Sound Insulation Stories: Successes/Less Than Successes.

akdave

We are going to be putting an addition on our house this summer and I will be able to put a theater (exercise combo) room downstairs. I have been reading forums, articles and blogs on soundproofing but I am curious from the members here what have you done to insulate sound from the rest of your house that has worked or not worked.

A new living room will be directly above the theater so we are planning on suspending the ceiling from the floor joists above and adding insulation and sound board between the sheetrock and "hangers". I am exploring the option of Acoustiblok or something similar in addition. We will be offsetting wall studs as well. Anyone have experience with these methods? Room will be appx 24'x23'.

I appreciate the feedback. I want to take advantage of the new construction opportunity to do things right, but I don't want to waste time and money on methods that have proven to be ineffective in application. AND as a father of an 8 month old - it would be nice to be able to watch a movie after bed time even if it's not at reference levels! [;)]

first off congratulations on the new addition to your family as for soundproofing I soundproofed my theater room. its on the 4 th floor of the house but I knew the sound would resonate through the halls etc down through the house. It worked really well but you can still feel the bass regardless. Kinda like when you are at the movies and your going to see a normal viewing but you can hear the imax theater. I used sound proof boards and insulation and even have acoustic panels which def. help the mids+highs. The bass just shakes regardless. 6050 watts of dynamic peaks doesnt care I guess heh.

I've had a horn-loaded subwoofer of some iteration in my apartment for over 5 years now, and we live within 10 vertical feet of my immediate neighbor and 35 feet from four others.

We've never had a single complaint...and it's not like we baby the system on movie night.

It's all about the power. Less is better. [Y]

first off congratulations on the new addition to your family as for soundproofing I soundproofed my theater room. its on the 4 th floor of the house but I knew the sound would resonate through the halls etc down through the house. It worked really well but you can still feel the bass regardless. Kinda like when you are at the movies and your going to see a normal viewing but you can hear the imax theater. I used sound proof boards and insulation and even have acoustic panels which def. help the mids+highs. The bass just shakes regardless. 6050 watts of dynamic peaks doesnt care I guess heh.

Only 6050? That's cute [:P]

what have you done to insulate sound from the rest of your house that has worked or not worked.

I close the windows and the front door. Can't hear the system from the outside. Big Smile

This is the wisdom I seek! [:P] I will do as you recommend! [:)]