Building first home theatre, need some advice/direction.

Markaveli

Hi all, new here and to Home Theatre.

Im working on my new HT in my homes bonus room, which is approximately 19'x16'. Screen placement will be on the 16' wall. The main seating will be at about 12ft.

I have fronts and center channel that i will be using until I can replace them with new Klipsch equipment. My fronts consist of Floorstanding Acoustic Research AR5 HI-res with each housing a 10'' Sunfire powered sub and an Acoustic Research AR4c center. All to be powered by a Marantz 5007.

I looking to purchase Klipsch RS-42 II for my surround left/right and Rb-51 II for my rears. Would this be a good match for the time being until I can replace the fronts? I was thinking the Rf-52 II for the fronts and RC-52II center when I can complete the Klipsch setup. Would these be a good match for the for mentioned rear surrounds?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums Mark. My HT is similar in size to your s (13' x 19' with 10' ceilings). If it were me, I would consider upgrading my center and mains and going with a 5.1 to start with.

RF-82 Mains
RC-62 Center
RS-42 Surrounds

I have not heard any of the II Series so I am referring to the original RF-82 system.

I'm just trying to postpone the "upgraditis" bug. The RF-82's are fantastic speakers and the RC-62 is a big step above the RC-62.

I would also consider going a bit larger for the room size you have. The 5.1 setup to begin with would be better and getting the L,C,R upgraded first would be ideal. Youth suggested the RF-82II and RC-62II. These would be great for this size room or you could even look for a used set of the RF-63 with an RC-64 Center possibly in a similar price range and still achieve amazing audio for the room you have. Welcome to the forum.

Whats the budget?

I dont have one set at the moment. It may take a little time, but i want to do it right. Should I be thinking dual 10'' or 12'', or a single?

Im trying to get a list together so I can get a ballpark cost figure and start purchasing a few pieces at a time.

Really depends on your listening habits and your budget. There are alot of options out there. On the cheap could be two bic-pl200's for around 500-550$. Little more could get you a single svs pb-12nsd for 770$ or something from psa audio. They have 15" versions for around the same 7-800$. Can get real crazy and do svs pb-13 ultras. Also look into rythmik audio, hsu research. Lots of stuff out there. I have dual ultras from svs but would love some seaton submersives or jtr captivator s2's.

• Moderators

It may take a little time, but i want to do it right.

Mark, I'm not sure if you realize it or not but you are a wise man. If you are willing to be patient, to look for great deals, to do your research and to know what your ultimate end goal is going to be that will truly make you happy and build it over time, it is definitely doable. I used to think only rich people had home theaters. That is simply not the case. Much of my HT was purchased used and along the way, I have found some simply crazy killer deals.

For example, the SVS sub that Scrappy mentioned for $750....there is one local to me for $350 - Link

I just looked through Savannah, Brunswick and Statesville as I believe those are your closest Craigslist locations. Nothing really jumped out Klipsch wise. I did find this Velodyne HGS 15 sub in your area. He's on the high side of it's value, even though I have seen them sell on Ebay for $800 - $900 recently. I was running dual HGS15's just 6 months ago. I paid $200 for one and $250 for the second. I just recently traded one of them for a pair of B&W DM 603 S3's. He had the B&W's listed at $700 so it was an even trade.

• Moderators

What size would be suitable?

I started out with a Velodyne 10", then went to a 15", then two other 15" and now dual 15". Can you tell I REALLY like the impact of a 15" for HT? If I could get an 18" at a steal, I would. Bottom line is to increase SPL, you need surface area to move air. Larger the driver, typically the more air you move and the more SPL you can achieve.

As you build your setup, if your system will be primarily used for movies, do not skimp on your center or your sub as these are the two most important speakers in your system.

Whats the budget?

I dont have one set at the moment. It may take a little time, but i want to do it right. Should I be thinking dual 10'' or 12'', or a single?

Im trying to get a list together so I can get a ballpark cost figure and start purchasing a few pieces at a time.

I would recommend at least a 12. Anything smaller and it wouldn't have much output down low (even if it claims it does it probably don't). You don't have to go that low but you will want it at some point and just saves buying ones down the road that can. Size matters with subs more than any other speaker you will buy. Small subs are popular from a placement and wife factor mostly. There are exceptions to everything but in most cases if its big, heavy, and built with good drivers it will destroy something much smaller.

• Moderators

There are exceptions to everything but in most cases if its big, heavy, and built with good drivers it will destroy something much smaller.

Looking back at the 7 subwoofers I have owned, your assessment is absolutely true.

I'm personally a fan of the Klipsch SW-115. If you shop around, you can probably get a new one for $600-$650. I'm surprised that scrappy didn't mention it (because he usually does =^P), but whatever you do, do not pay MSRP! Go to this link--->http://www.klipsch.com/authorized-online-dealers, find which dealers have what you want, and then actually call them to get the best deal. You will be surprised at what you can get the speakers for. I ended up upgrading my entire system because I was able to get a great deal by shopping around.