Mint 1972 Klipschorns with sequential serials numbers for sale in Ontario, Canada

K85Horn

My 1985 K-horns only had serial numbers on the low frequency bins and they were 2 numbers apart.

I could not find any serial numbers on the top sections.

The low frequency bins and top sections seem to all match up otherwise.

From what I read on the Klipsch forums, K-horns made in the mid 1970's are desirable.

Whether the serial numbers are consecutive or not seems to get more attention than it deserves. You'd think it would only be dedicated collectors who would give it more than a second thought, but it seems to matter quite a bit to some.

As for 1970s Khorns being better, are you referring to the aluminum K400 horns, as opposed to the later resin K401 horns? Some people see the 401 horns as an improvement and replace the old metal horns with the new 401 type. They have no resonance issues and the castings are smoother.

There's some debate about earlier round Alnico magnets versus later square "mud" magnets on tweeters and squawkers, but all those things are exchangeable, as well as the crossovers. With Khorns, the condition of the cabinets could be a big deciding factor. If the cabinets are like new, that trumps scruffy cabinets, no matter what components are inside.

In my opinion, anyway. [;)]

• 3 months later...