. Normally lip sync issues are in the digital realm (typically).

The HDMI from the cable box to the 105 is digital. That's where the lag is. The sound goes through the DAC's and out to the analog outputs.

Mongo,

Sorry to hear about the lipsync issues. Are you using HDMI 1.4 cables? Is your TV ARC capable (audio return channel). When my Oppo 93 was hooked directly to the multi-channel amp, I connected 1.4 HDMI cable from hdmi output 1 to main hdmi input on the tv. I believed I had to activate ARC on the TV. It sent the audio from the tv to the oppo and was coming out the 5.1 setup. I did not remember a lipsync delay. I did have to set the cable both to output Dolby Surrorund. On the 93, there isn't any hdmi inputs. The tv was set to the cable box for video display and audio was sent to the oppo through the 1.4 hdmi cable using ARC.

I'm hoping this might be something to look into.

Good luck.

Hi iwander,

It doesn't say if the Redmere HDMI cables 1.4 or not. My TV is old. I'm about to get a new Panny Plasma. That might have ARC on it. The next firmware update for the 105 is due out next week. Either that will fix the lipsync problem or my new TV will have ARC on it. Thnx for the advice. I will look into it.

Scott

If the Redmere's are 3d capable, you should be good to go. We have a 3d Panny Plasma. Best 2d picture quality is found on a 3d screen. The Panny should have ARC on it.

Good luck.

The Redmeres are 3D capable. I'm getting the TC-P60GT50.

The Panny looks nice. You'll probably have to adjust the video settings. It come set too bright for plasma. We settled on the THX setting. I got the AVIA calibration disc but have never used it. THX is very good default setting. We've tweaked it many times when we first got the TV but always went back to THX. Make sure there is room to breathe around the TV. It does get hot.