Klipsch Cornwall III Review by Boomzilla

Boomzilla

• 4 years later...
On 3/18/2013 at 4:35 AM, Boomzilla said:

Hi Daddy Dee -

You're right. It makes no sense to mod a brand new speaker set. Therefore, I'm going to sell my CW-3s and shop about for some CW-1s or some Heresy 3s with a small sub. To the Florida gent who offered to swap his CW-1s for my 3s, I say OK if you throw in an additional $1,250 and then only if your speakers are in pristine condition.

For anyone in the Baton Rouge area that wants a BARGAIN on a pair of CW-3s, PM me. I'm thinking half the new price - $2K per pair.

On 3/16/2013 at 3:12 AM, Boomzilla said:

The Cornwall IIIs are a completely different animal. Klipsch has abandoned their plywood construction and now uses MDF. For their La Scala model, the MDF is significantly thicker and avoids any change to the sound. For the Cornwalls, however, the MDF is the same thickness as the previous models' plywood - 3/4". For this reason (or not?), the cabinet now "sings along" with the driver to a FAR greater extent than with the previous Cornwall model. This results not only in a very muddled bass line, but also in a "sameness" to the bass.

The discontinuity between the woofer and the midrange is still there, but now is more pronounced because of the "faster" titanium driver in the midrange horn. The discontinuity, formerly only occasionally noticeable, is now distressingly audible and for almost all types of music.

Further, the treble is now voiced from a titanium-diaphragm tweeter horn. Although more extended than the old Electro-Voice T-35 tweeter (used in the type I), the treble can now be excessively bright on axis. Position the speaker so that the listening position is not on axis, and the woofer-to-midrange discontinuity becomes more obvious.

Couldn't disagree more.  For one thing, MDF is a better material for speakers; it's denser and less prone to warping - it's use is ubiquitous in high-end speakers.   ..And I've not been able to get my Cornwall III's to "sing along" w/ either music or tones.  It's hard to believe such an obvious flaw would go unnoticed by the engineering team who designed the CWIII's.   To my ears (which perform well on hearing tests), the bass sounds very detailed and extended. ..None of the blurring Boom has noted.  Same w/ respect to the "discontinuities" he describes.  ..I hear none of this.  

As a more general comment, and I'm not trying to flame Boomzilla here, but it's totally predictable that when a newer version of a speaker is introduced there will be those who claim that all improvements ended w/ the particular version they own.  ..It's as if the crack team of engineers who made their version lost their marbles just as they were designing the successor.  Or that the brand suddenly changed their focus from improving performance to only cutting costs.  I recall reading this when Vandersteen went from 3A to 3Asig, Paradigm from Studio 100 ver4 to 5, Paradigm S8 v2 to v3 (w/ Berrylium Tweeter), and so on.

The bottomline: try to avoid being overly influenced by on-line reviews.  Go and listen and form your own opinions.