Ported Or Sealed

jtubbs6117

Guys I am looking to buy a new sub this year. I am looking at a svs SB13 the sealed version of the PBULTRA13. I am just look for people's point of view on what type of box makes you happy. I have owned a lot of Paradigm stuff as far as subs PS1000 ported but a value sub, PW2200 was a ported box but sounded great. Right now I am using 2 servo 15's seal box. So I have used both types but not at the same time. Just thought I would ask what people liked the plus and minus of each. Gentlemen thank you for your time.

Mr. Tubbs,

I was about to answer your question from email but now from here.

I have owned a total of 8 subs(3 ported, 2 with passive woofers, 3 sealed). My preference for music has been sealed and active/passive types. If you are truly undecided, get the Ultra 13 and demo it with ports plugged and open. It would be the best of both worlds, IMO.

How are your dual Servo 15'a holding up? When I had my pair, they really charged the room and were fantastic for music and movies.

Bill

Mr land I love the servo's and I think that is the only reason why I am still holding on to them. I am sure if I had a pair of V2's there would be no need to upgrade. But the V1 only having 250 watt amp and the limited linear travel of that driver design has me itching for something new. I know we have talked about this before and I emailed my house plan to svs and they told me one ultra would have no problem. My only concern with the ultra is the depth of the box making room to have the correct port length makes this enclosure more like a rectangle than a square, hence may stick out further than the servos.

Having the two servo’s has really spoiled me, I like the way I can run them with the gains down (or half way up and the level on the AVR in the middle so everything has run to move nothing is maxed out) and still get good output without stressing the drivers. I would really like to do this with my next purchase use two of the exact same sub. But the two subs will have to be spread out, one this year and one next year.

I agree with a few of the members here. From my experience with ported and sealed and passive subs has been that I like the passive and sealed subs for music tonally but for impact and powerful low extension the ported subs cant be beat especially front ported speakers. I currently use 4 KW-120s and the Slot port IMO has even a more dramatic effect than the traditional port. The slots in my KL-650s even seem to have more impact than my old 83 rear ported towers. Just my 2 cents the Ultra 13 with front ports would tip the scale easily.

Thank you so much for all the responses. I guess the PB Ultra 13 has won I will just have to take a piece of cardboard and cut to the dims from SVS and see just how much bigger it is. Being able to use it ported or sealed is a flexibility I hadn't really thought of. Carl you and MichaellandKlipsch have amazing systems to say the least. Carl I really wanted those Bass bins you had for sale but….being a responsible grown up does suck sometimes.

Carl I really wanted those Bass bins you had for sale but….being a responsible grown up does suck sometimes.

True dat. I try to avoid it at all costs! The bass bins (and KP-250's) went right past you on their way to Oregon.

Pb-13 ultras are awesome but let me say that if you were gonna spend 2,000$ like I did Witt thinking you were buying the best I can assure you money can be better spent. For instance, I am debating on getting rid of my ultras and going with either a seaton submersive or jtr captivator sealed sub. I have recently heard both and spoken with some real bass heads that owned ultras before. One guy even owned 4 ultras and got rid of them for a pair of jtr captivators. So for 500$ more you could have a seaton submersive over the ultra and I can assure you it has much more headroom and is going to be much more musical with dual 15"s. just a thought. In case you get upgrade itis like most do.

Scrappy I have to say I have never heard of the JTR. These are amazing but I must admit I know better than to ask my wife about JTR unless we were going to build a dedicated home theater. So think I will end up with a pair of Ultra's, I just hope there will be some output gain. The servo's play low and clean but there have been a lot tech steps forward since the sevo's were made. I guess I am just looking for two sub setup with more pressure than I have now. SVS has assured me that the ultra will out perform the servo.So we will see. Thanks for posting about JTR maybe that will be in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

With the 13-Ultra, you can change the port tuning to 20Hz (factory default), 16Hz or sealed. You also get 1000 watts RMS and 3600 watts peak power. I got the PC13-Ultra and it is a beast! With SVS, you get a 45-day free trial. If you don't like the sub, you can send it back. And, it's free shipping both ways.

I preffer something else other than presented, but if it was between the two (ported or sealed), I'd take the sealed.

If I'm going to take a sonic penalty (using a direct radiator design) I'd much rather use the design where the distotrtion present is most "in-time" with the original signal, rather than less altogether.

See: http://www.bksv.com/doc/17-198.pdf page 13, fig. 34

With the 13-Ultra, you can change the port tuning to 20Hz (factory default), 16Hz or sealed. You also get 1000 watts RMS and 3600 watts peak power. I got the PC13-Ultra and it is a beast! With SVS, you get a 45-day free trial. If you don't like the sub, you can send it back. And, it's free shipping both ways.

this statement is untrue. They are only offering that on their new ultra speakers. The subs, if returned within trial, are payed for by the customer to ship back. I think when I asked what a pb-13 ultra would cost to ship back they said flat rate of 170$. So think of it as a restocking fee. But if you order a pb-13 you ain't gonna send it back. I can assure you that.