Pioneer SX 950 and chorus

Does anyone own one of these SX 950s?

I have the outlaw 1050, and this unit!

Ive put this unit away 13 times and always brought it back out, i missed it that much!

Does anyone have the specs for this pioneer, the THD caint be more than .001 it seems like!

This pioneer seriously makes my chorus sing!

I replaced the tone switch out of another pioneer a year and a half ago, and here and there i have to clean the switches!

Ive heard the output transistors arent that great, but im going on 3 years with no problems!

I had this unit with my cornwalls, along with mcintosh, and id have to say i could run the 2 systems together hearing no difference at all!

The pioneer is a bit bright, but not to bad to me!

When i had to sell my first Klipsch home theater when my daughter was born, i picked this unit up!

Anyway this is the 2 channel ive been listening to lately, i have the outlaw set up HT as well!

In the meantime, im leaving this unit out to enjoy,

Regards Jim

Jim,

Is it a stereo receiver or audio/video receiver (2 channel or multichannel)?

How many watts per channel and how much does it weigh?

f>s>

------------------

Deanf>s>

AE-25 Super Amp DJH * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * Klipsch RF7s f>s>

Metal drivers make metal music shinef>c>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-30-2002 at 04:53 PM

Jim,

I purchased a SX-780 in perfect condition not long ago and your not hearing things they do sound nice for Solid State. I started a thread asking about them before I bought it and most didn't care for them and said Marantz solid state was the way to go. I don't agree with them at all. The phono section is pretty good in them too !!

Any way's heres a link but not much info.

SX-950

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 06-30-2002 at 05:23 PM

That was built back when Pioneer really cared about how things sounded.

They used discrete components and a big ole power supply in that monster. It's a 2 channel receiver with multiple speaker hookups right?

It probably weighs more than your multichannel Outlaw.

f>s>

------------------

Deanf>s>

AE-25 Super Amp DJH * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * Klipsch RF7s f>s>

Metal drivers make metal music shinef>c>s>

The sx-780 was a 45 watt per channel reciever, the sx-980 was 85 watts pc, the sx-1080 was 120 watts pc, the sx-1280 please sell it to my if you have one was 180 watts pc, and the monster and one of the best recievers probably ever made was the sx-1980 it put out either 275 or 285 watts per channel. It would be one hell of a reciever. I like those old pioneer recievers, they look so good, and they were built very well.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There was a time in the decade of the 1970's that some of the S/S amps and receivers were designed and built to as closely as possible emulate the clarity and warmth of the best tube amps and receivers of that era.

Some of them did a pretty good job of it too!

It seems that as the wallets of consumers got lighter in the early 1980's due to worldwide economic problems, but their desire for large amounts of power from amps was retained...the companies began catering to the "power over quality of sound reproduction" school of design in their S/S amps and receivers...and lower quality (read less expensive and lighter in weight)innards became commonplace in these items...this is readily seen by how much lighter in weight these items became....a general rule of thumb is "heavier is better" for old S/S power amps and receivers. Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages