The Life and Times of my Oppo BDP-105

Mongo171

The Panny looks nice. You'll probably have to adjust the video settings. It come set too bright for plasma. We settled on the THX setting. I got the AVIA calibration disc but have never used it. THX is very good default setting. We've tweaked it many times when we first got the TV but always went back to THX. Make sure there is room to breathe around the TV. It does get hot.

I'm sure I'll be tweaking it for days. The problem I found out today (I bought the 60" today!) is the lack of options for a TV stand for it and my Academy. The salesman took me into the Home Theater room to show me different center channels. [8-)] I told him I'm not getting rid of my Academy. That's good to know about the THX video setting. My old 50" gets quite warm. There is plenty of room for it to breathe.

It may not be the same, but for my xbox and dvd players, the netflix app has all the alphanumeric characters in a bar at the top and you just push the right and left and enter buttons to select the letters to spell out the name of what you are looking for. Every time you hit a new letter, the search results refresh so you don't have to type in the entire name as soon as you see your desired selection.

How does the Oppo work when using Netflix? How do you browse for movies with a remote in your hand? I've been using our laptop w/HDMI out and typing in what I'm looking for.

The remote controls all functions of whichever program you select. There is also a dedicated Netflix button (and Vudu) that takes you right to that function. There is a search within each program controlled by the OPPO remote.......hope that helps.

Question Mongo (and others who have the 103 or 105):

How does the Oppo work when using Netflix? How do you browse for movies with a remote in your hand? I've been using our laptop w/HDMI out and typing in what I'm looking for.

You can either use the laptop with HDMI Out or use a USB keyboard. With Pandora, a keyboard appears on-screen that you can use to type with. Not so with Netflix.

I was surfing around Youtube and Netflix thru the OPPO early this morning. I tried a mini keyboard with a wireless usb dongle I had laying around and it works perfectly. You can search as well as navigate in the OPPO apps. with the keyboard.

I was surfing around Youtube and Netflix thru the OPPO early this morning. I tried a mini keyboard with a wireless usb dongle I had laying around and it works perfectly. You can search as well as navigate in the OPPO apps. with the keyboard.

Thanks Tasdom. Good to know another way to browse with the Oppo. Gotta love it when stuff is compatible and just works. [H]

The guy looked at me as if I was speaking Klingon. He shook his head in disbelief as if he heard something that was just impossible. He muttered under his breath that he had never heard of something so outrageous. Finally, he took me to the section of the store that held the object of my question. This was my experience at Best Buy when I asked the salesdude if he had a keyboard for my Blu-ray player. I had to be more specific with my question. I wanted a wireless keyboard with a dongle. I picked up a Logitech wireless keyboard with their new Unify Technology. I have a couple of their mouses with this and they came with the same cute little dongle. I plugged it into my 105 and it was ready to go. Sorry for the long story. I know it isn't up to par as my water heater story. Just another day in the life of my 105.

I have a couple of their mouses with this and they came with the same cute little dongle.

Careful, this is a family forum. Embarrassed

Sorry if I offended anyone with the word "dongle." [:o] However, it did pass the filter. So, I guess it's OK? [H]

The next firmware update for the 105 is due out next week. Either that will fix the lipsync problem or my new TV will have ARC on it.

In case you didn't notice, the public "beta" version has been released (extensive list of updates)

Install at your own risk!.........I'll wait for the official release since I haven't experienced any issues....(^^^ knocks on wood)

The next firmware update for the 105 is due out next week. Either that will fix the lipsync problem or my new TV will have ARC on it.

In case you didn't notice, the public "beta" version has been released (extensive list of updates)

Install at your own risk!.........I'll wait for the official release since I haven't experienced any issues....(^^^ knocks on wood)

I installed it. Now, when watching TV through the 105, my audio is spot-on. -80ms seemed to work fine. [<:o)] BUT, my video looks like it is in claymation-mode...very stop-actionish. [:(] Before the update, the video was very smooth. I won't know for sure if there are any real problems with it until I get my new TV this weekend. I am hoping the new TV will take care of everything. Good thing you aren't having any problems.