sound absorber recomendation

TroyTN

I want to get some sound absorbers for my side walls and possibly front wall. I have found some RPG Pro foam and Sonex. Does anyone have a recomendation on which would be better for my RF-7's. Are there others available that are effective? The sonex are sold in sheets of 24" x 48" and has options of 500hz and 1000hz absorbive sheets. Which would be better? I have extreme slap echo in my room.

Thanks

Troy

------------------

Troy...

one word. Cat. I hear they are great for dampening subs, especially ported subs haha.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Here is a question-

What kind of sound are you trying to absorb- do you want bass to sound less boomy or do you want to reduce room reflections? I am unclear what "slap echo" is.

For equalization purposes, I would take the 1000Hz. According to the frequency response charts I've seen in magazines, Rf7's have a dip in the mid bass and a small rise in the midrange. However, neither of these solutions are specialized to tighten up bass.

I would place foam in the corners first, then behind the listening area and on the side walls. Also, try angling your speakers in to lessen wall reflections.

This message has been edited by lne937s on 06-26-2002 at 02:10 PM

...options of 500hz and 1000hz absorbive sheetsf>s>

I'm sorry, but that has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

This is what I did:

I used my daughters full length mirror and laid it against the side wall adjacent to the right channel.

I sat down at the listening position and looked into the mirror to see if I could see the drivers.

I kept sliding the mirror along the wall until the drivers came into view.

This area on the wall is the source of the first, or primary reflections from the drivers.

I repeated this procedure for the left channel.

I then found some packing foam at work, already sized in small rectangular squares. I took my RF7 grills and turned them around and set the foam inside the grills -- then set the grills against the side walls where the mirror dictated the first side wall reflections occured.

I really didn't want to change the sonic character of my RF7's, but instead just wanted to do something that seemed reasonable.

Any soft material will do to absorb wall reflections, and this material will effect ALL frequenies to some degree. To what degree will be determined by how much you use.

When I get my digital camera back, I will post a picture.

f>s>

------------------

Deanf>s>

AE-25 Super Amp DJH * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * Klipsch RF7s f>s>

Metal drivers make metal music shinef>c>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-26-2002 at 07:48 PM

Thanks for all the info...

Dean - great info. Pics would be great. I mainly want to absorb high frequency sound. Not so much the lows. My room walls have movie pictures on them, One large window on the rear wall which I installed black curtains which helped a bunch. But I feel there is still way to much high frequency reflections. The room sounds very bright. I want to try a sound absorbing material at the first reflecton points using a mirror on the side walls and possibly the front wall behind the RF7's as well. I have read that if you can clap your hands and get an echo one needs more absorbtion in the room. My clap echo is terrible.

I have read others that have installed some sort of sound absorbing material at the first point of reflection had an experiance of night and day sound imaging and depth in their front soundstage.

I did a search and found Sonex as the Leader in sound panels. I will check out the other mentioned in this thread.

I know Klipsch can be "bright" to some and when I crank my system, It c be bright. I need to deaden my room from reflections I think.

I use an Anthem MCA 30 amp with my RF7's.

Maybe the amp is not a good match for Klipsch? Anyone heard of Anthem and paired with Klipsch?

I love the clarity and depth I get from it.

I think it more my room than the amp being to bright. I could be wrong. I will know once I try some absorbers. Thanks again for your input

Troy