THX-ULTRA2 - Insane Setup!!!

mrogge

I own the complete THX-Ultra2 setup. I have speakers and the sub amp. I haven't bought my preamp or amplifiers yet.

I WILL BE USING CROWN PRO AUDIO AMPLIFIERS.

Why? Because I want to setup the most in insane system possible. I do some custom installation work and figure this is good way to spotlight my abilities.

I NEED HELP SELECTING AMPS.

SETUP #1- I will buy 4 amps + plus the klipsch sub amp (front LR, center, side LR, rear LR)

SETUP#2 - I might buy 5 amps (L, C, R, side LR, rear LR)

SETUP #3 - I might just go INSANE and buy 7 amps and run each speaker with their own.

Here are the specs of the speakers:

KL-650-THX: 150 w max continuous (600 w peak)

KL-525-THX: POWER HANDLING: 100 w max continuous (400 w peak)

KA-1000-THX Amplifier: 500W into 8 ohms, 1000W into 4 ohms

I will be using CROWN XLS series amps. They are powerful and relatively cheap.

XLS 1000

8ohm 215W

8ohm mono 700W

about $300

XLS 1500

8ohm 300W

8ohm mono 1050W

about $325

XLS 2000

8ohm 375W

8ohm mono 1300W

about $400

XLS 2500

8ohm 440W

8ohm mono 1550W

about $500

IF I DECIDE TO PUT MONO AMPS ON EVERY SPEAKER.... XLS1000 is the most I need?? or for another $25 do I put the larger amp on the front LCR.

Whats your opinion. Opinion on what amp to buy and in what configuration. Or I can bi-amp... but havent done any of that before

I recently brought the XLS 1500 and 2500 for my subwoofers. Both very nice amps and the XLS 2500 was clearly stronger than the 1500. I took both back and got a Berhinger I Nuke 3000 DSP. This amp has PEQ, and DEQ with computer GUI for easy setup which is helpful for a bass boost near 20 Hz and to tame a peak. These features was lacking in the Crown amp. The Crown amp are quieter. The Klipsch amp does not EQ the sub but for the price, a Berhinger or Crown with a mini DSP will work as well. Good luck on the the project!