Need subwoofer input/suggestions

SuBXeRo

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think part of the "ported is better for HT" debate is that you can more readily achieve lower frequencies with less power/smaller drivers. There are obvious negatives to ported such as port/vent noise and not much response below the ported frequency. Sealed doesn't suffer from either of those, well, not as sharp of a roll off at the low end. With an 18" sealed like the dayton, achieving those lows requires more power and a bigger driver. In the end though it comes down to individual design of the driver itself and the exact specs of the enclosure ported or sealed. In regards to the amp, i don't care about lugging the amp around since i am setting it and forgetting it. My UMC-1 has the EQ ability so i should be able to boost as needed with it if needed. I just want to get a quality amp that will last. I dont worry about weight and what they may have skimped on to achieve that lower weight.

I think part of the "ported is better for HT" debate is that you can more readily achieve lower frequencies with less power/smaller drivers. There are obvious negatives to ported such as port/vent noise and not much response below the ported frequency. Sealed doesn't suffer from either of those, well, not as sharp of a roll off at the low end. With an 18" sealed like the dayton, achieving those lows requires more power and a bigger driver. In the end though it comes down to individual design of the driver itself and the exact specs of the enclosure ported or sealed. In regards to the amp, i don't care about lugging the amp around since i am setting it and forgetting it. My UMC-1 has the EQ ability so i should be able to boost as needed with it if needed. I just want to get a quality amp that will last. I dont worry about weight and what they may have skimped on to achieve that lower weight.

Port noise is really annoying and to me a deal breaker (its the worst part of cheaper ported subs imo). You wont get any port noise from an ultra not even a tiny hint, zero! (also zero noise from the svs 12 +s) not sure from the lower level svs models. I have tried the 15hz tune and keep coming back to 20hz. Its just has a nice smooth sound to it. I think most people run them at 15hz. I have tried both ported and sealed and like both a lot. The empire had great mid bass and was probably a great sub for music (and ht).

There are 2 PC13-Ultras for sale on AVS for $800.

They have the older bash amps but that is an amazing deal. This would be all you would need $800 and your done make it happen lol.

I really do want the Sledge amp.

Plus, I can't spend any big money until next year. In the middle of a bathroom remode, then need to save for the holidays.

I will be buying some RS-62's in August, though. Need to get my surround going.

They have the older bash amps but that is an amazing deal. This would be all you would need $800 and your done make it happen lol.

Plus, I can't spend any big money until next year. In the middle of a bathroom remode, then need to save for the holidays.

Both amps are nice from what i have read. What are you using for surrounds atm?

Surrounds = nothing for the moment. Used to be my Chorus II's with La Scala mains.

Just running 3.1 for now.

Aren't the SVS Bash amps 800W?

Surrounds = nothing for the moment. Used to be my Chorus II's with La Scala mains.

Just running 3.1 for now.

Aren't the SVS Bash amps 800W?

I think they are 800 yes. The sledge amps are 1k so not a huge difference but nice head room i guess.

well, the thing with that idea is that although it isn't bad, it is twice the cost of the amplifier needed thats half the size for just 2 subs. So essentially, i may pay slightly more buying 2 amps, i could pay as I go. I have to think that compared to my ultra sub 12's, these should blow them away and then some and i was quite happy with them as for the most part, their output would happily shake things off the walls.

Knowing what i know now if i were you i would get somthing cheap (like 2 or $300 15" used sub off cl) to tide me over and get a projector and screen all set up. Then i would know how my set up is and where i wanted to put the subs. Also the used sub would give me a great idea on how close i am to what i want. Unless you have money for everything right away then get everything. I have no regrets but man i would have saved so much money if i would have done it that way.

Well, our appraisal come in on target today so we are on schedule for the closing which is great! With that said, i think the projector will come in time and isnt something that i am most likely going to be able to swing yet for a while. Instead, i am going to take that time to research projectors more. I really am not interested in tide me over subs because i know what i am working off from with the dual 12's i had. My reference is made i just hope these subs have the depth i want which is the chance i take. As far as sub placement, i have a very good idea of what will go where and the subs wouldnt interfere with the projection screen at all. This should be quite interesting!