Amplifier help please

superedge88

I now have a pair of CF-4's and thusly finalized my left and right speakers for my bedroom theater. My bedroom theater receiver will always be the receiver that was displaced by a receiver upgrade in the main home theater. Currently I have a Denon 989 powering the CF-4's but fully realize that they would benefit from a pair of monoblock amplifiers. Here's the catch, the receiver/preamp that I will be using in the future has balanced outputs which are XLR. So I am looking for a pair of monoblock amplifiers that have both balanced and unbalanced inputs. I am looking for any suggestions that would be in the 200-300 watt into 8 ohms range and under 500 dollars each, I prefer used since there is typically much better value to be found. Any suggestions?

• Moderators

The acurus doesn't have balanced inputs, but the emotiva does.Thanks Youthman!

Sorry about that, I read the first few sentences and the last few and missed the part about needing balanced inputs.

The acurus doesn't have balanced inputs, but the emotiva does.Thanks Youthman!

Sorry about that, I read the first few sentences and the last few and missed the part about needing balanced inputs.

No problem.

I'm leaning towards the Alto apx1000. It is class D, ultra powerful, no crazy bells and whistles, sleek look (amplifiers will be displayed on top of each CF-4) and they have removable rack ears. The only downside is that I'll have to use an unbalanced to balanced conversion plug until I switch to the balanced output preamp. Reviews on this amplifier look good. Here's a link to the amplifier http://altoproaudio.com/products/apx1000

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-acurus-modial-a200-amplifier-200w-rms-into-8-ohms-x2-2013-04-28-amplifiers-55408-minneapolis-mn

Superedge88,

Youthman is right to suggest this Acurus A200. I know it does not have balanced connections but it will move those CF4's 12 inch woofers with authority and control. I am considering the exact amp mentioned to run one each as monoblocks with my RF-63's. One A200 alone drives my RF-63's like no other amp has before but two would be down right cool.[H] These amps are as quiet as a mouse and run cool as a cucumber.

Also, these B&K's would be just about perfect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-K-Reference-200-1-1-Channel-Amplifier-/300905943587?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item460f645223

Stock photos below. I have seen these as low as $500.00 each on the used market.

BKCREF200.1-2.jpg

BKCREF200.1-3.jpg

Bill

they would benefit from a pair of monoblock amplifiers. Here's the catch, the receiver/preamp that I will be using in the future has balanced outputs which are XLR. So I am looking for a pair of monoblock amplifiers that have both balanced and unbalanced inputs. I am looking for any suggestions that would be in the 200-300 watt into 8 ohms range and under 500 dollars each, I prefer used since there is typically much better value to be found. Any suggestions?

These would fit your post to a tee. They are also on the list of sale items that started today.

XPA100

Sale

they would benefit from a pair of monoblock amplifiers. Here's the catch, the receiver/preamp that I will be using in the future has balanced outputs which are XLR. So I am looking for a pair of monoblock amplifiers that have both balanced and unbalanced inputs. I am looking for any suggestions that would be in the 200-300 watt into 8 ohms range and under 500 dollars each, I prefer used since there is typically much better value to be found. Any suggestions?

These would fit your post to a tee. They are also on the list of sale items that started today.

XPA100

Sale

That is right in line with what I am looking for! Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm leaning towards the Alto apx1000. It is class D, ultra powerful, no crazy bells and whistles, sleek look (amplifiers will be displayed on top of each CF-4) and they have removable rack ears. The only downside is that I'll have to use an unbalanced to balanced conversion plug until I switch to the balanced output preamp. Reviews on this amplifier look good. Here's a link to the amplifier http://altoproaudio.com/products/apx1000

I don't know anything about the Alto amp. How much is it? If it were me I would go for the XPA-2 over this. The XPA-2 puts out 300+ watts a channel and has been used by enough people to know that it's a solid performer. I know the XPA-2 is rated as the same 32db gain as the XPA-5 but for some reason it does not produce as much hiss as the XPA-5. I can also vouch for the Acurus. I heard one matched to RF-7's. I know pro amps can sound good, my QSC sounds great - I just have never heard of the Alto. It may be a wonderful amp and if you've heard it then great. If you're going out on a limb, I would go with one of the other recommendations.

I don't know anything about the Alto amp. How much is it? If it were me I would go for the XPA-2 over this. The XPA-2 puts out 300+ watts a channel and has been used by enough people to know that it's a solid performer. I know the XPA-2 is rated as the same 32db gain as the XPA-5 but for some reason it does not produce as much hiss as the XPA-5. I can also vouch for the Acurus. I heard one matched to RF-7's. I know pro amps can sound good, my QSC sounds great - I just have never heard of the Alto. It may be a wonderful amp and if you've heard it then great. If you're going out on a limb, I would go with one of the other recommendations.
Thanks for the input. The Alto amplifier is $200 which is definitely very friendly. I'm seeking info from alto about these amplifiers (concerning fan noise) if it feels like too much of a gamble I'll just hold off until I can afford something better. I would love to get into a couple of class D, G, or H amplification.