Confused Noob in the Vintage Receiver World....

The vintage receiver market is hotter than two rats bumpin' uglies in a wool sock right now. Pioneer, Marantz, Sansui, Kenwood, JVC, Yamaha, Technics, and it seems like 100 models of each brand! How in the world do you know what to get!?!? Im not real sure what kind of answer Im looking for but I am about as confused and undecided as one can get!

What have you heard?

What sound do you like?

What,how many speakers are you looking to power?

Are you wanting to spin records?

There is alot to think about but, if you can pare your requirements based on the capabilities of a given vintage brand/model, it can make a difference, eliminating in the process.

Harmon Kardon may be on your list as they can be quite good I hear for their warm sound. Sansui,Marantz, Pioneer as you say, others.

The seperate channel/sometime twin transformers H/K do a good job, I read, the 430/930 models. I have an old Panasonic receiver. Watts are the other too consider depending upon your propsed listening levels. If you have not done a search, it is advised. A trove. The LScala should sound good with just about anything with them. That is how good the speakers are. Make a Timex into a Rolex.

Sorry for all the questions but, other's will advise you.

Thanks

Well the HK 430s use to pretty good price but now they are getting up there in price. If you score one or borrow one that would good. Andy [HDBR builder] turned me on to one awhile back and I loved it. Got 2 now and got my son a 730.for his RB35. Rick

The vintage receiver market is hotter than two rats bumpin' uglies in a wool sock right now. Pioneer, Marantz, Sansui, Kenwood, JVC, Yamaha, Technics, and it seems like 100 models of each brand! How in the world do you know what to get!?!? Im not real sure what kind of answer Im looking for but I am about as confused and undecided as one can get!

Vintage gear, hmmm. What kind of vintage.... "Tube'ed" or vintage "SS"?

Price range?

No matter what you choose, anticipate sending her in for repairs.

You might want to look in 2-Channel land, lots of good info tucked away in there.