FINALLY!!! LCR setup is here! Review now included.....

Scrappydue

So I have finally acquired another set of mint rf-63's. they are in black. But all is the same behind a false wall with an AT screen. So some extensive listening is coming over the next couple of weeks with a 63 vs the 64 as a center channel. All will be ran using identical channels on my xpa-5. And if I decide to keep them well then I will be selling my xpa-2 to get and xpa-3 so all channels in my room will

Be receiving the exact same input.

Congratz Scrappy!

Very nice! I just got me a pair of RB-61's from CL and haven't been able to hook them up because all I have is an XPA-5.

I know that feeling and it sucks. (Emo summer sale started....hint hint)

• 3 weeks later...

ok well here is my final thoughts on this LCR thing....

i can say that having three identical speakers up front and having them oriented the same is by far the coolest thing i have experienced in all my home theater adventures so far. the cohesiveness of the front soundstage is just perfect. now i wanted to try a tower out is to see if it was a better center speaker than a rc-64. well i without any measuring gear my opinion is very subjective. but i do not think the rf-63 is any more superior than the rc-64.

i have read lots of stuff about the rc-64 not being quite as clear as either the owner's 63's or 83's. that obviously changed. but that is the only difference i noticed. other than that the sonic characteristics were the same.

I am however splitting up this system as i am still looking for a more movie theater like experience. and to my ears the setup i had did not provide it.

Now with all that being said i am COMPLETELY ADDICTED to the wall of sound that an LCR setup provides. So i am moving to the THX ultra 2 line up and hopefully that one will give me what i am looking for. I will miss the music capabilities of this system, but hey, that's what the cornwalls are for!

Your thoughts on having a center speaker vs an identical to the L and R is very interesting! Hopefully you find that sound you have been looking for. Are you still sticking with your ultras or are you getting the thx ultra 2 subs as well? Also, that's a rocking deal on those 63's. Should make someone very very happy.

I think the center can be a weaker speaker compared to 3 towers (like the rc-52 or 62 with the rf-82 or larger as example). But imo the rc-64 is no joke and dam near the size of a pretty big tower. So its not surprising to me that it compares well vs 3 rf-63s. Good luck with the thx ultra set up I'm sure it will sound amazing. You might also try heights for a bigger sound too. How come your not doing the jtr if i may ask?

I might eventually. I still have a the RB-61's just laying around. The rs-62's are already spoken for as is one of my subs. So one sub to sell and also gonna sell the xpa-2 to get a 3 or maybe another 5. Just want all speakers getting the same amount of juice.