Need subwoofer input/suggestions

SuBXeRo

It's time. The gf and I are in the process of buying our first home and god willing it will close in the next 3 weeks. I now have an opportunity to choose some new subs. Basically it comes down to rythmik audio or svs. I know both are great brands and both will pack a punch.m I kind of lean to svs knowing they re. More established brand and the cylinder subs re more....WAF. Use is mainly for doom boom during movies and lower is better. The wall is about a 17 foot span at about 12 foot deep.

Let the debate and suggestions begin. I'm not opposed to DIY but I can't cover a box worth a shit with veneer and in the end I feel like it costs me the same as buying subs and those subs will look perfect.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch svs web sight outlet store area for good deals on subs. I got an amazing deal on my ultra and a pretty good deal on one of my +s. With how much money i have spent on subs its nice to know they will be around (most likely) if i ever have a problem. Hard to find anyone that wasn't happy with their svs sub. https://www.svsound.com/outlet-specials

budget....not sure yet to be honest. For sure, nothing over $3,000. I have a preference for downfiring subs because they make placement very easy so i am very partial to the svs pc12-plus and its also better in price for me too! I am looking to achieve something that i heard a number of years ago. I saw pirates of the carribean the black pearl in an ultimate electronics on a klipsch THX setup with the klipsch THX subs and i heard something, something i havent heard on any other system. In the beginning when the aztec gold coin is dropped off the ship and it sends that shockwave through the sea. The shockwave actually hits so low that i have only heard the true tremor on the THX sub. I want to hear that sound again so a true bottom digging sub is what i want. I am partial to downfiring but i am more than willing to have a front firing sub as well. I like rythmik because of their use of 15" drivers which can/should have an advantage over smaller drivers. Their use of servo technology also intrigues me. I am also looking at getting a dual sub setup, one just isnt going to cut it for me. Thanks all for the good joo joo on the house buying. The sellers are being a bit tough here but the phoenix market is booming. I'm also, in this case upgrading from emo ultra sub12's to give you an idea where i am coming from.

delayed doublepost, read below

are you wanting single, or duals? if single and WAF is an issue i highly recommend a single seaton submersive hp. also no sure how long it has been since you looked at PSA subs but they have that new triax that kind of resembles the rt-12d but uses the same amps that jtr and seaton sounds is using in theirs. so i am betting that is very strong contender. i know i havent even mentioned the two companies you asked about. only because i own two svs ultras and for not much more money there are other options out there. mine was no question that i had to have cherry to match existing setup.

Two pc-13 ultra would be in your budget if you get them on sale. Svs gives 5% off to return customers also so you would get 5% off on the 2nd sub even if its on sale. If you didn't get them on sale after the 5% it would be around 3300 for two. They also have 45 day full return (they pay shipping both ways). It use to be just on the new ultra speakers but they now have it on all products. So if your not happy send it back and get every penny back. Two 12+s would be awesome too (i have two) and would be plenty if your room and placement isn't somehow in the way. But to me after owning both i would get the ultra and be blown away. Im not saying it is or isn't worth the extra money but if you want the best bass you can get for a 3k budget and you want two subs get the ultras. That 13.5" driver by itself weighs as much as most 15" drivers and cabinet combined. Back when i got my first svs i looked at rythmik really hard and was very impressed with what i found.

i never heard of PSA subs, looking at them now. I have heard of Seaton but they are super spendy and i dont think they are worth the dough and at that, i could only afford one.

well like I said if waf is an issue the seaton subs are worth every penny. I own dual ultras and have heard a single submersive and was extremely impressed. One of those can do about 97% of what my duals can do, minus of course smooth frequency response you get from duals. Could also look into JTR subs. You can get them finished in veneers. Only reason I mentioned the submersive is if you can only do a single sub. If you can do duals than I would take my ultras still. Although the seaton can be had in an array of gorgeous finishes. Svs are only in black now. Psa also has some veneer options now that sound very intriguing.

i never heard of PSA subs, looking at them now. I have heard of Seaton but they are super spendy and i dont think they are worth the dough and at that, i could only afford one.

well like I said if waf is an issue the seaton subs are worth every penny. I own dual ultras and have heard a single submersive and was extremely impressed. One of those can do about 97% of what my duals can do, minus of course smooth frequency response you get from duals. Could also look into JTR subs. You can get them finished in veneers. Only reason I mentioned the submersive is if you can only do a single sub. If you can do duals than I would take my ultras still. Although the seaton can be had in an array of gorgeous finishes. Svs are only in black now. Psa also has some veneer options now that sound very intriguing.

Good point if you want something other than black you would need to look at something different. Not sure why svs made this change (I'm sure its money).

I am not considering a single sub just because of room response. I want the next set of subs to be a pair that will do what i need and have some good longevity. The WAF in this case is.....somewhat important but i have a significant other who doesn't mind good sounding movies and is willing to cave a bit on certain aspects. I would say the SVS cylinder subs have the most WAF and are easily placed almost anywhere especially with their downfiring design can be placed anywhere really. PSA has some interesting offerings but one thing that bothers me is that the cones have foam surrounds. I know it sounds stupid but i have seen way too many foam surrounds fail due to age than rubber surrounds. Thats my only qualm and one reason why HSU isn't on my short list. JTR has some beastly offerings but a bit out of my price range for dual subs. I know that my next purchase is going to be a good one know matter what just because of the caliber of subs that i am looking at. Color wise, black is OK in my book. Everything else audio wise i own is black home theater wise and i am not about to refinish the 7's to match the subs.

Two pc-13 ultra would be in your budget if you get them on sale. Svs gives 5% off to return customers also so you would get 5% off on the 2nd sub even if its on sale. If you didn't get them on sale after the 5% it would be around 3300 for two. They also have 45 day full return (they pay shipping both ways). It use to be just on the new ultra speakers but they now have it on all products. So if your not happy send it back and get every penny back. Two 12+s would be awesome too (i have two) and would be plenty if your room and placement isn't somehow in the way. But to me after owning both i would get the ultra and be blown away. Im not saying it is or isn't worth the extra money but if you want the best bass you can get for a 3k budget and you want two subs get the ultras. That 13.5" driver by itself weighs as much as most 15" drivers and cabinet combined. Back when i got my first svs i looked at rythmik really hard and was very impressed with what i found.

+1 for the SVS PC13-Ultra. It digs deep, has a 60lb driver and a 1KW amp with 3600W peak power. It has a 16" footprint. I plan on getting my 2nd one early next year.

Ref when I was told about this they said they didn't sell enough of the others to wanna keep them in stock. So svs went all black. Also keep in mind that you can get passive versions and veneered JTR captivators and get an external amp. Benefit of that is amp ever fails you can buy a new one or seek other options. I'm about to switch out my ultras for some passive subs myself. PC-13 ultras would be awesome. I have read a few different places that the boxes dig just a bit deeper than the cylinders but the boxes are huge. And the cylinders are sweet looking.

Ref when I was told about this they said they didn't sell enough of the others to wanna keep them in stock. So svs went all black. Also keep in mind that you can get passive versions and veneered JTR captivators and get an external amp. Benefit of that is amp ever fails you can buy a new one or seek other options. I'm about to switch out my ultras for some passive subs myself. PC-13 ultras would be awesome. I have read a few different places that the boxes dig just a bit deeper than the cylinders but the boxes are huge. And the cylinders are sweet looking.

Ok that makes sense. I personally like having the sub amp in the box. One less thing to try and fit into the rack (and no i wouldn't want it on top of the sub). Plus having an amp built and matched for that sub gives me peace of mind that its set up right and not being wasted somehow (not knowing would drive me nuts). If it breaks they send you a new one (pretty easy). The ultra is already way out of my price range for sub. Going any higher would be hard for me but you never know in this hobby lol. Pretty much ever part of my set up is out of my price range at this point.

Also keep in mind that you can get passive versions and veneered JTR captivators and get an external amp. Benefit of that is amp ever fails you can buy a new one or seek other options. I'm about to switch out my ultras for some passive subs myself.

The passive route is a good way to go. As Scrappysue said it avoids the problem with plate amp and amps can be change to increase performance without buying a whole new sub or subs. Some amps can support 2-4 subs keepint the cost down if more than one sub is needed. I am impressed with the sealed subs ability to get into the single digit although their near 20 Hz performance is slightly less than comparable vented subs. But, the vented subs drop fast below their tune frequency so, it is a matter of preference. I know with my passive sealed subs things start to rattle in the house around 10-12 Hz.