La Scala Industrial Splits in Atlanta

Islander

Apparently, this listing has been up for a while. A friend of mine called him, and was told the speakers are now out in the guy's garage, per the wife's orders. If you want to hear them, you'll have to bring your own source. My friend is not yet a Klipsch owner and thought they were too big for him, but is looking for something the size of Fortes.

Also, the seller is firm on the price, but it looks like a good price.

I have no interest or affiliation.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ele/3897462575.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to buy them! My first pair of Heritage Klipsch speakers. WAF was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I did tell her that if she did not want them in the living room she could move them herself.

There was an open Cap in the xover. The one between then coil and + - leads for the tweeter. I know this has got to make some folks cringe but I took a cap off an old sansui tweeter and used it to replace the open cap.The networks are AL-3 S? The S is stamped into the metal. I'll be saving up for a rebuild kit and replace the open cap correctly.

The cabinets are in decent shape. Future plans will include veneer and powder coating the metal trim. I saw a cool setup with Cane grills and braces in the bass bin.

My Eico HF-81 seems to like them and my AV receiver too. I do like the extra bit of bass I get from the AV subwoofer. I am not sure how to connect the Eico to the subwoofer. I'll look for another section of the forum for that question.

For now I am enjoying sharing some old and new vinyl with my wife and daughter. SACD's and some other Audio DVD's are being revisted.

Thanks for creating a great resource for these speakers. I am looking forward to growing with these.

Congrats on your new speakers, and welcome to the forum!

The La Scalas look big now, but in a month or so, you may find they've become part of the room and are far less noticeable.

If there are any scratches on the metal trim, do not try to buff them out. The aluminum has a thin anodized layer that's easily damaged. The metal trim may help to stiffen the cabinet sides, making added braces less important. You may hear a lot of discussion about side panels resonating, but you're not likely to actually hear it happening.

Getting a kit to replace all the caps is a good idea, but for now, just enjoy the sound and get used to it. Some people start doing mods right away, and then can't tell whether they improved the sound, or just changed it.

Some subs can be fed a high-level signal, for use with receivers or amps that don't have a Sub Out socket. The speaker cables would go first to the sub, then to the speakers.

Happy listening! [Y][H][Y]

Hello Islander,

My sub does have pre amp inputs as well as speaker cable inputs. I'll dig around a bit to make sure whats what.

So are you saying that id run my amp to the sub first and then to the LSI or rub the LF output only to the Sub then from the sub to the LF input?

If I do anything to the trim I may have it powder coated or reanodised after polishing.

Thanks!

Michael

So are you saying that id run my amp to the sub first and then to the LSI or rub the LF output only to the Sub then from the sub to the LF input?

I was speaking in general terms, and wouldn't want to steer you wrong. You'd be best to consult the instructions for your sub to get the exact way to make the connections. With my own subs, I've always used the line level inputs, so I haven't tried using speaker cable inputs.

My sub does have pre amp inputs as well as speaker cable inputs. I'll dig around a bit to make sure whats what.

You can run speaker wires to the sub amp imputs. The sub amp should have speaker wire output terminals that you use to run from there to your speakers.

Hey Islander,

Look what I found!

...About

the only reason I hesitate is that I am using two small powered subs

and there is no pre out on the HF-81 so I would have to take it from

the speaker outs at high level...

You
may be in luck. The tape out on the HF-81 is between the linestage
section and the voltage amp of the power amp section. Incredibly dumb
for a tape output, but it actually makes it a pre-out. I've never used
a subwoofer myself, but it should work for you.
There's a link to the schematic here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~eico_hf81/

Seems that my Eico Tape ouputs can be used to drive my subwoofer. Woot!!!

Another plus for the HF 81.

Thank you for suggesting that I go out and look for the manuals!

Michael

• 2 years later...