Legacy Focus Speakers

Boxx

I picked up this pair about a year ago and they have been sitting upstairs ever since. Has anyone had much experience in using with them. It will be a real task bringing them downstairs as they are really heavy.

photo DSC_0151.jpg

photo DSC_0152.jpg

I have a pair exactly like those. They are truly outstanding loudspeakers, in the B&W 801/802 class sonically at a fraction of the price. At about 94 dB/W sensitivity, I found that they can be easily driven with a 50W c-j tube amp. If you want to biamp them (which I highly recommend), the woofer crossover is easily (and reversibly) bypassed (don't just remove the jumpers on the back panel; go inside and physically disconnect the crossovers), while the midrange/tweeter/supertweeter crossover can remain intact.

I love them.

- Greg

PS I have a pair of JPS Golden Flutes that I'd let you have for the price of shipping. I no longer need them because I take care of all EQ in my digital crossover.

I have a pair exactly like those. They are truly outstanding loudspeakers, in the B&W 801/802 class sonically at a fraction of the price. At about 94 dB/W sensitivity, I found that they can be easily driven with a 50W c-j tube amp. If you want to biamp them (which I highly recommend), the woofer crossover is easily (and reversibly) bypassed (don't just remove the jumpers on the back panel; go inside and physically disconnect the crossovers), while the midrange/tweeter/supertweeter crossover can remain intact.

I love them.

- Greg

PS I have a pair of JPS Golden Flutes that I'd let you have for the price of shipping. I no longer need them because I take care of all EQ in my digital crossover.

Thanks for the info... You are very generous with your offer for the JPS Golden Flutes. I can't pass it up. I'll pm you this afternoon.

Three active 12" woofers. Two roll-off (1st-order -- a really big inductor) above 60 Hz; the third rolls-off (2nd-order, IIRC) at 180 Hz. That's right; all three are active below 60 Hz, only one continues between 60 Hz and 180 Hz. It's a little weird, and in my biamped version I use all three up to 180 Hz with a bit of contouring.

Greg

Boxx, those are pretty cool looking speakers, too. would love to hear them.

at first glance thought that must be a passive radiator on the back of the cab, but there are also ports. so that is another driver? a sub perhaps?

Dee, Here is some info taken from an article that I found...

The cabinet is extremely solid and beautifully finished, if not quite as luxuriously as JMlab's Utopias, the big Wilsons, or Legacy's own more costly models; four large spikes couple the speaker to the floor. Around back are one of the two 12" subwoofers, the two reflex ports, and a hookup panel equipped with two sets of stout binding posts and three switches. The first of these changes the low-frequency impedance contour when using amplifiers with high current capability. This option, according to Legacy, "converts the Focus from a traditional B4 alignment to a more sophisticated sixth-order Butterworth alignment, thus reducing distortion in the octave above system resonance." Unless the speaker is being driven with a low-powered receiver, Legacy recommends that the leftmost switch be left in the Up, or B6, position.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/legacy-audio-focus-2020-loudspeaker

The Focus 2020 is a little later version of the same loudspeaker, but the accolades offered in that article apply to the earlier version, as well.

BTW, I spoke with Bill Dudleston (Legacy's chief designer) several years ago at the factory in Springfield, IL, and I mentioned that the Focus bass sounded almost "Klipsch like". He commented that he had learned quite a lot about how speakers should sound from Klipsch.

Heard legacies at an audio show. Very nice.

Looks like ribbon tweeters. You are in for quite a treat, make sure you sit on axis with the tweeters, sweetest sound you will ever hear from a tweeter, but you have to be on axis.

Thanks, I'll give a report when I have these guy's up and working.

You are very generous with your offer for the JPS Golden Flutes. I can't pass it up. I'll pm you this afternoon.

Never heard from you on the Golden Flutes. They're not going anywhere, so if you decide that you want them later, just PM.

You are very generous with your offer for the JPS Golden Flutes. I can't pass it up. I'll pm you this afternoon.

Never heard from you on the Golden Flutes. They're not going anywhere, so if you decide that you want them later, just PM.

pm sent....