Can I use the K-700 horn in a Cornwall?

soleful247

My understanding is a follows:

The Cornwall used a metal K-600. (Though for a while this was called a Cornwall II to distinguish it from a yet earlier version with widely spaced components.)

The Cornwall II used a plastic K-600, maybe called a K-601.

The Cornwall III uses a plastic K-700, maybe called a 701. This was because somehow the tooling for the K-601 was lost.

So I don't see why you can't use whatever 700 you have.

PWK had a progression midrange horns of the general design.

K-400 for K-Horn and LaScala

K-500 for Belle

K-600 for Cornwall

And K-700 for Heresy.

Generally, they are scaled versions except that all (in the original versions) took the K-55 driver.

Also generally they are reduced in lenght as we go up in number to fit in the cabinet or respective speakers. Mouth size reduces too.

The theoretical cut off Fc of the K-400 was about 0.707 of 400 Hz and it was used down to 400 Hz. The same scaling probably applies to the others.

WMcD

You could but you would have to make crossover changes and I think it would be a step backwards. Why would you want to do that? I know Klipsch did this with the CW lll but I se that as a marketing /homage thing nor a technical improvement. With horns bigger IS better smaller IS worse. K600 plays lower. A cornwall mid driver won't play as highs as a K53 driver will so you need a horn wich will play lower with that alnico driver. These two hors are very similar in design and sound but their range differs. The two horns are more similar than they are different. Most people want to go to a larger mid horn and some go to a larger horn and driver and go two way rather than three way.

What is it youy are looking for what is it that you want to do? Bob Crites has a wide assortment of three and teo way designs for Cornwall cabinet designs Why not study his work and fo;llow a path with known and tested performance. Bob is a great guy and offers superb support to all. I hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

PS: here is a fine example of a two way CW with modern horn and driver at a bargan price. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/173178.aspx

That's a shame but it's not a good reason for using a K701 in place of a K601 in a Cornwall. It may well be a practical reason but that is a different issue. That is not to say that Klipsch do not have their reasons. This would appear to be a situation where they just do not want to spend any more money on the Heritage line than they have to. They really do not want to have competition between the RF and Heritage products. The RF line up is the bread and butter line up for Klipsch. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Klipsch lost the mold to the K-600, that's why they went with the K-700 in the C III. Kind of sad really.

So true... Where is the mold to the K-601? Can that be used?

I don't like the more pinched sound or shrunken sound field of the K-700. Presumably you want the more expansive sound of a full-fledged Cornwall, not a sort of hybrid Heresy.

• Like 1